Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2018, 01:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 73   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Found: Other (Specialty Shops, Cross-Border Shopping, Online, ETC)  (Read 187317 times)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Just Found: Other (Specialty Shops, Cross-Border Shopping, Online, ETC)
« Reply #795 on: July 21, 2016, 01:39:12 AM »

It's not the worst set ever. But definitely not what had been hyped up (although I think a lot of people read too many other things into it - my initial gut feeling was all astromechs).

The biggest problem with this set is the PRICE. $80 US is way more than what 6 repaints of the same small figure should be. Maybe if it was listed at $60 US it'd be a little more attractive, at least to people like me who are now turned off by it.

Most likely now I will wait for it to inevitably go on clearance. There are zero must-have figures for me in this set. I love droids but not at that price. I'd rather spend it on something else.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 21, 2016, 01:56:52 AM »

Also, on a somewhat related note - I think I'm done with JTA.
Time to find a new SW figure collecting site to check in on for all the non-existent toy news. Preferably one where the main writer doesn't insult my intelligence. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 21, 2016, 07:50:07 AM »

Time to find a new SW figure collecting site to check in on for all the non-existent toy news. Preferably one where the main writer doesn't insult my intelligence. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've started to trend towards Jedibusiness.com as my main (other than snowtroopers) Star Wars site. 

They don't have an active discussion like JTA, but they do news updates if something important happens (like the EE astromechs). 

Their photo archive is also quite impressive and on par with sites like JTA and rebelscum (for 6" and 3.75"). 

They have a weekly podcast.  I haven't checked it out for a few weeks, but the guys who do it seem like nice guys. 

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:58:51 AM by Bespin-81 »

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 21, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »

I'm with you on that. I'm sorry to say this, and I really have nothing personal against Paul Harrison, but sometimes his reactions are completely disconnected from the SW collectors base. Talking about astromech droids as SA figures really is insulting my intellect. Counting rotating wheels on these figures to add more POA? Common. This is plainly ridiculous.

I also hate the fact that this guy seems to be licking Hasbro's feet. He seems to have no strength and stamina to even seem offended by the lack of response from Hasbro during Q&A. And he's not the only one to be frank: most SW websites owners and down on their knees trying not to displease Hasbro for the past few years (and I'm sure it has a lot to do with the freebies they're getting all year long, as well as invites to the SDCC, Toy Fair and other Cons).

I mean, if I owed such a SW website with a large fan base, I would definitely feel empowered enough to start bugging Hasbro with repeating questions that have been raised by the fans over the last few years. The lack of SA figures, and the collectors demand for these, would justify repeating the question over and over until Hasbro finally tells us their true intention on this line: do they want to kill it or not. It's not by telling them they did AWESOME work on the poor quality 6 inches line that we're gonna see the return of the TVC line. Honestly, someone claiming that the 6 inches line is a vast improvement on the quality and articulation of the SW figures, whereas we had marvelous offers in the past 10 years with the TVC line and the lines that preceded this, is simply not using the power given in his hands by the fans to be the voice of the SW collector community. Telling Hasbro that the 6 inches Han Solo Hoth and Tauntaun figures were the best ones produced by Hasbro is really an insult to my intelligence...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 21, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »

Unfortunately if you want access to Hasbro's ears nowadays I think these site owners have no choice but to tow the company line. I don't think it's just about getting freebies, the big corp probably isn't going to give access to fan sites that only complain about their new direction - they want to hear that they're doing the right thing (regardless of whether that's true or not) and are tuning out the old 3.75" collectors.

We're a small site and don't really have to worry about Hasbro access e.g. to get early promotional photos or SDCC access to their preview panels or preview nights, so we can freely bitch and moan lol.  But I do understand that if you're JTA, and you're competing with Yakface and Rebelscum, then it's a big disadvantage to your fansite if you lose access to Hasbro and HunterPR.  All the traffic then goes to your competitors who are willing to suck it up and tell Hasbro what they want to hear...

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 21, 2016, 03:53:32 PM »

I've been on the verge of no longer visiting their site for months now. The only reason I've continued to visit is because they are very on top of breaking news. As they constantly remind you! It's like the kid in school who is constantly telling you how cool he is... um yeah.

As for them kissing Hasbro's butt. I don't think thats entirely accurate. He complains about their lack of support for the SA 3.75 line regularly. And complains about their inability to listen to the fans. So they seem to support Hasbro on some things while calling them out on others which is fine.

My problem is their constant hyperbole. And then their complaining about anyone who disagrees by calling them a "contrarian". They tend to paint everyone that disagrees with one brush.

They seem to be polarizing and it seems to be a strategy to get more clicks. Many of their headlines blow things way out of proportion. A while back one of the rebelscum guys called them on it but then later apologized.  Frankly, I don't think he had anything to apologize for. He perhaps lacked a bit of tact but was bang on in his assessment.

As for other sites I still check rebelscum regularly though they seem to update a little less frequently than they used to. I also hit yak face from time to time. I'll have to check out the jedibusiness site.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 22, 2016, 05:21:19 AM »

JTA isnt always too kiss assy. sometimes reviews are a bit over the top so i hear ya on that! i just read about the SUPER ARTICULATED astromechs as well, but i took that comment as more tongue in cheek considering the current state of 5 POA and all that.

