Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2018, 08:40:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

17 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Going On Around Here????  (Read 5360 times)

Darth Paul

• (A++ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
What's Going On Around Here????
« on: February 22, 2006, 12:22:16 AM »

So I ran into the interesting "Mulvey Market/Scalping" thread today in the Manitoba section.
Then the discussion moved into the Wampa's Cave in the "Guests" thread.
Now the Mulvey thread is locked and posts have been deleted from the "Guests" thread, which is locked as well.
This is not the Snowtroopers I'm used to.
I agree with Ian(Barada)'s now deleted post about both sides of this "fair market value/scalping/sponsor/non-sponsor" debate.
It seems that this Manitoba flea market guy was kinda playing loose with the site's rules, but he was strictly a local dude and the Manitoba people were happy with him.
Two sides to every story.
HOWEVER, I did not notice the changes to the Buy/Sell/Trades section until Ian pointed them out.  It seems that maybe the Mulvey guy wasn't breaking any rules after all.
It seems to me someone wants it both ways.  In my opinion, either scalping is allowed or it isn't.  Vague pronouncements about "extreme" scalping don't cut the mustard.  It's either scalping or it isn't.  It's either allowed or it isn't.
As Ian also pointed out in his now deleted post, he warned that there would be problems like this if the rules changed.  And it didn't take long.
AND I don't understand why debate on this topic, which you would think would matter to a lot of people at a toy collecting site, is being stifled.

Barada

Re: What's Going On Around Here????
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 12:32:37 AM »

This is going to get deleted Paul.  Lord Wader has stated that in the locked thread in Wampa's Cave.

To clear something up before it's locked up though, since I can't reply to the locked thread.

I did indeed state that the Mulvey thing was exempt from the rules because it was around before the initial rules were implemented.

Strictly speaking, during the old rules, what he was doing WAS in violation, but majority ruled amongst the staff, and it was allowed.

The new rules made any violation a moot point, as it accounted for situations like Darryl's.

Wader, it wasn't so much patting myself on the back as it was saying that the new rules were going to cause some problems.

So it happened to be in a situation that had been allowed for a long time.  It could easily have been anyone else too.  I still told ya all it was going to happen....

Wondering how many people will read this before the thread is deleted......

Ian

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Not just the president but also a client!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:34:27 AM »

Interesting.  I was wondering what was going on with all the locked threads.  Never a dull moment around here...
They're COLLECTIBLES.  They don't become TOYS until you take them out of the package.

NO exclusives please - we're Canadian!

Darth Paul

• (A++ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 12:50:15 AM »

Since this is the Suggestions section, I will make my suggestion:

I liked the old rules.  Zero-tolerance for scalping of recent or still-available at retail merchandise.

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Not just the president but also a client!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:01:24 AM »

I have to agree.  I'm all for change and improvements but the introduction of 'grey areas' in the rules tends to make for...grey areas.
They're COLLECTIBLES.  They don't become TOYS until you take them out of the package.

NO exclusives please - we're Canadian!

Barada

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 01:03:45 AM »

Old argument guys.  We won't win it.

It's their right to make the rules as they see fit, and bringing up old ways are going to lead to more hard feelings.

I can't say any more, because the censorship birds are flying around tonight... ;)

Ian

Gnosis

• (A++ Trader) - Bird King of La Mancha
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Birdman Of Steel
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 01:05:21 AM »

Since this is the Suggestions section, I will make my suggestion:

I liked the old rules.  Zero-tolerance for scalping of recent or still-available at retail merchandise.

Totally argee there
Snowtroopers.ca: Gnosis
Rebelscum feedback: Gnosis

Barada

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 01:29:17 AM »

Well, a situation in a certain locked thread in one of the provincial sections will show why, more than anything else, this is a dead issue.  The old rules contradict a long-going situation concerning someone selling (one that violated old rules but was allowed to continue due to majority vote amongst staff).

Here's a lovely quote from Lord Wader in that thread.

Being able to articulate and play with logic does not give people the right to try and rake people threw the coals.

This is totally different from discussing and debating and if no one agrees tough...that's my decision.

If anyone has any thing to say pm me. If I don't repined right away, I too have a real job.

No one was raking anyone over the coals.  It was purely a situation where people still thought the old rules applied, and the question was raised as to why those rules did not apply.  Questioning what some people believed to be against the rules is far different than 'raking someone over the coals'.

Playing with logic and being able to articulate?  What's being played here?  This makes no sense.  Someone is coming up with a legitimate question, and for that they are censored?  WTF?

'Tough...that's my decision.'  Quote of the year.  I respect the fact that the admins have final say, but Wader, honestly, whether intended or not, this sounds Nazi-ish.  Last time I checked, there were three admins remaining after I stepped down, but you're speaking as if you're the sole Grand Poobah.  You have simply got to change the tone of that - it reflects very poorly on you.

