Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 02:14:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

66 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoth Wave, Achk Med-Beq, Blista-Vanee  (Read 1841 times)

Barry

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Ottawa, ON
    • View Profile
    • Basement, #24
Hoth Wave, Achk Med-Beq, Blista-Vanee
« on: November 16, 2003, 01:59:22 PM »

I just got these figures in the mail from eBay, I paid about $13 Canadian a figure after shipping and such, which I thought was not bad at all.  Here's some reviews on them!

~~~~~
Luke Skywalker (Hoth Attack)
#03/04

Articulation:  Chin (up and down), neck (swivel), shoulders (ball), waist (swivel), hips (swivel), hat scarf (swivel).

Accessories:  Lightsaber with removable Blade, Goggles, Cave Base

The Good:  Generally a very cool figure.  The sculpt is very clean and detailed, with wrinkles in the right places and some nice detailing like the ranking on his chest.  What really impresses me is the scarring on his face isn't just painted on, it's indented.  They look like gouges, as they should.  The paint is very sharp as well.  The figure fits nicely into the ice base, and he his held in place without pegs, but kind of slots that his feet fit into.  You can hold the base upside-down and easily pose Luke in the "neutral" hanging pose or the reaching for lightsaber pose.  The hat scarf flipping upside down is a nice touch that has been used before, but it's nice to see Hasbro knows what works for more realism.  The "chin" articulation, much like the Force Lightning Dooku figure helps have Luke actually look down his reaching arm towards the saber.

The Bad:  On it's own, without the new Ultra-Wampa base, Luke doesn't do much.  His pose is very static when standing upright and with no arm articulation, you can't pose him very dramatically with his saber.  He just kinda stands there.  It's really more incentive to get the rest of the scene with the Wampa pack, so it's good marketing, but if you never find the Wampa, or are just not motivated to buy one, you've got a pretty standard POTF2 stance.  The goggles are just a rehash of the Millennium Falcon Mechanic Chewie, and are too big to even appear to be Luke's.  They are only meant to be held in his hand, and cant go over his head in any way, shape or form.  A bonus for this figure would have been the "face plate" idea they used on the recent Hoth Han to cover him up.  The holster is moulded over and solid, and no blaster comes with Luke, so it's pretty useless.  It's a minor complaint, but a holster with reused Han blaster would have been nice.

Overall:
4 out of 5.  Even with all the complaints I had, I still love this figure.  I know I'll be buying the Wampa, so I guess that ups the score though.  I've always loved the image of Luke hanging upside-down in the cave for some odd reason, so to have a figure of that is very tempting.  

~~~~~
Hoth Trooper (Hoth Evacuation)
#01/04

Articulation:  Neck (swivel), shoulders (swivel), waist (swivel), hips (swivel).

Accessories:  Backpack, Blaster Rifle, Star Wars Display Base

The Good:  Nicely sculpted.  The semi-action pose of him holding his rifle out with one hand  is good for a change from the other Hoth soldiers we've had in the past.  He's definitely bulkier looking than Hoth Luke, but hey, he's wearing a snow suit, so it's ok.  The new standard grey base is a nice idea, with some detail on it to appear to be a floor tile from the Death Star or something.  The Star Wars logo is on there too, embossed, but not painted.  The hooking up to other bases is good as well in theory.  We'll get back to that though...  A nice idea to give difficult standers something to stand up on, but a themed base, even a fairly generic snow-slab, would have been nicer.

The Bad:  Not very articulated.  I would have loved a super-articulated Hoth Soldier, somewhat like the Rebel Troopers we had at the end of POTJ and reissued in SAGA.  The ability to put him in a neutral pose, scanning the Hoth landscape, holding his gun with two hands, or kneeling would have made this figure outstanding.  Instead, he's pretty much a one or two pose guy.  That all being said, some more accessories, even re-hashes would have been nice.  Electrobinoculars or another Sensor Pack would have helped out a bit to make the value more worth wile.  He's definitely not going to be a troop builder with the same grimacing facial expression and similar posing, unless you want a bizarre group of Rebels that love to mimic each other before being stepped on by an AT-AT.  The base, as I said, is good in theory, but the hook-up pegs are so tight that they raise the base of the other figure you're attaching it to so they make a really wide V instead of a flat base.  Oh well.  Really no need to hook them all up, but since the option is there, it would have been nice.  There is also a blaster that is one with the holster.  It's molded right in for a very poor POTF2 appearance.

Overall:
2.5 out of 5.  There's not a whole lot wrong with this figure, but he's just pretty average.  The sculpt is very nice, but really nothing to write home about.

~~~~~
R-3PO (Hoth Evacuation)
#02/04

Articulation:  Neck (swivel), shoulders (swivel), hips (swivel -- restricted)

Accessories:  Star Wars Display Base

The Good:  I like minor, minor characters to be made into figures, and ones with new sculpts are always good.  When I first heard of this figure, I thought I'd be another TC-14 mold used again.  The arms in a different pose than the standard #PO posing was a nice change, and there is more prominent 'bars' linking the two parts of the arm together than usual.  There's some nice detailing on the coverings, and the face looks a pit more accurate than some recent Protocol Droid figures.  While some of these pieces are probably reused and just touched up, they still make a new figure to my eye.

The Bad:  Not much detail paint wise.  The photo on the package shows more silver trim on the lines, and a more red colour which are not evident here.  The lack of a waist joint is kinda sad (I know Protocol's can't move much, but still, they can kinda rotate their torso) and the legs have very restricted movement.  The neck is tough to get moving too because of the rubbery plastic.  You can hear make a rubbery grinding noise as you turn it.  Some accessories besides the previously mentioned generic SW base would have been nice.  Some sort of base with the Hoth Base floor and some rubble could have been good, or even some sort of display map like Reiken (sp?) on a smaller scale.

Overall:
2.5 out of 5.  I like this figure too, especially because I like seeing split second characters get plastic treatment, but really, it's not a revolutionary moment in the line.