Jedibusiness has a neat vibe. it was the first site i found to look at a Luke i was interested in back in 2012. i also like the lay out of the site to find figures. its not perfect but its easy to use. JTA is kinda a mess that way i find. u click this and that, then u gotta scroll thru a list to find the fig u want to look at,they do have everything though, so thats a plus. ive looked at Jedibusiness the most for fig reviews though,and the ToyRun podcast they are doing is good. give it a chance if you havent. Cris usually responds on FB too if u say anything. so thats cool too. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:16:01 AM by bob »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 22, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions of Jedibusiness guys! I've already replaced JTA in my bookmark toolbar.

I don't have a problem with sites taking freebies from Hasbro and pumping them up a bit. And as noted, JTA does do a fairly decent job of giving Hasbro credit where due, while taking them to task when they drop the ball. And I understand it must be getting harder to do this in recent years, as there's not much to give them credit for, but a lot to criticise.

Like others have said, to me it's the way "JTA" seems to treat collectors who disagree with "their" slant on things. Also, the way they hype up things and then put down people who don't buy in to the hype. I don't agree with Paul's opinion that we NEED to buy every new SA offering Hasbro gives us at full price - regardless of quality, desirability, or whether it's even something anyone has even been asking for - otherwise Hasbro will stop producing them for us. I don't know about you guys, but I bought two of every TVC figure released, in non-sale-priced full cases, when I used to buy just one of everything, on sale at retail. And how did that work out for us, hmm? The demise of the 3.75" SA line. The only thing that buying these things proves to Hasbro is that we are happy to pay over-the-top prices for a bunch of repaints that no one has been asking for (the Jabba Rancor Pit set comes to mind here too). Meanwhile they refuse to give us straight repacks that EVERYONE has been asking for (Gammo, ERG, etc, etc).

As for the astromech set itself, as I said, I don't hate it. I love droids. But I don't NEED more, at least not at that price. I would not be surprised if EE tries to save face and does a special limited-time pre-order discount for the set. They did something like that for their Marvel Legends 6" Guardians of the Galaxy boxset from last year if I remember correctly.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 25, 2016, 01:50:05 AM »

ya, when they are paying too much lip service to BUY HASBRO PRODUCTS i get a bit annoyed. the yakface guy didnt like what i said to him the other day about ''did they pay you to say that?"'when he praised how the leia 6 inch repaint job was looking good. ya right. whatever though, i dont care. some of these guys get a bit much sometimes but whatever. they do bring news and have done youtube stuff i watch so i appreciate that. just not the ass kissing. :) haha

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 17, 2016, 01:59:42 PM »

Well, if the items on sale at Entertainment Earth right now are any indication, maybe that new astromech pack will hang around long enough to get clearanced out too:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/hitlist.asp?spotlight=5304&filter=0&eeshop=346&justone=0&SearchOrder=thmcom&sort=0&collect=&nm=0&searchfield=&orsearch=0&theme=STAR%20WARS&rpp=60&company=HASBRO&filterdup=0&coming=&pref=0&wrid=0&tree=0&rppdup=60&premium=0&new=0&clearance=0&pg=0

Some good deals for anyone still needing them.

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:03:57 PM by General Brashin »
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 24, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »

Just in case anyone's interested, Ello Atsy (listed as STAR WARS Black Series Hero Pilot 1 Action Figure) is at Amazon.ca right now for $24.99.  (4 left.)

https://www.amazon.ca/STAR-Black-Pilot-Action-Figure/dp/B00WO0A16M/ref=sr_1_188?m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1474763956&sr=1-188)

Edit: Just clicked the link myself and saw it's down to two.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 25, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »

Just in case anyone's interested, Ello Atsy (listed as STAR WARS Black Series Hero Pilot 1 Action Figure) is at Amazon.ca right now for $24.99.  (4 left.)

https://www.amazon.ca/STAR-Black-Pilot-Action-Figure/dp/B00WO0A16M/ref=sr_1_188?m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1474763956&sr=1-188)

Edit: Just clicked the link myself and saw it's down to two.

Is this guy hard to get?  I saw one yesterday at a local Walmart.

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 27, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »

I don't follow the TFA 6" BS too intently so take what I write with a grain of salt.  (Anyone with better info is welcome to help out.)

Atsy doesn't seem too tough to find in the States.  (He's currently available at normal retail at Entertainment Earth.)

In Canada, however, the initial release of Atsy and Hux was skipped over and a Canadian release seemed uncertain. This lead to some collectors buying from sources outside of Canada.

Hux and Atsy did eventually see release in Canada this past summer, mostly reported (I think) at Wal-Mart.  (I never actually looked for any in store, but don't recall stock ever sticking around long at Walmart.ca)

I know when I saw Atsy in stock at Amazon.ca, I posted then checked the link and within a few minutes of seeing 4 in stock, it had gone down to 2.  In the morning, those 2 were gone.

So, while I don't think I'd say the figure's "impossible" to find, it doesn't seem to be a peg warmer either. 

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 30, 2016, 01:00:10 AM »

Just ordered the Rogue One 6" and two 2 packs (passed on the Poe pack for now) from Chapters. Ordered the 3.75" new wave from Amazon less Kylo Ren. It said there are only a few Sabines left in stock. Now I don't have to worry about ordering from the US or finding in stores. I do want the Hovertank pilot from TRU though and Jyn from Kmart. Happy hunting!
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 73   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169409
  • Total Topics: 14375
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 38 queries.