Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 06:25:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

63 Guests, 2 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: $1CDN = $1USD (!)  (Read 3365 times)

Cobalt60

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
  • may the LAG be with you
    • View Profile
$1CDN = $1USD (!)
« on: September 20, 2007, 04:52:51 PM »

good news for canadian collectors

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/20092007/6/finance-canadian-dollar-hits-parity-high.html

the canadian dollar reached 'parity' with the US dollar at 11AM today, and its still rising.  :u:
it might go as high as $1.10 US by the end of 2008.  woot!  (now my MR stuff won't cost so much bwahaha!)

boba_fett300

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Born To Hunt Toys
    • View Profile
Re: $1CDN = $1USD (!)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »

Awesome news, but will retailers like toys r us change the price to be the same?

clonecommander972

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 05:36:36 PM »

they better, because i have the the ultimate way to convince them to. walk into TRU wearing a vader costume, take a price tag, and change it so it's the same as the US. go to the manager and say"i have altered the price. pray i do not alter it further" i've always wanted to go figure hunting while wearing a star wars costume :)

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:05:47 PM »

they better, because i have the the ultimate way to convince them to. walk into TRU wearing a vader costume, take a price tag, and change it so it's the same as the US. go to the manager and say"i have altered the price. pray i do not alter it further" i've always wanted to go figure hunting while wearing a star wars costume :)

:D :rollfloorlaffsmiley: :rockon: :love0030: ;) :winking0071: :)

Cmdr Bacara

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I whacked Ki-Adi Mundi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:08:20 PM »

<groan> I get paid in US$ and live in Canada....I'm getting killed.

mistersql

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Ta dah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 07:15:20 PM »

The prices won't drop until the manufacturing costs drop accordingly.  Products made with the lower dollar cost more and need to be sold at a higher price to make up the profit.  We may see better pricing if the dollar can last for a while.

Conversally a stronger dollar isn't necessarily good for us cannucks since it apparently scares away the stigma of 'cheap labour' or resources.

Anyway, here's hoping that the stronger dollar stays with us for a bit.  If anything cross-border shopping should be pretty sweet.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:26:16 PM »

Man that made me laugh. :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

What really gets me is the Lego sets.  The hoth rebel base is $49.99 US and they want $79.99 for it I believe.  Give me a break!!!! 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Brent Peconi

• Founding Member of the "Imperial Chatters"
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Setting Sail in Galaxies Far Far Away....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:45:44 PM »

AS a guy who works in freight forwarding and know all too much about the ROE and how it affects things -- im not thrilled...

Exporters are loving this time -- they are making money just for thier location here at home!!! If the dollar starts to get stronger -- then i can definietly see a possible shift away from the USA as a superpower.. altho this is if it stays like this...

Importers -- aka my deptarment -- are crining/going nuts/punching walls over this... the goods they bring in are costing them more and more... and for a company like the one i work for -- we are actually pushing our billng AHEAD of time.. so we dont lose money by waiting and havin the ROE rise...

Crazy world out there.. altho ive been a firm believer in the USA falling from power -- and i think the EU has a great system right now...
Proud Member of the Southern Ontario Crew

hipster

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • killer bunnies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 06:48:54 AM »

The automotive industry (which I work in ) will get hurt from this equal dollar. I'm all for the high loonie until it starts to affect my job, I would like to see it at around .70 again.   :sign0065:
"Why in Hell should I have to Press 1 for English"
DVD Collection

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 08:25:50 AM »

A lot of people on Ebay have increased their shipping fees  recently, to compensate for the amopunt of money they are loosing with the exchange rate at the moment.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:24:25 AM »

A lot of people on Ebay have increased their shipping fees  recently, to compensate for the amopunt of money they are loosing with the exchange rate at the moment.

USPS have raised their s/h charges as they did up here a few years ago....ALOT of sellers are using the excuse that s/h starts @ $10.00 us...I mean cdn...Imean...anyhoot,I get figures from a US source...the fellow sends it for a cheap 4.25 s/h and it usually arrives within 1 week...
 So inquire about the s/h charges...but also keep it in mind that many sellers want to track their items to the buyer...this is another reason for higher rates..!

GOTTA LOVE USPS...CANADA POST...NOT!!! :mad0177: :scared0008: :speechless-smiley-004:

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 10:10:47 AM »

just a thought... :speechless-smiley-004:

...might throw a auction up on EBUTT ...offering up a CANUCK LOONIE....the americans might want to invest....HAAaaaaaAAAAaaaaAAAAaaaaAAAa...... :love0030:

:fett: :r2d2line: :r2d2line:

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Not just the president but also a client!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 11:13:41 AM »

This is great for going shopping in U.S but not so great in the big picture.  As guys have suggested, when our dollar goes up it makes it less attractive for foreign companies to buy our export goods or produce stuff IN Canada.  Double-edged sword.
Not holding my breath on places like TRU levelling out prices in the short run.
They're COLLECTIBLES.  They don't become TOYS until you take them out of the package.

NO exclusives please - we're Canadian!

