Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 05:05:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

70 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Read receipts for our private messaging system  (Read 2034 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Read receipts for our private messaging system
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:31:33 PM »

This is a suggestion... whether it is technically possible to implement or not, just thought I'd bring it up because I'm concerned about the reliability of the pm system.

I did a transaction with Nitrog and recently pm'd him asking if he'd received my cheque yet. Now as it turns out, he sent me a message last week indicating that he'd gotten my cheque. I definitely never got this message and I check my messages every day and never erase anything.

This isn't the first time that I've suspected that a pm I sent or that a pm which was supposed to be sent to me, never arrived. Especially when you're in the middle of discussing a trade and making arrangements, it is pretty crucial that lines of communication not be disrupted while one party is waiting for a reply from someone that they think has received their message. I can see this leading to disputes and mistrust in fact, because the other party can never really know if the first party actually did send a pm or is just bs'ing you.

If we adopted support for at least some kind of read receipt whereby you can request that once the other person has read your pm, an email is automatically sent back to you indicating that it has been read, maybe this might help to give some assurance that a pm that was sent did actually reach its intended target?

BTW, if someone recently sent me an e-mail about a trade and hasn't heard back from me, send it again because your message may have been lost  :mad0137:
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

iceman

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • THE PASSION THAT UNITES US ALL
    • View Profile
Re: Read receipts for our private messaging system
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 12:20:39 AM »

a suggestion is to have the msg sent to an email address also.  this way,  it will be a back up too.  i had a msg a while back that never made it thru either way, but you never know.  give it a try

Sifo-Dyas

• (A+ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Still Needs More Cowbell!
    • View Profile
    • VIEW MY HAVES/WANTS LIST...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 02:29:27 AM »

I've had this happen to me too. Very reputable Troopers have said that they sent me a PM but I never received said PM. I don't doubt at all that it was sent, I just never got it.

I wonder, (maybe even someone other than site admin. can answer this)
Can you just put a semicolon between the usernames(with name in quotes) such as in MS Outlook, and send it to yourself as well as the intended receiver???
I know that it's possible to send to multiple recipients, I'm just not sure if that's how you do it here in SMF

That way, if YOU receive it, chances are good that the other person got it also. If it doesn't arrive to your own inbox, you'll have a flag go up that something is wrong at least. Not fool-proof though, just a possible somewhat helpful techinique, but ya "read receipts" as you described them would be ideal, not sure how/if that is possible  though :confused0024:

And yes obviously, email instead/as well for any important transaction related correspondence would be good...

AND since I have also personally experienced  M.I.A. PM's, I'll echo what napseeker said:
If anyone hasn't heard back from me since they PM'd me about a transaction, that means the reply that I sent back to you didn't get delivered OR I never got your last PM! ! LMK if you're waiting to hear back from me cuz you already should have if I got the PM! :winking0071:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 02:35:20 AM by Sifo-Dyas »
View My HAVES/WANTS LIST[/color]           View FEEDBACK

"If We Can't Laugh At The Dead, We Have No Business Killing People. "

Koda

• <A+++ Trader> Snowtroopers.ca Website
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Welcome to Snowtroopers.ca, proudly Canadian eh!
    • View Profile
    • snowtroopers.ca
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »

Sorry only so many options in this version of the forum, use email if you are worried about the pm system.

Ian_C

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • DXcellence
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 08:04:33 PM »

I suggest this.

Go to your profile, located in the buttons in the row above the site sponsor banners.  From here, you will see menu options on the left of your screen.  The very last one is 'Private Message Options'.  Click it, and you will have a screen where you can block certain usernames from PM'ing you, and three options below that.  Here they are:

Notify by email every time you receive a personal message.

Save a copy of each Personal Message in my outbox by default.

Show a popup when you receive new messages?

Click to highlight a checkmark in each box, then save it.  MAKE SURE YOUR EMAIL IN YOUR PROFILE IS THE SAME AS THE ONE YOU USE.

Any PM's sent to another member that are forwarded to their email address will be redirected to the admin's email addresses if the email address in your profile is non-existent.

Oh, and Sifo-Dyas, yes, you can PM yourself.  I've done it. ;)

Ian
For all your wrestling needs.  Discussion, Fantasy Tournaments, Figures, Hall of Fame, etc.

Sifo-Dyas

• (A+ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Still Needs More Cowbell!
    • View Profile
    • VIEW MY HAVES/WANTS LIST...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 08:52:25 PM »

Thanks Ian and Kevin.

The thing is though, Ian, is that I already have a copy of PM's sent to me sent to my email, always have,  but when I failed to receive a PM, I didn't get the emailed copy either.

I guess this happens sometimes and if it's a major worry, people should use email as Koda and everyone has mentioned..

So how do you Pm to yourself and another member simulataneously?  just put a semicolon between their user name and your own, with names in quotes ?

I'll try it next time, maybe I'll send you a test PM Ian  :tongue0024:  Thanks again...
View My HAVES/WANTS LIST[/color]           View FEEDBACK

"If We Can't Laugh At The Dead, We Have No Business Killing People. "

Koda

• <A+++ Trader> Snowtroopers.ca Website
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Welcome to Snowtroopers.ca, proudly Canadian eh!
    • View Profile
    • snowtroopers.ca
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 01:56:25 PM »

I think this is worth mentioning:

If you reply to the email notification that you receive, your message will be sent back to the email server not the person you want to reply to. You have to reply via the pm system on the board or it won't go through

This is what the email notification says:

"You have just been sent a personal message by "member name" on SnowTroopers.ca Forums.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification.
Please do not reply to this email.

The message they sent you was:"

So if you reply to the email, the member will not get the reply.

Trust me lots of people do not read the notification and reply to the email :shakehead:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169125
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 80
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 70
Total: 75

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.