Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2018, 01:47:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

25 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Going On Around Here????  (Read 5364 times)

Radiation74

Re: What's Going On Around Here????
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 08:50:34 AM »

There are 3 administrators, they have already "voted" on this. The thing is the "fleamarket" thread has been here since I can remember. All of a sudden it's like " THIS IS TERRIBLE". Again, if you don't like it, don't buy. Comes down to personal choice. If the fact that a dealer is helping collector's out ( he has even delivered figures personally to people ) bothers you, I don't see that as a problem with the site itself.  If the prices are so extreme, why do people still buy from him? Why not go to ebay? Because his prices are cheaper.

Barada

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 09:49:11 AM »

Noone likes scalping, but it is a reality that alot of SW figures are hard to find. If you want to pay retail only prices, you will prob have a pretty big gap in your collection.

Rad, you completely missed the point of the old rule.

The whole idea is that people were going to retail stores and buying all the rare figures, and selling them here (among other places) for inflated prices.  Those are figures that people may have been able to find for retail themselves, and not have to pay the scalper prices, if the scalpers had left them alone in the first place.

I'm not stupid.  It's not going to stop the scalping issue altogether - ebay is just one example of a site we can't control scalping in.  However, that doesn't mean we couldn't do our part.

If snowtroopers.ca were to completely disallow the practice of people selling retail items for above retail prices, then it would help to make scalpers think twice about buying extra rare stuff to resell.  Close off one avenue of scalping, and make it harder for them to make a profit at our expense.

If it helped only one snowtrooper find a rare figure at retail, then the whole plan would be a success.

The people that run a collecting site have a responsibility to make sure it takes every measure to help make collecting easier for its members, and not condone scalping.  To allow scalping in a forum's selling section is the same damn thing as condoning the practice.

Now, before some higher-ups get their panties in a twist, I'm not trying to change the rule.  It's not mine to change anymore.  I'm just explaining the reasoning behind what used to be, because it's obvious it went way over some people's heads.

Ian

Radiation74

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 09:53:11 AM »

I see your point. Have you ever paid more than retail for a SW item? If so what was it and how much? Did you buy that piece in Manitoba?

Barada

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 09:58:27 AM »

Yup, of course I've paid more than retail for several items.  It's unavoidable if you want to be a completist, especially in Canada.  And none were bought in Manitoba that I can recall.

That's why it's even more important to try our best to stop the practice in the environments that we can control - to minimize the number of people that have to resort to being scalped.

Ian

Radiation74

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 10:09:36 AM »

Yup, of course I've paid more than retail for several items.  It's unavoidable if you want to be a completist, especially in Canada.  And none were bought in Manitoba that I can recall.

Is that the same as condoning scalping?

Kit Fisto

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 10:14:39 AM »

hi guys , iv paid more then retail a few times ,mostly for vintage stuff ,like my vintage Darth Vader mint but open package i paid 25 $5 yrs ago i think i paid tax on it too

Barada

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 10:21:45 AM »

Is that the same as condoning scalping?

Nice try.

Yes, in a way it did.

Does that mean it's okay to condone it as far as other people go?  I did because there was no other outlet to complete my collection with the pieces in question.

Now, if every site - and ebay - were to be strict about this, then it could be squeezed out.

One small step at a time.  It is a defeatist and chickenshiite way to say, oh well, you can't beat it, so we'll just ignore it and let it happen.

Take a damned stand against the practice, and maybe fewer people won't need to pay too much for their stuff.

Ian

Radiation74

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 10:31:32 AM »

I don't condone scalping, but at the same time I have sold figures for more than I have paid. I have sold 15 $ figures for 100+, I have paid 100+ for figures that retail at 15 bucks. I have sold Dagobah Vader Secret Luke for cost. I don't condone it, but I contribute to it. Anyone who has EVER paid over retail has.

