Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 06:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

62 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trivia Contest format and rules  (Read 2871 times)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
Trivia Contest format and rules
« on: September 20, 2005, 11:24:17 AM »

For past, current, and future trivia contests run by myself, the following are the format and rules...

Phase I
In the initial phase, there will be a series of rounds, each one consisting of only one question.  The questions will all be posted in the appropriate trivia contest thread (i.e. the current one).  I will post a question and will give two choices.  These will be listed as "Light Side" and "Dark Side" (rather than the generic "A" and "B").  Please note that the "Light" and "Dark" has nothing to do with whether the character is a good guy or bad guy, etc., it is just for fun more than anything.  For example, the choices could be "Light Side: Darth Vader" and "Dark Side: Luke Skywalker".

Once the question is posted, you will have approximately 48 hours.  In that time, everyone playing will respond with either "Light" or "dark" by sending me a private message. PLease do not post your answer (or worse - the reason why!) in the thread itself, or you will be eliminated!  Any wrong answers, or people who post in the thread will be eliminated, and everyone who answered correctly moves on to the next round.  This continues, until there are only 3 left in the contest.  Therefore, there are no set number of rounds in the first phase of the contest.  The 3 left at the end of Phase I go to Phase II (see below).  

For an easy example of a question from the first phase, let's say for the round 1 question I said "What was Luke's call designation in the Battle of Yavin" and the choices were Light side - Red 7, and Dark Side - Red 5, people would then answer "Dark Side" or "Light Side".  After the set time period (e.g. 48 hours) was up, anyone pm'ing "Light Side", or who post an answer in the thread, would be eliminated.  Any "Dark Side" responders (via PM) would go on to round 2, etc.

Phase II
Once we get into the second phase (i.e. 3 people left) the 4 of us (me and the 3 contestants) will arrange a time to go to the chat room to do a sort of Jeopardy-style round where the winner takes all.  Only the 3 can participate in answering the questions, but other troopers are certainly welcome to come and cheer on your favorites!  You can also answer questions if no one can answer them (wait for me to open it up!).

There will be a set number of categories (i.e. Episode I, Collecting, Star Wars pop culture, etc.), and a set number of questions in each category.  However, unlike Jeopardy, each question is worth the same amount.  Once I post a question, the respondants "Buzz in" (simply type anything (except the answer!) and hit enter, just so your name pops up in the chat window).  This alerts me that you have buzzed.  If multiple people "Buzz in", whoever appears first (and therefore buzzed in first) gets the first crack at it.  If the question is answered correctly, you get 10 points.  If it is incorrect, you lose 5.  If no one is able to answer after a few seconds, two choices will be given - again, a light side and a dark side.  At this point, if you then answer correctly, you get 5 points.  Incorrect answers are not penalized, but the remaining two will be able to buzz in for a free 5 points if you are wrong (as there are only two options) - whoever is quicker to buzz will get it!  Whoever answers correctly gets to choose the next question.

Once all of the questions in each category have been done, there will be one final question worth 25 points.  This will be more difficult, and partial points may be awarded, at the discretion of the Trivia Master (me - hehe :)).  Whoever has the most points after this question is the champion!

For an example of an easy Phase II question, lets say I type "Who is Luke Skywalker's father".  Player A and B both type X and hit enter in the chat, and thus there names both appear in the Chat Window as
Player B: X
Player A: X
Since player B is first, that means he buzzed in first, and he would get to answer.  If he types "Anakin Skywalker", he scores 10 points.  If he types "Your mama" he loses 5 (plus an additional 20 for ticking me off  :mad0177: j/k).  
Now, if we were playing with intellectually challenged troopers who couldn't answer that question, I would then type: "The choices are:  Light Side - Anakin Skywalker.    Dark Side - Greedo"  If player A then buzzed in first, he would score 5 points if he chose "Light Side - Anakin Skywalker" and would lose none if he chose "Dark Side - Greedo" (although he would automatically be eliminated from the tournament for obviously being a Trekkie disguised as a Star Wars fan  :speechless-smiley-004:).  However, if he chose Greedo, Player B and C could then try to buzz in.  The first to buzz in, who knows it must be Light Side (as Dark Side was wrong :crazy:) would get the 5 points.

Hope this is easy enough to understand.  Please PM me with questions or post below (I may dlete the posts later to keep this tidy - so be warned!), and I can modify this to reflect any changes/additions to the rules
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:12:19 PM by brianakarobin »

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
Re: Trivia Contest format and rules
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »

I have to ask due to position, is anyone NOT allowed to enter the contest (mods, admins, family members, people with no sense of humor etc.)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »

Is it the honour system only that should prevent people from using the internet to cheat for phase I (and II I suppose if you search quickly enough)?

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »

To answer the questions:
1) Anyone can enter (except me or my family).  Master Yreva has entered, but knows he cannot win a prize, as it might look bad if I was asking the questions and he won the contest.  Admins, mods, etc. can enter.

2) Honor system it is.  DO NOT use internet searches, or even look up answers in your books at home.  Answer what you know or guess otherwise.  Round 2 works fast enough that internet searches wouldn't work, but round 1 could be a problem if people decided to cheat, as they could look up any answer.  Please, don't!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:19:40 PM by brianakarobin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169072
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 62
Total: 67

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.