Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 07:22:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

73 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions Not Needed in Buy/Sell/Trade  (Read 2035 times)

JesseVader08

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Playing with my Galactic Heroes
Opinions Not Needed in Buy/Sell/Trade
« on: September 04, 2005, 06:14:38 PM »

I'm probably not going to make any friends with this topic, but I have to get this off my chest.  Why do some people feel the need to post their opinions about the items or prices in others people's buy/sell/trade threads?  That's why we have mods. 

If you're not interested in the items, keep your yap shut.

Lord Wader

Re: Opinions Not Needed in Buy/Sell/Trade
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 07:01:51 PM »

Some people feel the need to slam others :mad0177: if thats what you're referring to.

But you are right though  :r2d2::

Barada

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 07:43:57 PM »

I can agree with that too.

If there's a problem, there's always the 'Notify Moderator' button.

Barada

Nighttrain

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • One more time tonight..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 09:36:06 AM »

I don't agree with that..if someone is asking for a rediculous price for something I would hope a fellow snowrooper would let him and the buyers know that the price is outrageous and that the buyers can do better else where...Thats the point of this forum I thought, to help each other out???
Well I'm a west coast struttin'
One bad mother
Got a rattlesnake suitcase
Under my arm
Said I'm a mean machine
Been drinkin' gasoline
And honey you can make my motor hum

Gnosis

• (A++ Trader) - Bird King of La Mancha
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Birdman Of Steel
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 11:57:05 AM »

I don't agree with that..if someone is asking for a rediculous price for something I would hope a fellow snowrooper would let him and the buyers know that the price is outrageous and that the buyers can do better else where...Thats the point of this forum I thought, to help each other out???

I am inclined to argee with that actually.
However I can see both sides of fences
Snowtroopers.ca: Gnosis
Rebelscum feedback: Gnosis

darth_keg

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 12:32:10 PM »

then the problem is not the act of letting the person know but the method of doing it.  perhaps just a simple pm would be suffice rather than a post that may make the seller feel like a goof.

:u:

Nighttrain

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • One more time tonight..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »

Nah, because i would like to think that if for some reason I was gonna pay 40 bucks for an Episode 1 Ric Olie or something like that one of you guys would put a post up before that saying WTF is up with your prices dude, rather then a PM that I would not see?!

I know I should do my homework before buying anything (and I do!), but like I said before...this forum is more of a community for us to help each other out...making sure we dont get ripped off or rip someone else off I think is crucial to that. Pretty much every deal I have made with people on here I apply that theory...I dont want to get ripped off and I surely dont want the person I am dealing with to feel like they are getting the short end of the stick.

....having said all this I do feel we shouldn't be going after sellers like they are crazy scalpers. I love my star wars stuff too and when I sell I dont like to sell em for pennies! I dont think I have really seen anything on here too outrageously priced...somethings I would like to buy but I think they are asking for a little too much but most of the time its right around what the things are worth. So I have no problem with people saying "whats up with your prices dude"...as long as they arent  arguing over a couple bucks is what I am saying.
Well I'm a west coast struttin'
One bad mother
Got a rattlesnake suitcase
Under my arm
Said I'm a mean machine
Been drinkin' gasoline
And honey you can make my motor hum

Lord Wader

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 03:29:04 PM »

The whole thing is, we don't want someone's thread cluttered with unnecessary comments.
If you make a comment about someones pricing and them others join the bandwagon it could get messy and that's what we're trying to avoid. You have to look at it from more than one angle. That individual may not be over charging on purpose and doesn't deserved to be hammered. It's the responsibility of everyone to know what they are buying.

Remember we're the ones that have to keep the peace when things get ugly and I prefer that things don't become escalated :explosion: There is nothing wrong with suggesting that the pricing is out of whack. The problem lies when everyone jumps on board.

If things look fishy let us know we're to help :artoo:

...this forum is more of a community for us to help each other out...
.........totally agree but......

Sometimes it's knowing when not to say something :winking0071:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 01:54:42 PM »

There are rules in effect for selling "current" stuff, I believe, posted in the appropriate forum. The thing is, sometimes peoples' costs for items they're trying to sell are high. When it comes to ordering cases of figures from the States, and then trying to dump the extras, you can't even come close to breaking even by charging the going retail rate.

I think it's pertinent for potential sellers to "justify" their prices a little bit, if it's going to come off as high to the majority of users. For me to sell a #6 Clone I got for $7.44 at WalMart for $15 to someone who can't find one would be contentious, in my mind - but for someone to offer their extra Mustafar Sentries at $15 right now, when they haven't come here yet and the cost associated to getting them was $12 or $13 bucks - I don't see that as offensive at all.

Sometimes high prices are just the cost of doing business, but I'd recommend that the sellers put in a little blurb about why their charging more than some people might find reasonable.

Barada

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »

As far as current retail goes, the rules are very simple, and have been discussed to death.

If it is at retail, and that includes US retail, then the price may NOT be more than the highest retail price in Canada.

If someone ordered a case of figures that haven't reached Canadian retail yet, I can almost guarantee that the individual breakdown of said case will be at or below retail per figure.  Remember, the costs of acquiring a figure (shipping, packaging, etc.) are NOT allowed to be transferred to the next person.

I know some people legitimately want to help, but unfortunately, there are those that figure they can buy a case, overcharge on the extras, and in effect, they get 'free' or at least incredibly cheap figures by doing so.  We discourage that type of practice here at snowtroopers.ca.  These people have ruined it for the rest.

I personally welcome anyone to report a post where new retail product is being sold over retail prices that I happen to somehow miss.

As for non-retail items, a seller can charge whatever they want.  If they think they can get $75 for a long-saber Luke, all the luck to them.  It would be nice if people would stick to market prices, but this cannot be enforced, because a specific price is dependent on so many factors, not the least of which are condition and relative 'rarity', not to mention a market that at times can fluctuate wildly (look at Unleashed for an example).

Chances are though that the person who overcharges in this situation isn't going to get many sales. 

In a post like this, a friendly "you should check your prices" is acceptable, but the insulting replies where someone is referred to as a 'scalper' are not.

Does this make the official stance any clearer?

Barada

Gnosis

• (A++ Trader) - Bird King of La Mancha
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Birdman Of Steel
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 02:29:25 PM »

Now that makes it so much clearer :)
I get it now :)
Snowtroopers.ca: Gnosis
Rebelscum feedback: Gnosis

arizona

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Let me put on my surprised face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 07:33:11 PM »

I have read this topic a few times and I am gonna throw my 2 cents in. I am in total agreement with Jesse. No one should EVER comment on anybody else's asking prices, especially in the thread itself. If you want to PM the person go nuts, but this is how forums can get out of hand by people giving opinions that were never asked for.

As Barada stated the rules are clear about current releases and have been discussed to death. As far as past releases it's pretty much open season.

If you think the price is to high then don't buy and keep your opinion out of it. The seller has every right to charge what he wants as long as it is within the forum rules. (Whether he gets what he's asking for it is a total other story)

I just saw this happen recently to a top notch seller I have dealt with and it has no place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170170
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 73
Total: 75

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 38 queries.