Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 10:08:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

56 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadian ISP's other than Rogers and Bell  (Read 4279 times)

Massacre Mike

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Beep booop
    • View Profile
    • The Mental Kavity
Canadian ISP's other than Rogers and Bell
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:04:31 AM »

Hey Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a trustworth and reliable internet service provider other than Rogers and Bell?
I've just started doing some research online and I've found an ISP company called Acanac that looks pretty good. But I'm not 100% certain yet.

The reason I ask is that recently the two big internet service providers in Ontario, Rogers and Bell, have implemented a monthly download/upload cap. Yes, technically there has always been a cap on how much you can download per month but, for instance, I'm with Rogers and just received a notification in the mail this evening that outlines that starting in June I will start getting charged $2.00/GB for every GB we go over our set max, up to a maximum charge of $25 in one monthly period.

My current subscription allows me to download/upload 60GB per month. So, starting in June, once I go over that 60GB monthly limit I'll start getting charged $2 per GB of information that I download/upload.

I will digress a little bit here but personally I'm tired of being told in such passive-aggressive manners what I can and cannot do. Gas prices are huge so I've had to cut back on where I go and how much driving I do. Food prices are on the rise so I have to spend more time picking and choosing very carefully what I purchase and consume. The costs of cable television subscriptions go up every year and going on a movie date nearly requires you to take out a mortgage. For many years the internet has provided a pretty cost effective source of information, communication and entertainment. Now, limits are starting to be placed on this too. And that really gets me annoyed.

Thanks for reading and please let me know what you think. Thoughts and feedback are greatly appreciated.
Visit my blog for all sorts of exciting genre-related content... and of course... STAR WARS.

http://thementalkavity.blogspot.com/

SciFiEric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian ISP's other than Rogers and Bell
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:57:28 AM »

I remember this happening to a friend of  mine who was with Bell at the time and it just ticked him off!  :mad0137:

However also at the time there was a bill/law going around at the time that was going to prevent it saying it went against our rights as Canadians.  :fighting0003:

Whatever happened to that bill/law?  ???

I thought it passed because things quited down for awhile...
Anyone know?  :r2d2:

This would SUCk because im also with Rogers and get close to that 60GB limit now and then...  :scared0008:

AND Im also on a TIGHT budget as all my "available" money goes to my Star Wars collecting!!!  :winking0071:  :P

Massacre Mike

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Beep booop
    • View Profile
    • The Mental Kavity
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04:55 AM »

Good points man!
My budget is tiney due to Star Wars and now GI JOE collecting - ohh, and comic books.  LOL.

Buuuut, yeah I'm way over 60BG each month. I could probably pay an extra 10 bucks a month to bump my service up to 95GB and restrain myself to staying within that limit. But really, what is the point of the internet if you can't leave your favourite streaming radio station going all day? Orrrr, your fave bit torrent download interface?  :confused0024:

I'll definitely be looking and researching harder into what other options there are for service providers. But, if you're with Rogers and you've not received this letter in the mail yet, you will be getting it. They aren't just sending it out to "heavy bandwidth" users. It's all across the board. My parents got the same letter and they barely even turn their computer on.      :mad0137:
Visit my blog for all sorts of exciting genre-related content... and of course... STAR WARS.

http://thementalkavity.blogspot.com/

jlove

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »

I'm with Bell, at the time I picked between the two Rogers in my area seemed slowed from overuse and though I'm told both companies throttle I have not experienced the slow down since signing on with Bell.  I didn't want to at first because they only offered a 30GB cap with Highspeed, but they upped it to 60GB without question and I haven't had a problem since.  This might just be Rogers catching up to Bell, because Bell has never hesistated to charge people I know for extra usage.  However I think their charge was/is $1 dollar per extra GB up to a maximum of $30. 

TILALLR1

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:23:30 PM »

I use these guys because Cogeco (Rogers wantabee) sucks. Been using them for about 3 years now. No problems. Very fast and extremely reliable. Also, NO cap on service. Download all the movies and music you want.

http://www.sentex.net
TIL ALL ARE ONE

TILALLR1

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »

This may be the beginning of the end for home internet usage. At least for downloader’s. Make sure you know what your kids are downloading. Otherwise you may be in for a huge bill in the coming months. Bell is next to start using pricing based on consumption. So no one is safe.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/419741

Rogers to limit `free' Internet

Pricing that depended on speed will now add consumption to mix, cable executives say
Apr 30, 2008 04:30 AM
CHRIS SORENSEN
BUSINESS REPORTER

Some of Rogers' heaviest Internet users could soon be reaching for their wallets before they download "free" movies or video games from file-sharing websites such as BitTorrent.
Executives at Rogers Communications Inc. said yesterday the cable giant is moving toward a utility-type model where the user pays based on the amount of broadband capacity consumed.
It's argued that such an approach will help ensure Rogers' network isn't clogged by a small number of users who have a voracious appetite for broadband capacity.
"I believe this will be the first time that this has been done in North America," said Ted Rogers, the company's CEO, during a meeting with reporters yesterday.
Rogers has already introduced usage caps on its various tiers of home Internet service, which have traditionally been priced in Canada as all-you-can eat services, albeit with varying levels of download speeds. Exceeding the caps will trigger extra charges.
Subscribers can monitor their Internet use on Rogers' website and will be sent messages when they are approaching their monthly limits. Rogers is rolling out a system that will place alerts directly on the Web page a subscriber is viewing.
"Historically, pricing on wireline Internet has been based on speed," said Nadir Mohamed, chief operating officer of Rogers' communications division. "Now it will be based on speed and usage."
However, Mohamed said the company would still engage in the controversial practice of "throttling" or "shaping" traffic on its network in order to relieve congestion during peak hours. That's accomplished by using special software to sniff out bandwidth-hungry applications such as peer-to-peer services and steer the data into the equivalent of an Internet slow lane.
Critics charge such practices violate the concept of "net neutrality," or the idea that all traffic on the Internet should be treated equally. They claim that giving certain types of Internet traffic preference – either by slowing it down or forcing users to pay extra – could stifle innovation on the Web.
The issue was recently put before the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission after a group representing several smaller Internet Service Providers complained Bell Canada Inc. was expanding its "traffic shaping" policy from its own retail service to include its wholesale ISP customers.
Bell, however, said it had no choice but to implement the change, claiming 95 per cent of its subscribers were at risk of seeing their service deteriorate because of the surfing habits of the other 5 per cent.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:47:02 PM by TILALLR1 »
TIL ALL ARE ONE

TILALLR1

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »

Double Post
TIL ALL ARE ONE

irisreg

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »

Possibly try Radiant.  www.radiant.net

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169107
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 56
Total: 59

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 38 queries.