Cobalt60

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
  • may the LAG be with you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 12:18:16 PM »

the only reason its costing "more" for shipping to canada(in USD) is because the USD has plummetted and is losing its value. 

this isn't a strong loonie we're seeing here ; its a weak greenback.

(and its "dubya's" fault btw  :tongue0024: ; he counts on the fact that the USD is the international standard for currency and, for lack of a better metaphor, he thinks he can just "print more money" to cover the cost of the war. (and/or, cash in on "$80 oil" by way of corporate tax on the oil industry; the higher the cost of oil, the greater the government's revenues)*.   but what we're seeing here is the end-limit of the USD's influence over the rest of the global economy, including the price of oil, which simply can't go much higher, without nuking another producer to further limit demand. heh.    the reality is: the US only has 200million people in a world of 7billion and the US economy has become seriously dwarfed by the sheer size and scope to which the 'global economy' has grown in the last few decades. coupled with: the sheer size and scope of the US military spending in iraq*; the mortgage crisis (where the US banking industry's answer to the sluggish economy was to loan out money which doesn't even exist); AND the looming 'top limit' as to how high the oil price can possibly climb (without taking out Iran*).. and you gotta figure there's only so much "value" in the entire US economy to pay for it all. international standard, or not, you're going to hit the wall eventually. the US doesn't have enough "gold" in its economy to back up their "paper" anymore.  for lack of a better metaphor. and the mortgage crisis didn't help matters) 

-==============-

* consider:

when ALL the world's oil producers are "producing" then the price of crude hovers historically at around $13per barrel.  its been this way since the 1800's. look it up.

at that price, america doesn't make much money by taxing the oil industry, and the tarsands in alberta are too expensive to EVEN extract.  north american oil costs $15per barrel to produce.  but middle east oil costs more like $6.  so when the world is enjoying "normal" oil prices, (ie: when the world is at peace), then the middle east holds ALL the cards.

--> but when you "take out" a middle east producer, and take them "offline", like Iraq, for example..
(by waging a never ending war on their soil driven by the politics of fear, for example)..
then the price magically climbs to around $60 per barrel, because production can't keep up with demand.

this is HUGELY befeficial to the US economy.

the world FRIST realised this,  during the iran/iraq war in the 1980's, which caused an unexpected BOOM in the american economy.  why? BECAUSE the price of oil was up so freaking disproportionately high, compared to the cut in supply.  and the higher the price of oil, the more the US producers can "own" a share of their own consumer market, the more "domestic" oil is used back home, (the less the US consumer relies on middle east oil),etc,,, and the more the US government makes from corporate tax on the domestic industry as a whole.

so it goes like this: the government wages a war in the middle east; the war shuts down a middle east producer (like iRAQ), and drives up the cost of oil; the high cost of oil results in huge revenues for domestic producers back home; the tax on the domestic producers pays for the cost of the war!!  !EVERY TIME!

there's  a HUGE difference between $13crude and $60crude, as it effects the US economy

unfortunately, there's NOT a huge difference between $60 crude and $80 crude (heh).
and thats where we're at now.

and also , unfortuately (for the US),   every OTHER country in the world is ALSO benefitting from $60 oil (heh) like Russia and China who have TOO MUCH influence on the "global economy" for their own good.  (heaven forbid). 

as mentioned before, the global economy has grown FASTER than the US economy, under the SAME stimuli, and the US economy is LOSING its influence over the rest of the world.   its beig dwarfed by hw large the "global economy" has become

for a multitude of different reasons (the domestic mortgage crisis being one of the big ones) the US economy is hanging by a freaking thread here. 

the value of the US economy has just hit the proverbial "wall", so to speak, and the US dollar is crashing as a result.  (there isn't enough "value" to back up the "paper" anymore)

and as long as the US dollar is the international standard for currency.. there NOWHERE left for the administration to take this..

(( pressure from the global economy, will drive the value of their dollar down FURTHER, as the rest of the global economy gets stronger and the disparity narrows between the US and countries like china/russia for example.  (and this is why the world needs to switch to a "gold standard" for international currency instead of allowing the US dollar to be the "standard" for the rest of the world btw)... the entire US economy could collapse, under pressure from the "global economy")) 

unless.. 

maybe..

possibly..

if the US were the take out Iran in a very CHEAP war of complete annihilation
(read:nukes)
then this will remove the "cap" on how high the oil price can possibly climb, given current production capacity.   

if we take out a second producer.. then we'll see $120 crude, which is TEN TIMES the "normal", historical price of oil, which has been the same ever since the 1800's when we started keeping track of it.  (probably longer)

this will cause a "second" boom in the US economy, and add strength to the greenback, and reassert the US influence over the global economy.  for the next five years.  or so.  until Russia and China reap the same benefits, catch up,  and take complete control of the world.  then (Hillary?) will have to nuke them too.  no big.  :P

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 01:52:50 PM by Cobalt60 »

sewbacca

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 01:39:14 PM »

Well Said Cobalt!!
The circle is now complete. When I left I was but the learner, now I am the master
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169105
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 63
Total: 65

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.