Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 06:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

59 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Four-Letter Word or Two About Swearing - PLEASE READ (AGAIN)  (Read 8754 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile

Hi gang. We've been getting a disproportionately large number of complaints about swearing in posts lately. When you joined, the first paragraph of the user agreement (which most of us skipped over, I realize) notified you that cursing (amidst other things) would not be tolerated.

There is an auto-censor in place that looks after certain words, most of you know that. It's easy to figure out that at a few well placed "!" or "+" s can make a fairly good on-screen representation of the epiphet you're trying to use.

PLEASE have some courtesy for our younger viewers, and for those that are more sensitive to such speak. A simple "******"ing out of the entire word you're wanting to use - as you'd see if the auto-censor picked it up - would be appreciated, and much more polite. 99% of the time, it's easy to figure out which curse you had planned anyhow, based on the context.

And in case anyone's not sure of which words are acceptable - think of an episode of the Simpsons. The three-letter word for bum that ends in 2 "s's" is getting pretty close, and the for letter word for urine that ends the same way is over the line.

Thanks, it'll make things easier for all of us, and might make the place a little more friendly at the same time.  :character0005:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:06:48 PM by jjreason »

Radiation74

Re: A Four-Letter Word or Two About Swearing - PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:14:38 PM »

Well said.

stormtripper

• <A+++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 11:11:11 PM »

;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:16:23 PM by stormtripper »
Forum Feedback Link

North Vancouver, Hollywood North....
MTMFnFBWY

Grand_Moff_Rob

• (A+ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Rockin' 'da 'Wars' since '77......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 11:05:34 AM »

Yeah, it's good to keep things in a 'civilized age'....
I thought it [Star Wars] was too wacky for the general public.

- George Lucas quote...

Richard The Bloody

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I find your lack of pants...Disturbing
    • View Profile
    • My Photobucket page:
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 09:37:53 PM »

Like that one spammer about a week ago..."So uncivilized..." :shakehead:
12 inch Master of Puppets

Darth Paul

• (A++ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 07:07:30 PM »

I don't know, I kind of like the option at jedidefender that you can choose to disable the censor-bot.  It's not that I talk like an episode of Trailer Park Boys or anything, but I enjoy language in all its many facets.
I could be wrong but I would have to think that the vast majority of people on this board are adults, and could make the choice for themselves whether or not to curse, and whether or not they want others' profanities bleeped out or not.
Just my thoughts.
And to keep this SW-related, as this is the Wampa's Cave board, I think SW is pretty neat-o keen!

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 08:32:28 PM »

I could be wrong but I would have to think that the vast majority of people on this board are adults, and could make the choice for themselves whether or not to curse, and whether or not they want others' profanities bleeped out or not. Just my thoughts.

Good point, but its not us, its the site. As what JJReason said..

When you joined, the first paragraph of the user agreement (which most of us skipped over, I realize) notified you that cursing (amidst other things) would not be tolerated.

We dont want to get shut done, cause people are swearing too much.

niubniub

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »

My view of the site just gets better and BETTER!!!

CHEWEN

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Searching for Star Wars toys for decades.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 07:26:03 PM »

I automatically censor myself when I am typing. I mean I might swear in real life when I stub my toe or if I'm driving on the highway and get cut off. But why would we need to interject the F word every second word for empasis?
I know some can't help it in speech but why in writing etc?

Good call on making  a point of letting others know what's acceptable though.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 07:32:25 PM by CHEWEN »
Would love to buy your random build a droids and parts.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: A Four-Letter Word or Two About Swearing - PLEASE READ (AGAIN)
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 10:19:06 PM »

So we're back to this lovely topic, after a busy (and somewhat tumultuous) day in the Wampa Cave.

Peconi's thread was pulled by myself NOT because of his comments, but because of the backlash to his message. I think everyone got the points that were made. I removed the separate thread because it felt to me almost like a personal attack was being mounted on one of the members here AND because I couldn't see the benefit of having the thread continue on in that vein.

All that being said, PLEASE do consider the fact that some users (including myself) have their kids around when they're using the site. If you stop to think about that when you're choosing what to display (with respect to avatars and signature pictures), promote (with respect to attitudes about sex, drug and/or alcohol use or any other "potentially volatile" situation for parents) and type (with respect to the appropriate or inappropriate use of curse words or their "******" substitutes), everything will go smoothly.

Do we expect this place to be "G" rated at all times? No. I'd suggest the average age of users is somewhere in the early 20's. All we're asking is that you consider the fact that an 8 year old could see everything you put up on a daily basis... and ask yourself "Is this really suitable?" when you decide to push the envelope.

Please let me finish by saying this: I know I'm not perfect. In fact I know I've used a few mild curses over the past week, as have a few others in the Hasbro feedback thread. For whatever reason, people get emotional about their hobbies, and things are going to boil over from time to time. We all have flaws and we all make mistakes..... but let's all try to do our best to keep things civil.

jedi_master_sal

• Empire
  • Recruit
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 12:51:54 PM »

Red Wings Suck ****** *****

Is that okay??? heh heh J/K of course.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 10:43:20 PM »

That's actually a very nice example of how I'd like things to work, Sal. Thanks for that.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 12:46:09 PM »

I would just like to say thank you to everyone who blanks out words (+++#%#$^#&#$)
My son is 5 and loves SW and he loves sitting with me when I am on the Snowtroopers.ca boards and reading the reviews and comments, He likes to look at the pictures, but he is at that age where he is learning to read, and can read simple words, and unfortunately some of the most simple words to read are some of the worst words to learn.
So again THANK YOU! to all those that for whatever reason, should it be because they just don't like to use bad words, or maybe they do but they understand some people don't like reading them, or some people have young children learning to read, THANK YOU for blocking out or thinking of better ways to say what you need/want to say!..
This Father of 3 (soon to be 4) really appreciates it!..
 :)`
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

Good reminder! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169102
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 59
Total: 60

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 38 queries.