Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 06:22:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

61 Guests, 4 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scout Report - Concerns and New Ideas Discussion  (Read 2250 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Scout Report - Concerns and New Ideas Discussion
« on: February 17, 2006, 09:37:17 PM »

Hi gang, with any luck this topic will allow the discussion form the main thread to continue, without throwing the Scouts off their game.

The idea behind having the local forums separated from the  main forum body is to deter scalpers from accessing the info and using to horde the figures most of us are hoping to find.

Some suggestions have been made regarding not having a minimum post requirement to access the local forums, and that the fact the requirement exists is potentially alienating to new members.

Myself, I've felt that new members have been treated very well here - and that the membership, moderators and admin have been very up front about the fact that the requirement exists as well as the reason for it. I think it would be alienating if new people weren't being advised right off the bat, and were being kept in the dark until their requirement was up. That's not the case!

Of course, we'd love to hear ideas for how this site can be better enjoyed by the members, and are always willing to discuss these ideas with you, either via PM or through good old public forums such as this.

So have at it - what are the problems with the system in place, and more importantly - what can we do to solve it?

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Not just the president but also a client!
    • View Profile
Re: Scout Report - Concerns and New Ideas Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 10:21:05 PM »

I don't think there is much more you can do without compromising the overall accessibility(sp) of these forums.  If you really want to scr*w scalpers(who probably check the stores every day anyway), I suggest you keep a list of local Snowtroopers that you know personally/have dealt with and send them PMs if you find something new.  After a couple of days, post it in the provincial forums for everyone to have a crack(lurking scalpers included).  I've tried this before and a few troopers were able to get hooked up with items before they ran out. 
They're COLLECTIBLES.  They don't become TOYS until you take them out of the package.

NO exclusives please - we're Canadian!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 03:05:13 AM »

Good idea, Haggis, and there are a few users out in my neck of the woods that do just that or call the others on cell phones to advise them of the new finds.

powerpig

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 09:54:15 AM »

I've taken the past day to reconsider my concerns about access to the Scout Report. I got a little caught up in justifying what I was saying, which I think had the effect of exaggerating those concerns a bit. If that makes any sense. :)

So, a day later, here's an another look at things:

I initially commented about the Scout Report forum itself, since we were being told not to list the store/city where we had made the finds, but rather, to put that information in our provincial forum. Certainly not an unreasonable request, but I felt this really took away a lot of the usefullness of the Scout Report.

I used to enjoy reading about finds in Scout Report, especially in neighboring provinces, because that gave me some idea of when to expect stuff to show up here in northern New Brunswick. I can still go through other provincial forums to find this information, I suppose, but I liked the central nature of Scout Report.

I really had no idea that scalpers were using these forums as a resource. It's just not an issue here in this small town of mine; there are always plenty of figures to be had.

As a replacement of sorts for Scout Report, I think it would be cool to have regular news posts (or even better, a webpage dedicated to newly found items) listing what toys/waves are showing up in Canada and at which retailers they can be found at. Nothing terribly descriptive, though. Listings could be very simple:

FEB 12/2006: Star Wars Transformers now showing up at Zellers.
    JAN 31/2006: Saga Hoth Wave now showing up at Walmarts.

In a nutshell, generalized information that points collectors in the right direction.

Comments?

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:55:47 PM »

In my opinion, what you're describing is EXACTLY what should be showing up in the Scout Report Saga2 finds thread - and I'd also prefer to have distinct threads for regular retail (TRU, Zellers, Superstore, WM, London Drugs, etc) and for specialty shops/US finds. To me, a find at a comic store in Ottawa of US carded figures is nearly as useless as hearing someone managed to "Buy it Now" a set on ebay - I don't care, as I have no interest in getting my figures that way - but that's just me.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 05:18:31 PM »

In my opinion,  I'd also prefer. To me, I don't care, I have no interest -but that's just me.

This really is what the issue is - we all have a different view of what we want and would like to see.   I personally want to read " Saga figures for free at Walmart"  still waiting for this report!! You can't please everyone.   

If we really want to keep scalpers out we should allow the opportunity to read provincial form after 100 posts.  And after 100 posts - all members would vote after reviewing the potential candiates posts and only allow people with over a 50% score into our secret provincial society. 

Of course that would sort of suck for me. Because I would be the only guy with 1000 posts on still no access to provincial forms! :( :( :( :P :P :P

:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 05:56:39 PM »

CanadianJedi - don't you think a "popularity vote" like the one you're describing would be alienating to new members? That was one of the concerns of having a minimum post requirement anyhow... voting to keep someone  out of the Provincial forums would have them quitting 100% of the time. I for one don't want that.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 07:35:45 PM »

I guess I really was not thinking of a popularity vote - but more of a judgement call by membership whether the person was truly here for the love of Star Wars .  Not whether you like the person or what they post. 

The Jedi vote to make you a knight - so why not us? 

I personally don't mind the current system but maybe there is a different system that would be more interesting and fun - than post 10 - and you get access.  Something like the Snowtrooper Jedi Trials.  Nothing hard - and if you suck at it - we still let you in - but it would a venue for getting to know new members and for all of us to have fun in the process. 

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »

and for those of us (not me) that may have been traumatized by being picked last in the schoolyard "insert sport hear" on a consistant basis, having to be "voted" in to the provincial forums is a ridiculous idea!!! :mad0218:

power pig has pointed out the flaw in the scout report.  It should read,

Found SAGA 2, Wave 2 at Zellers in whatever province

Anything over and above that is pretty much useless chatter.  If you bought some and left some, post it in the provincial forums.  The fact that you left an R2 on the peg at a walmart somewhere in Saskatchewan does me no good in Ontario.

The comic book store reports probably should stay just in the provincial reports as they are not major chains across out great country.

If you start a thread for each of the major retailers however that would pretty much removet the need for a single scout report for the various series.   I think that the report threads should be for whatever series they pertain to ei. one for titanium, one for saga 2 etc.

As CJ said we all have different opinions on what we think we should see on the boards and it's up to the mods and admin to decide on how to present the boards to best get the information out to everyone.

:u:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 11:03:55 AM »

having to be "voted" in to the provincial forums is a ridiculous idea!!! :mad0218:

I am hurt.   :sad0064:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 02:25:55 PM »

Well, I don't know about ridiculous FF - we're trying to air things out here, and the only bad suggestions are those that people don't provide (in my humble opinion).

I've gone and merged a couple of threads in the Scout Report (ROTS finds and Saga2 finds, to be exact) and retitled the thread "Post Retail Finds of NEW PRODUCT Here". When that was done, I started a second thread entitled "Post Other Finds of NEW PRODUCT Here (Internet, US, Specialty Store)". With any luck, this merger and new thread will allow users to find the info they're looking for in as timely a fashion as possible.

I welcome your comments!

Darth Paul

• (A++ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 08:19:13 PM »

I like splitting up the "Just Found" into 2 sections :)`

powerpig

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 12:52:05 PM »

I think we're moving in the right direction!

I agree that posting "new finds" of imported figures at comic book stores is a bit useless to most of us. I guess there's clearly two ways to look at the posts in these forums; the first is a more or less a triumph statement (Yay, look what I found!) and the second is an information statement (Yay, these figures are showing up at these retailers, so go out and look for them in your neck of the woods.)

I think the split forums will address this well.

adafl_jowin

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Broken Frontier
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 07:04:01 PM »

Good call on splitting up regular retail from specialty  :)`
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169105
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 61
Total: 65

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 38 queries.