So the only way any of this can be discussed is via PM? Why?  It's a legitimate concern, so PMing you to have you tell people to mind their own business is stifling.  You're going to have to repeat yourself alot this way.  Better to have people state their opinions or concerns, and have the answer posted directly so everyone can see.

I know Wader is going to be very pissed at reading this, and it has no chance of going undeleted, but censoring every single post is pissing a few people off, including me, and if I'm one of the few to not be afraid to speak the truth then go ahead and suspend me.  Criticism goes with the position - I sure had enough when I was an admin too. ;)  It is pure bullshiite that after trying to help clarify the rules as they now stand, I get my posts deleted.  I was trying to help, despite one little comment that I predicted trouble with the rule changes that has indeed proven to be the case.  It was just coincidence that the situation arose with someone who had been doing this for a long time.

Ian
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 01:38:02 AM by Ian_C »

g3po

• (A+++ Trader) Graphic Snowtrooper Commander
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Do or do not, there is no try!"
    • View Profile
    • RA Design, Vancouver graphic designer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 02:18:59 AM »

to much drama for me, seriously

I just want toys :artoo:
"Star Wars" TRADE/FOR SALE List  --- Constantly updated!!

"Non Star Wars" TRADE/FOR SALE List  --- Constantly updated!!

Sifo-Dyas

• (A+ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Still Needs More Cowbell!
    • View Profile
    • VIEW MY HAVES/WANTS LIST...
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 02:29:45 AM »

AND I don't understand why debate on this topic, which you would think would matter to a lot of people at a toy collecting site, is being stifled.

Thank you. There was no coal raking. I'm absolutely befuddled by it all.  :confused0024:
View My HAVES/WANTS LIST[/color]           View FEEDBACK

"If We Can't Laugh At The Dead, We Have No Business Killing People. "

Radiation74

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 02:38:12 AM »

I wish there was just one thread "dedicated" to this subject.

This is a Star Wars site, not unlike other places, the management try to keep everyone happy. Not always an easy job. IMO, something has been made out of nothing.

Kevobi

• Snowtroopers.ca Web
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • TK8423
    • View Profile
    • www.KevinFawley.com
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 03:04:07 AM »

I agree Rad.

seems like certain folks are getting upset about the status quo, why get upset now?

Status quo is a Latin term meaning the present, current, existing state of affairs. To maintain the status quo is to keep things the way they presently are. Compare it with status quo ante, meaning "the state of things as it was before." - Wikipedia.org

'Tough...that's my decision.'  Quote of the year.  I respect the fact that the admins have final say, but Wader, honestly, whether intended or not, this sounds Nazi-ish.  Last time I checked, there were three admins remaining after I stepped down, but you're speaking as if you're the sole Grand Poobah.  You have simply got to change the tone of that - it reflects very poorly on you.
- Ian

Regarding the Admin's position on Darryl, we 3 admins have no problem with how he's been operating in the MB forum.  So on this recently touchy subject Wader IS speaking as a "Grand Poobah", as administration has shared view on this subject.

sheesh, just leave the guy alone to sell his toys, and let me have the time to play with mine.
kevin @ snowtroopers.ca
Winnipeg, MB

Darth Paul

• (A++ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 08:22:44 AM »

While the Manitoba issue doesn't personally concern me here in Ontario, and the thread-locking/post-deleting frenzy seems a little over-the-top, there was another reason for me starting this thread.
Scalping.
I don't like it here.  I can get plenty of access to scalpers on ebay or other SW toy sites.
One of Snowtroopers' best assets has always been its friendly atmosphere of collectors who genuinely like to help each other out.   In the Trading Section, the strict enforcement of an anti-scalping policy by the former Barada contributed greatly to this atmosphere.
I think changing the anti-scalping policy is a mistake.   Zero-tolerance is the way to go.  As I stated earlier, there are plenty of other outlets on the Internet for scalpers to utilize to get to their customers.  The people who choose to deal with them can find them elsewhere.  I just don't want to see them here.
Other sites, pm's, email.  Scalpers have many choices in this day and age to spread their gospel.
DISCLAIMER:   I do not know Ian and I am not a friend of his (not that that would be a bad thing :P).  I am just a Snowtrooper who doesn't like scalping or the repression of opinions different than yours.

Radiation74

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 08:31:54 AM »

Noone likes scalping, but it is a reality that alot of SW figures are hard to find. If you want to pay retail only prices, you will prob have a pretty big gap in your collection. Paying above retail is a personal choice. I have paid 250-300 dollars for Mcfarlane figures that cost 15 bucks. Am I upset over this? No. If I wanted these particular figures, a premium had to be paid. It's simple. Did I consider the seller a scalper? NO.

Gnosis

• (A++ Trader) - Bird King of La Mancha
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Birdman Of Steel
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 08:42:43 AM »

Has it been considered to put this issue to a vote?
Just curious

Snowtroopers.ca: Gnosis
Rebelscum feedback: Gnosis
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170174
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 86
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 38 queries.