Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 10:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

69 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a new computer, Any Ideas?  (Read 2754 times)

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Looking for a new computer, Any Ideas?
« on: May 13, 2007, 09:12:22 AM »

My wife and I are thinking about gettign a new computer, we currently have a Compaq Presario ANMD 64 Athlon, with LightScribe DVD +-,
getting a bit old now, and we were thinking about maybe getting a Mac, all we have ever had is PC's and well we have had enough of Microsoft.
Anybody out there changed from a PC to a Mac?, if so what was your expience?, did it live up to expectations?.. They seem pretty pricey but worth it i think, I was looking on the Mac.ca store website and am thinking about getting this set up.

Processor: Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 1GB (2 x 512MB)

Hard Drive: just one I think for now (250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s)

Graphics Card: This is where I am stumped,, I have the choice of the following, (I really like NVIDIA)
 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $179]
 ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $299]
 3 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $359]
 4 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB [Add $539]
 NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $1979]

Display: Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)

Optical Drive: Two 16x SuperDrives

What do you gusy think?...

We mainly want a machine that does a bit of everthing, I want it to do Grahpics work, Editing photos and movies and making stop motion movies and 3D animations, I also want it to play games like Star Wars Lego and LoTR.

My wife uses computers mainly for Geneology, so she needs something that can run her family history programs and play games like Civilization..

Any help in this matter would greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance for any help or advice or insites.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

Jodo:Kast

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • He's no good to me dead!
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: Looking for a new computer, Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »

Macs are definatly sweet!  You dont have to really worry about getting hacked or getting a virus!  They cost quite a bit more but you get what you pay for...a well built machine that doesnt crash or give you the blue screen of death every other day...the only drawback I can see from your description is maybe software...while Macs come with software that will let you edit photos, edit video, burn movies and cds, etc...your wife may find it hard to find games or geneology software to use on a Mac...while software is becoming more accesable to Macs its still no where near as easy as for PCs...you should look into what kinds of software you can get before deciding on a MAC because you may be very limited...When I was looking for a new comp I seriously considered a MAC but went with a PC because I couldnt find all the software I wanted to use on the MAC...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:57:06 AM by Jodo:Kast »

hipster

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • killer bunnies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:56:43 AM »

Macs are definatly sweet!  You dont have to really worry about getting hacked or getting a virus!  They cost quite a bit more but you get what you pay for...a well built machine that doesnt crash or give you the blue screen of death every other day...the only drawback I can see from your description is maybe software...while Macs come with software that will let you edit photos, edit video, burn movies and cds, etc...your wife may find it hard to find games or geneology software to use on a Mac...while software is becoming more accesable to Macs its still no where near as easy as for PCs...you should look into what kinds of software you can get before deciding on a MAC because you may be very limited...When I was looking for a new comp I seriously considered a MAC but went with a PC because I couldnt find all the software I wanted to use on the MAC...

Isn't there software out there that will emulate a PC so the software will run on a Mac???

:sign0065:
"Why in Hell should I have to Press 1 for English"
DVD Collection

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:41:06 AM »

wel as I understand it you can now run windows on a mac, but wont that start making the comouter crash?. that kinda defeats the whole point..

Thanks for the info though.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

richd

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I ain't no stinkin' llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 10:15:31 PM »

I have a 20" iMac and I love it! It has it's occasional blips but NOTHING like my PC at work.

If music, video, pics are what you're interested in, go mac all the way.

There are two ways to run PC on an intel Mac. One is a program called "Parallels" and it's emulation software. It works pretty good but you can't run memory intense software or 3D gaming on it. I run my income tax program through it. It crashes here and there (the Windows side of it) but it runs well enough.

The other way is "Bootcamp" which boots into Windows. I haven't tried that one but I bet it could handle more memory intense programs.

Macs cost a bit more up front, but you absolutely get what you pay for. You usually have to spend just as much to get the same bang/buck ratio with a PC. I've been a Mac user for about 10 years and the only beef I have is some video games take for ever to come out for mac.

Kevobi

• Snowtroopers.ca Web
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • TK8423
    • View Profile
    • www.KevinFawley.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:24:53 PM »

I made the switch about 2 years ago, and could never go back to a PC.

My Mac is low/little/no maintenance, and practically takes care of itself.
kevin @ snowtroopers.ca
Winnipeg, MB

Jedi Jim

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Your thoughts dwell on your mother, Oedipus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 06:55:21 PM »

My buddy who is a die hard Macaholic says:

"Once you go Mac, you never go back!"

Our next 'puter will be an ibook.

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »

Thanks for all the info, I think I will be going Mac, We can always keep our PC for just my wifes Geneology work. I just bought her an external HD so once a move we back everything up on to it, that way if the PC (which I believe stands for Piece of Crap) crashes and we can not start it again we can always reboot the whole thing and load up from the external HD.

But Mac it is..

Thanks again.

Jamie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170170
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 69
Total: 70

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.