Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 01:47:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

70 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD quality on today's releases.......  (Read 1219 times)

Bo Shrek

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
DVD quality on today's releases.......
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:13:05 AM »

I own a 36" widescreen HD Sony Wega with s video cables. When watching DVD's the picture is amazing. Watching shows like Monsters Inc., Nemo, and King Kong are simply sharp and clear. Many of my friends have commented on how sharp and vibrate my TV is.

Month ago when I purchased the "300" two disc set I opened it up to find  a leaflet indicating that this movie is also available on HD DVD and Blue ray.
I thought that's dumb if I had a HD player I would have purchased it in that format. As I watched the show I could not help but notice that the picture looked grainy. It still looked good but for a movie that used 100% CG backgrounds I expected a sharper quality (King Kong).

Yesterday I bought Shrek the Third. Watching this I noticed that it did not look as vibrate as the other Shrek movies on my TV. Most scenes looked flat. This got me thinking. Are movie companies reducing the quality of their DVD's to promote HD DVD's? DO they have the capabilities to do this. I do not know the answer I just wanted to throw it out and get opinions. Have you guys noticed this too with your dvd's?

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
Re: DVD quality on today's releases.......
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:45:23 AM »

I've noticed that as time goes by, picture quality on DVD's has gotten much better, depending on the studio.  Fox seems to do a great job with theirs compared to others.  300 however was made to look grainy.  I have the HD copy and it's filtered to have that look to it.  The behind the scenes stuff that are in HD are clean and crisp compared to the side by side shots.  HD makes a big difference the bigger your screen though.  Ours is 110" and there is a clear difference between standard and HD formats.  The sound is far better too.

TILALLR1

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »

Its a know fact that Warner is definitely doing this with their DVD's.

I compared 300 & Superman Returns on DVD to their Blu-ray couterparts and there is a huge difference in quality. Although there really shouldn't be that much of a gap. Both 300 and Superman Returns look like first generation DVD in terms of their quality. They are extremely grainy, artifacting is present, its just plan and simple a really bad transfer on DVD.

Whether or not Warner is doing this intentionally to steer people to High-Def is beyond me. But I have long thought this to be the case. Especially with these last few disappointments.
TIL ALL ARE ONE

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »

Its a know fact that Warner is definitely doing this with their DVD's.

I compared 300 & Superman Returns on DVD to their Blu-ray couterparts and there is a huge difference in quality. Although there really shouldn't be that much of a gap. Both 300 and Superman Returns look like first generation DVD in terms of their quality. They are extremely grainy, artifacting is present, its just plan and simple a really bad transfer on DVD.

Whether or not Warner is doing this intentionally to steer people to High-Def is beyond me. But I have long thought this to be the case. Especially with these last few disappointments.

What?
That is incredibly illogical... of course Blue Ray is going to look better. It's HD. A regular DVD on an HD television is still going to look like a regular DVD. Even S-Video is not HD quality...
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

TILALLR1

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 03:32:30 PM »

Please note I did say that the HD versions were extremely better than their DVD couterparts. Typically they are only moderately better from my own experience. I can safetly say that I am not the only one who has notice this. Ever since HD titles have been produced by Warner this has been happening. Especially with there High-end titles like 300 and Superman Returns. Superman Returns was in particular a really disappointment on DVD. It is close to VHS quality.

Whether it makes sense or not, something strange is happening.  :confused0024:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:44:56 PM by TILALLR1 »
TIL ALL ARE ONE

pcdawg

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • I'm a llama! NOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »

the movie 300 in general has many scenes that are grainy, even i HD.  The film was made that way.

As for saying ALL HD movies in BD or HD-DVD are top-notch is not true.  There has been some releases that they look just the same as DVD superbit.

I take for example Fifth Element.  They had a blu-ray version out which looked exactly the same as the regular DVD, people complaint  enough where Sony re-did the encoding and offered a remastered version for replacement.

There's other titles out there that are HD format which are not up to par.  Its always best to google reviews of these format releases to make sure that they did a good job in re-encoding them in HD.

Bo Shrek

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »

OK maybe using "300" was a bad example. But Shrek the Third compared to the other two movies looks like it's below par. Do you think the standard of picture quality of regular DVD's are purposly being reduced to promote HD DVD's? Am I only getting 80% of what a regular DVD can handle as opposed to 100% of a regular DVD say of five years ago?

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:26:38 AM »

Are people watching Blue-Ray on regular TVs?
Anyone without a true-HD television (and I'm not just talking about the widescreen tvs people think are HD) watching a Blue-Ray disc isn't going to see anything different... kinda like hooking a DVD player up to a black and white TV and expecting to see colour...

There are bad transfers out there, just like Lucas slapping the old Laserdisc SW movie onto a DVD, but to think companies are purposely doing it to push consumers towards HD is nuts.

With the exception of the past few years, everything was still being shot on film. Most companies aren't going to re-master a movie just for HD (unless they thought ahead and digitized the movie at a higher resolution than required for Regular DVD). They just happen to be releasing the movie for a new type of console. No matter how hard you try, the original King Kong isn't going to look like the new one on HD. If I'd have been at Sony when the calls about The Fifth Element came in I'd probably have laughed... "Yeah, like we're gonna rework that one"... but then since Sony is the pioneer of Blue-Ray they probably thought it was in there best interest to re-deliver one of their own movies in a format that actually suited the technology.

Again, there's good, there's bad and there's ugly. Technology changes every day and I'm pretty sure that by the time regular DVDs fade from the picture there will be something new to beat out Blue-Ray... there's a reason everyone isn't on the band-wagon yet.

Oh.. and Shrek The Third is below par... it was a horrible money-grab to begin with and I'm sure that half the energy went into producing it in the first place... so it wouldn't be a shocker if the DVD quality looks inferior too.  ;)
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170155
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 70
Total: 70

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 37 queries.