I have never been to the "fleamarket" in question, however I did have someone buy me a Marmit Fett from there. 100 bucks. I am assuming he has other harder to get figures there as well, however I can't speculate because I have never been there and don't know the seller personally.

There are two groups of people that can thwart scalpers: the collector and the retailer, the collector will continue to clamour for the newest hottest release and the retailer will continue to be glad they just unloaded 20 SW figures. This site can't stop either of these things.

"Take a damned stand against the practice, and maybe fewer people won't need to pay too much for their stuff."

This attitude will lead to one of two things : 1) no more sponsors or selling/trading of any type on the site   and/or 2) the site shutting down.

Is it worth it?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:34:29 AM by Radiation74 »

Kit Fisto

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 10:40:52 AM »

hay Darth Paul u have got my attention about over paying for SW stuff ! I'm wondering what the most u  have paid for a loose Vintage Storm Trooper? with gun. iv paid a ridiculous 30$ 5 yrs ago about the time i got my Vader ,i have a thing about collecting army's of troops. How much have u paid Darth Paul? if not a trooper which one ?

Kit Fisto

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »

i see now Darth Paul is offline but anyone can answer my last post

Radiation74

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 10:47:05 AM »

i paid ridiculous for a loose vintage Fett and a carded swimming Jar Jar.

Kit Fisto

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 11:04:52 AM »

its that hi that u didn't state a price? lol i don't feel so bad now but fett is a honkin rare fig

Radiation74

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »

its that hi that u didn't state a price? lol i don't feel so bad now but fett is a honkin rare fig

It was a while ago. I paid around 70 CDN for each figure. :speechless-smiley-004:

Lord Wader

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 11:13:55 AM »

Ian...Ian....Ian :shakehead:

Well played on making things worse with the big boy talk. Still have sour grapes I see.

To answer Darth Paul's question...posts were deleted because that issue was escalated to a point where it should not have been.

Someone had a concern and it should have been dealt with at the staff member level. That's where it was brought up to begin with.

Instead fire were started in public view for everyone to give an opinion about something they don't know anything about.

Now we have good old Ian stirring the pot because he always knows better.

Ian will be suspended for his remarks because thats how he used to deal with these issues.

Every issue does not have to be aired because the members come here for better reasons. Thats why we have mods/admins. There is thing called discretion and preconceived notions. Some people are only concerned with speaking what ever they want without any repercussions.
Sorry it doesn't work that way. Not everyone wants to see dirty laundry.

There is nothing to hide and no conspiracies. Sorry to disappoint those who think so.

I do not stand alone in decision making and I do discuss things with Koda and Kevobi. I get the flak because I'm the visable one.

If there are those that want to paint me as a bad guy that's fine. I'm a big boy.

Discussing  everything openly is not always a good idea sorry for those who think different.

Again, instead of Ian contacting myself to discuss disagreements or issues he would rather inflict wounds publically.
Does anyone really want to see Ian and myself bicker. I don't think so other than for some entertainment.

I makes us both look bad.

I suggest that people enjoy the site for what it was intended for and let the staff members look after the garbage.

That what we don't get paid to do.

Wader

Darth Paul

• (A++ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 02:19:21 PM »

I don't understand the questions about vintage Stormies and Swimming Jar Jars.   You can't scalp something that is no longer available at retail.  Once something is gone from the shelves, the market sets the price.   I don't think anyone has a problem with that.
However, if you post a trade thread NOW with the current Hoth wave priced at $15 a fig, you are a scalper,  plain and simple.
This rules obviously does not apply to sponsors and their stores, who are businesses who have paid a premium to advertise here and support the site and can charge whatever they want to turn a profit.
I am merely concerned about Joe Blow posts in the Trading forum.  I think the Trading forum should be scalper-free.  If you can't find what you want there, then by all means go to one of our fine sponsors or ebay.
Among collectors, I think the spirit of fair play should rule in the Trading forum, and that spirit should be enforced when it is ignored.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170177
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 37 queries.