~~~~~
Imperial Dignitary Kren Blista-Vanee (Death Star Procession)
#41/03

Accessories:  Death Star Base

Articulation:  Forearms (swivel), hands (swivel), head and shoulder cloth (very restricted), feet (swivel, useless)

The Good:  In the style of the first Royal Guard, this is really a big hunk of plastic, but it looks very cool.  It doesn't do much, it just stands there, but it does it in style.  The sculpting is great, very textured and wrinkled 'cloth' and some nice, sharp lines on the shoulder cloth.  The paint is minimal, but the deep purple and red looks cool.  No articulation basically, but it's not really needed.  What else did you see this guy doing besides standing around, (unless you blinked, or don't have a widescreen copy of the movie, then you didn't see him as far as I remember).  

The Bad:  The articulation.  At the same time that it doesn't really need any, what it has is pretty useless.  It looks like an attempt on Hasbro's part to avoid a "Big-hunk-o-plastic" complaint by throwing in moveable feet (wow!) and a head area that can move a fraction of a centimetre before moving back to it's original position.  The arms swivel out like Darth Sidious, but they don't make for much posing.  No accessories, bland base.  The generic SW logo base has more detailing in it than this flat black surface.  His face could look a bit more evil though, it doesn't quite match the look of the picture on the package.  He looks a pit more friendly, and almost like Senator Palpatine.

Overall:
3 out of 5.  Why?  It just looks cool standing there.  Along side the other Dignitary*, the Emperor and some Royal Guards, this guy looks really good.  he's not an action figure, he's made for Death Star Procession dioramas that you see everyone boasting with their Stormtrooper-hoarding on their webpages.  He just looks cool standing there.

~~~~~
Achk Med-Beq (Coruscant Outlander Club)
#37/03

Accessories:  Bar Table Stand, Glass, Blaster

Articulation:  Neck (cut), Shoulders (cut), Upper-Arms (cut) Wrists (cut), Waist (cut), Hips (cut), Knees (swivel) and Boots (cut).

The Good:  Another minor character, and a great face sculpt, despite the reused body, make for a cool figure.  He and Dannl look great together, and I'm glad they made them both even with reusing the same accessories and such.  I know it would have been easy to throw in a different accessory of some sort, or change a pose, but basically because they were the same but with a different head and hand colours, they got made.  Otherwise, they would never see the light of day.  The rest of my review is edited Copy n' Paste from the Dannl review, since I've got the same comments to make.  The likeness is very nicely done.  The torso is slightly twisted in favour of leaning backwards, mainly for the pose of leaning back on one elbow at the table.  The holster is nice too, especially since he never drew a pistol in the movie.  The table is removable from the base (featuring two footpegs) and is a nice touch.  There's really not much to this figure, but it's very nicely pulled off.

The Bad:  A lot of people are probably going to gripe it's the same body, but that doesn't bother me a bit.  If that's what it takes to make more different character figures, then so be it.  The gun is very soft plastic, which is ok on it's own, but it kind of just mushes up inside the holster, probably resulting in long-term damage if it were left in it.  The paint is slightly sloppy on his lower-arm decorations.

Overall:
4.5 out of 5.  The reused body doesn't bother me.  Nice stance, nice likeness, great sculpt.  The main issue that lost it half a point was the sloppy paint on the arm decor.

~~~~~

*Look for my reviews of the other Dignitary, the Outlander Club wave, Homestead Padmé, and the McQuarrie Trooper soon!

EDIT
Here's some pics.  I don't have a camera, just a scanner (a bad one at that - there is no blue line through Achk Med-Beq).  I tried scanning the Luke base, it didn't work so well.  Anyway, here's the pics!

http://members.rogers.com/basement24/ebay/sw01.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/basement24/ebay/sw02.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/basement24/ebay/sw03.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/basement24/ebay/sw04.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/basement24/ebay/sw05.jpg
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 06:31:23 PM by Barry »
Visit my Gallery at www.basement24.com!

Kitchener

• <A++Trader> Dark
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Rock Bottom!
    • View Profile
Re:Hoth Wave, Achk Med-Beq, Blista-Vanee
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 05:14:36 PM »

Pictures of these?
First ever Survivor Champ!

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 11:23:41 AM »

You can see them all plus many more at alliancecollectibles.com

Barry

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Ottawa, ON
    • View Profile
    • Basement, #24
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 02:12:30 PM »

Check out my edited post for scans!
Visit my Gallery at www.basement24.com!

Darron

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 04:31:01 PM »

like the hoth trooper! looks good, but like what barry said not a lot of articulation. almost like the old one. ::)

u4ea

• (A++ Trader) Imperial Assassin
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I SITHED MY PANTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 08:37:20 PM »

any of those showing up in canada yet???
guess we're probably gonna get f'd again huh?

Tuscan Writer

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 03:33:37 PM »

Somebody get that Imperial a smoke! ;)

~TW~
I thought you were BLIND!

apu nahasapenipeth

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 08:47:43 PM »

That second Imp Dig looks like the guy from the Royal Canadian Air Farce.....................

http://www.airfarce.com/info/biodon.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169079
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 37 queries.