Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 12:25:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

82 Guests, 1 User

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 73   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Found: Other (Specialty Shops, Cross-Border Shopping, Online, ETC)  (Read 187720 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Just Found: Other (Specialty Shops, Cross-Border Shopping, Online, ETC)
« Reply #720 on: April 15, 2016, 11:30:54 PM »

i wish i had kept one of those christmas wishbooks from the earlier part of the 80s. just to see those photos again! :)

Solved.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 16, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »

i wish i had kept one of those christmas wishbooks from the earlier part of the 80s. just to see those photos again! :)

Solved.

That is a whole lot of awesomeness...

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 16, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »

Solved.

Easily the best waste of 2 hours. I love the 1985 catalogue with the Star Wars Toys on sale. "ya sure I'll take the dungeon for 7.99" wishes everyone. Or the shuttle for 30. My other favorite was 1983 and the USS Flagg. Such great memories.

That is a whole lot of awesomeness...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 16, 2016, 12:29:12 PM »

That website looks to be nearly as old as I am - too bad they didn't have access to the Consumers Distributing ones as well.  :(

EDITED: Oh my.....

http://www.cdarchive.ca/

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 16, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »

Certainly makes you want to get in a time machine and go back to those days.   Just to be able to walk into a Consumer Distributing pick up the order sheet and flip through the catalogue and order from it.   I can still remember the store back in Hamilton up on Upper James.   I think that is how I got my 10 speed bike. 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 16, 2016, 06:48:22 PM »

My brother and I sometimes got to stop at CD on the way home from our weekly torture sessions piano lessons & would wait with baited breath while the worker went to see if they had the latest GI Joe figures in stock. Until TRU showed up with it's absurd walls full of figures, Consumers was what we considered to be the "place most likely" to have the awesome figures first. I distinctly remember us getting Firefly & Stormshadow VERY early from that place & we were the envy of our friends for some time. Talk about awesome figures....

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 16, 2016, 09:01:45 PM »

My brother and I sometimes got to stop at CD on the way home from our weekly torture sessions piano lessons & would wait with baited breath while the worker went to see if they had the latest GI Joe figures in stock. Until TRU showed up with it's absurd walls full of figures, Consumers was what we considered to be the "place most likely" to have the awesome figures first. I distinctly remember us getting Firefly & Stormshadow VERY early from that place & we were the envy of our friends for some time. Talk about awesome figures....
Yes consumers was absolutely THE place to get the Joe figures right when they were coming out. I used to anticipate that catalog and was allowed to pick a few to get right when the catalog came out. That place was like magic for me. They nearly always had all the "hard to find" Joes when I went there.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 16, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »

Memories are flooding back. My brother & I got birthday money & took a trip to Eatons in downtown London - for whatever reason it was right at the time the second wave of Joes were hitting - TV ads were going bananas and we could not wait to find some new Joes. The pegs were LOADED with all the new figures. We got about 12 figures between us & the euphoria was absolutely off the charts. No wonder I'm still hooked on action figures 30 something years later.  :speechless-smiley-004:

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 16, 2016, 11:05:06 PM »

I remember we were going up to Waskesiu and had stopped at Prince Albert to have lunch at McD's. The Consumer Distributing was in the parking lot and we went over to look for something. While we were there, there was a package on the wall of a returned GI Joe. After much pleading I was allowed to get it (it was on sale, c'mon mom and dad) I got Mutt and Junkyard.

I was so excited because it was the first dog in the Joe universe. On the way back we stopped in again (10 days later) and they had 3 more figures. I got to pick on for my allowance (since I never bought a thing at Waskesiu) and I was able to snag Shipwreck.

I loved that they had some of the toys that you rarely ever saw, like the Star Trek weapons. I got my Bajoran Phaser from there, never seeing it at any other store.

I was discussing with a friend of mine how we are so screwed as compared with how we could get toys back in the 80's and 90's. I remember one trip with my grandma: Army & Navy, Kresge, Sears, Eatons, the Bay, 2 Wool-co, Woolworths, 3 Zellers, K-mart, CD, Robinsons, Macleods and Toys & Wheels. That was just in Regina alone. I had saved my birthday and Christmas money plus my paper route money. I wanted one of those programmable Tomy Robots but they didn't have them anywhere. I did, however, get a crap load of toys by hitting a bunch of sales.

An now: Walmart, Superstore, Giant Tiger and Toys R Us.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:08:54 PM by KaleDayspring »

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 17, 2016, 12:19:07 AM »

Memories are flooding back. My brother & I got birthday money & took a trip to Eatons in downtown London - for whatever reason it was right at the time the second wave of Joes were hitting - TV ads were going bananas and we could not wait to find some new Joes. The pegs were LOADED with all the new figures. We got about 12 figures between us & the euphoria was absolutely off the charts. No wonder I'm still hooked on action figures 30 something years later.  :speechless-smiley-004:
I remember that basement.  Dimly lit it was cool!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 17, 2016, 10:19:15 AM »

I think it was pre-Galleria - on that same corner where the substantive part of the new mall/movie theatre was built. The toys were downstairs in Eatons, that's right.

Simpson on Dundas - they were upstairs. That place was pretty good from time to time too, all done up for Christmas I remember & they might have even had a guy in a Darth Vader costume there at one point. Memory hazy.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 17, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »

Solved.

damn! thanks for posting this! i cant wait to check it out! i saw you mention Consumer Distributing as well! their was one of those really close to were i lived growing up. one of my first memories of ordering something myself from their was Gobots :) that was cool! at one point we started throwing rocks into the sign that was on the back part of the mall it was in. ooopsy.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 17, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »

you said it man! back in the day there was stuff everywhere it seemed. there is also Winners i search but its pretty much a waste of time 90 something percent of the time. GT sucks too but sometimes they get stuff. oh, and Dollarma gets SW maybe once or twice a year. its not easy!

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 17, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »

I think it was pre-Galleria - on that same corner where the substantive part of the new mall/movie theatre was built. The toys were downstairs in Eatons, that's right.

Simpson on Dundas - they were upstairs. That place was pretty good from time to time too, all done up for Christmas I remember & they might have even had a guy in a Darth Vader costume there at one point. Memory hazy.
That's it alright!!

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 17, 2016, 09:04:10 PM »

you said it man! back in the day there was stuff everywhere it seemed. there is also Winners i search but its pretty much a waste of time 90 something percent of the time. GT sucks too but sometimes they get stuff. oh, and Dollarma gets SW maybe once or twice a year. its not easy!

Sorry I forgot those and London Drugs. Not the same as it was back in the day. I must add Canadian Tire. This Christmas they had the Hot Wheels ships, the Lego and the 12 inch figures. I was quite surprised. It's not like in the 80s and 90s when their toy sections would rival Woolco (Remembering the year our CT moved and they brought out a box full of Super Powers, the last ones. Getting Cyborg, Orion and Samurai for $1 each still gives me smiles),

Also....I really miss Zellers. Do you remember finding the stash of marked down stuff and there would be something like a figure or ship in the piles that was insanely cheap. I still get chills thinking about finding the Large Wing Legacy Tie for $30.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 73   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169433
  • Total Topics: 14376
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 82
Total: 83

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.