Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2018, 04:33:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

25 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hidesato and the Giant Centipede  (Read 8555 times)

ace

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Hidesato and the Giant Centipede
« on: November 06, 2007, 07:20:44 PM »

Trying to do something different...my buddies and I have started a monthly sketch group and this was my entry for the month.  The theme was to design/draw a mythical creature and I chose an old japanese myth about an archer and a giant centipede (see below).  I was also trying to go for a more 'paintery' look for this peice and tried to create the image entirely in Corel Painter.  The other focus was to work on composition/design and I was trying to work on the positive/negative space play and the dynamism between light and dark areas.  I like the final peice, there are some areas that I wish I shuld go back and fix (like the foreground rock formations) and it was also nice to get away from the usual science fiction stuff I do.  It was a bit of a challenge to do more organic/character drawings but I am prety happy with the final result.

"From Japanese Mythology...
In the mountains near Lake Biwa, lived the Centipede, a monstrous, outsized creature that preyed upon the people who lived there.The Dragon King of Lake Biwa called upon Hidesato, a legendary hero in Japanese myth, to slay the Centipede.
Hidesato killed the creature using an arrow coated with his own saliva, fired into the Centipede's brain.For this mighty feat, the Dragon King rewarded him with a ricebag that would never run empty."

Thoughts and critiques welcome, hope you don't get tired of my posts!

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Hidesato and the Giant Centipede
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 08:11:02 PM »

Your work has inspired me to pick up pencil again, Thank you for your amazing pictures.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »

Another fine piece.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing your work. I always enjoy seeing what you've created next.

ace

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:43:52 PM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm glad to hear other artiste's are picking up the ol pen and pencils...I enjoy seeing your work as I much as I enjoy sharing mine :)

I've been able to crank out images at a faster pace recently, so hopefully I will be able to share a bit more in the near future!  I'm really excited about a SW themed concept that I've been slowly working on for the past few weeks that I think you'd like, so stay tuned to the SW Art section!

Gray

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »

:)`Sir............... its...........................................................................so awsome!!!...love it.

Darth Plagueis

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »

Wicked art work man!! Keep up the good Work.
"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
―Darth Plagueis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169129
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 25
Total: 26

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 38 queries.