Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 09:49:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

30 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street people / Homeless situation  (Read 2143 times)

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Street people / Homeless situation
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 09:38:55 PM »

I am also keeping an eye on this thread.

Stormtripper, I understand your rant. It only takes one person to ruin it for others. You hear too many stories of "homeless" people pulling scams, like the one Hipster mention, I remember that story.

Sadly there are people out there who are homeless, and need help. Why they don't ask for it? I don't know.

I have seen many teenagers downtown asking for handouts, and I wonder are they really homeless/poor or just trying to get some quick change.

When I first started working at the place I'm at now, there was a tall guy, knickname hightower, cant think of his first  name, but he said everyone calls him that. He was a great worker, never late, never missed a shift, and would do what ever you asked him to do. One day he didn't show up for work. Didn't know why, cause this never happend.

After reading the papers we found out what happen. He died in a building that caught on fire. He was homeless, and was living with people in a deserted building downtown, anyone in Hamilton remember Eddies?

We didn't know he was homeless till we read the article. So there are people out there trying to change, but its hard to find them, cause of all the scams that others do.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 09:42:59 PM »

I agree with JJ - I am sure we all know people (whether individuals or groups) who are really annoying, frustrating, despicable, evil, whatever who come from all races - caucasian, african american, Middle-eastern, asian, etc., etc.  It doesn't merit a blanket statement, ESPECIALLY on a public forum like this.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 10:20:05 PM »

Well yesterday when I went grocery shopping, as usual, there is at least one guy who is part of a program which sells the "Street News" outside the store. It's my understanding that, as an alternative to begging, they get to keep the proceeds from the newspapers they sell. There's no set price for the paper so it's up to the generosity of the buyer. These guys I don't mind and most of the time I just say, "Not tonight, thanks" and I move along.

I saw him on my way in and thought, ah, tonight I'll get one of the papers on my way out. After shopping for a while (it was 10:00 pm) I checked out and then stopped to give the guy a dollar. He says, "Aw, thanks man. I've been out here for half an hour and all I'm tring to do is get enough to buy something from Burger King and get a ride home." I said, "Good luck", and headed to the car with my shopping cart.

As I was loading up the car I got to thinking about this topic and decided that these guys are the kind that I differentiate from the corner beggars. They're at least doing something to earn the money. When I was done, I got in the car and then pulled up along side him. I asked him what kind of sandwich he liked (referring to the Burgin King joined to the lot). He said, "Oh, it doesn't matter, anything would be great", and then he reached into his pockets and pulled out the change and said, "take this and put it towards it".

I told him to keep the change and then drove over to get him a Chicken Sandwich combo with fries and a CokeŽ (okay, it was the Tuesday Combo special... $4... no biggie). I drove it back to him, wished him a Merry Christmas, and headed home.

Is there a point to this? No, not really. It's just Christmas and I thought it was time I did something nice for somebody I didn't know. Feels kinda good.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

baggins1977

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 01:06:19 AM »

hey jjreason thanks for the post.  i edited it myself.  ill have to check the CC of C on the statement u made of the assault thing.  ill have to look for my old one from school, but it is classified as an assault.  no i wasnt hurt but couldve been badly hurt.  the next day there was a shooting here in our city at the exact time when my incident occurred.  luckily no one was hurt then but who knows if it was a day early it couldve been me.  and well when the press got a hold of it and they found out who the person was, well guess what nationality it was.  've had a few shootings here and its been from all the same background. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 01:12:52 AM by baggins1977 »

richd

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I ain't no stinkin' llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 01:15:18 AM »

He said, "Oh, it doesn't matter, anything would be great", and then he reached into his pockets and pulled out the change and said, "take this and put it towards it".

I told him to keep the change and then drove over to get him a Chicken Sandwich combo with fries and a CokeŽ (okay, it was the Tuesday Combo special... $4... no biggie). I drove it back to him, wished him a Merry Christmas, and headed home.

Is there a point to this? No, not really. It's just Christmas and I thought it was time I did something nice for somebody I didn't know. Feels kinda good.

What does it tell you that he offered to pay toward it with what little he had. That's the kind of person it's easy to go the extra mile for (as you did). You probably made his week, hats off to you .  :happy0025:

baggins1977

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 01:18:43 AM »

hey JJ  i checked the net for the CC of C and heres what an assualt it. 'b' for the situation i was in.

section 265.
(1) A person commits an assault when

(a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;

(b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or

(c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs.

i wanted to add one more thing about stormtrippers post.  yes its hard to deal with the hassel of homeless people but some are good people.  when i do give change the odd time to people its to the ones who are outside of mcdonalds or any fast food change that are most likely gonna buy food.  what i cant stand are the ones who stand outside beer stores and ask for change. now i wonder where that $ is going to.

good job hellboy that is cool what u did.  hats off to ya.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 01:32:31 AM by baggins1977 »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169109
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 30
Total: 33

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 39 queries.