Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 12:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

62 Guests, 0 Users

Poll

Which computer did the Empire Provide you with?

PC with Windows
- 9 (75%)
Apple / Macintosh
- 2 (16.7%)
Linux
- 0 (0%)
Some other type of computer that we picked up in the raid on Hoth
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snowtroopers PC vs Mac Thread  (Read 2941 times)

Brent Peconi

• Founding Member of the "Imperial Chatters"
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Setting Sail in Galaxies Far Far Away....
    • View Profile
Snowtroopers PC vs Mac Thread
« on: June 01, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »

Troopers!

Been hearing so much about the PC vs Mac thing everywhere lately. On TV in commercials, on Diggnation and Revision3 shows ( If you do not know about the Revision3 network - look it up online now - im sure your in for a huge treat.) and in the online community/users as a whole.

Im interested to know

1) Who uses it
2) Why they said " im using this "
3) What they would say to someone who was thinking " i may use that "

Im on a PC - have been since nearly day 1 - im using a PC cause really - thats all i know how to work with and i just deal with the bugs. But im tempted to go to Mac due to the software ( id love to make a homemade film someday, got a new Nikon D40 last year so picture stuff would be great - oh and the no viruses would be handy too...)
Proud Member of the Southern Ontario Crew

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Snowtroopers PC vs Mac Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »

I built my own PC a couple of winters ago and am still using the same one today. My wife has Apple experience but I have none, so I'll stick with PC. I think new users who want less headaches, as well as people working in specialized fields (like art or engineering) can be sold on Apple... I think most people still want access to the mounds of software available for PC, which is why it remains the main type of system.

mistersql

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Ta dah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:11:51 PM »

I've also always been on PC.

I make digital short films on my PC at home and have no problemos.  My old celeron sucked pretty bad at it but my new low-end dual core pentium handles everything quite well all the way down to chromakey effects.  Some of the files that I deal with are over 3 Gig and have had no issues, the celeron would have carshed!

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:25:19 PM »

Got a G5 abobut three years ago before Apple went to intel chips.  I love it.  Best computer I have ever owned.   Software is great.  They are over priced though.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Koda

• <A+++ Trader> Snowtroopers.ca Website
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Welcome to Snowtroopers.ca, proudly Canadian eh!
    • View Profile
    • snowtroopers.ca
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:19:56 AM »

Dual core, dual boot pentium pc .I have business, games and graphics on one copy of windows and can boot up another copy of windows with all my guitar effects , recording and other music programs , works like a charm. Would never have a mac or windows vista either

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:05:55 AM »

After having several Dells (and no qualms about their hardware) I got so tired of and frustrated with Windows that one day, rather than throw my PC off a bridge I did the sensible thing and bought a Mac- I was lucky and got the last 17" iMac before the new generation came and got a great deal on it. Best computer ever, and a god price.

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »

I have been PC sinc I can remember, And I hate it, Everyday I have problems with it, I am now saving for a Mac and a PS3, will use the PS3 to buia media center and use the MAc for 3d graphics and animation.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »

I'm in the graphics industry so I own a Mac and I work on Macs. I've had an Apple computer ever since the Apple IIc. I've tried to use a PC a few times but nothing seems logical even though they have been trying to emulate the Mac OS for years... I just get frustrated.
I need the new G5 though... wouldn't mind a MacBook Pro as well... but I think I'll get the iPod touch first.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

FortTrooper

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »

Similarly to Hellboy I own a Mac and I work on PCs, but all my home computers have always been Apple or Mac. I've had an Apple computer ever since the Apple IIc. I'm forced to use a PC at work. I hate it. It's too slow. Word doesn't make sense to me. I can do a whole lot more on my Mac I just get frustrated and end up calling IT.
I have a MacBook Pro and several other Macs.

If Kevin Smith can produce a figure that says Pillowpants 4 Life then I want a tall white guy one that looks like me that says Macing it. Or I'll use a Mac always. Or my favourite death before I give up my Mac for a PC.

FT
Wants:
- One Kelloggs Clone helmet
- one more Jango toy blaster or Jango holster and blasters set

MCQUARRIES
-McQuarrie Chewie (U.S card)
-Snowtrooper (U.S card)

MASTER REPLICAS

FX Sabres
-Yoda
-Mace Windu

Cobalt60

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
  • may the LAG be with you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »

every ad on the mac site pimps the software;  every reason to buy a mac - rooted in software.

I went there to finally (willingly) expose myself to the diatribe because I was finally (willingly) ready to consider a mac. I was treated to a hard-sell campaign trying desperately to convince me of all the wonderful "software" that Mac comes loaded with. and yes, I must admit, thats some pretty nifty software.. but.. most of it I would never buy anyways.  most of it I have no use for.  and I wasn't actually in the market for software, I was actually in the market for new hardware.

when you check out the hardware configurations you realize very quickly that even their imac desktop units are using mobile chipset motherboards with integrated intel graphics, same motherbords you'd find on a $499 HP laptop at futureshop.. except.. its not a laptop its chained to your desk.  on the larger tower models they have three (count them "3") different choices for graphics cards : one integrated intel chip, one mid-range ATi chip, and one previously high-end nVidia chip from the last product cycle 12 months ago. so basically, all I saw in the hardware end of it was "laptop" motherboards installed in desktop units.. and $120 graphics cards left over from the previous nVidia product line being passed of as "current" and "top of the line" when newer/better products are already released for PC.

((I can't handle it when the computer-store down the street sells in-house PC's with "last year's" nVidia's chips to save costs. why should I suffer the same practice from steve jobs?))

--> Mac customers are forced to compromise on hardware choices because they are sold on the software of the thing. which is fine, for software geeks.  I guess.  but as a Hardware Geek, I simply can't bring myself to buy a computer whose only strengths lie in SOFTWARE INNOVATIONS.   thats all a Mac is, really. just a collection of innovative software.  to the point where Mac customers find themselves becoming "software geeks", by sheer force of gravity.  ((they recite the doctrine of 'garge band' even when they don't play an instrument and, left to their own devices,  would never have bought recording software in the first place because they have no use for it (etc.));  they tell you all the wonderful things a mac can "DO", without realizing, that what a computer can or cannot "DO" is a function of hardware.  as per: hardware alone determines if you'll be able to play the latest 3D games on the PC, for example; but on the mac.. well.. they don't even GO there LOL. they know a Mac won't play current game software on last year's hardware LOL. they encourage you to buy a console, and toe the line that, "thas not what computers are for"  :~/~:

if I had my choice, in a perfect world, I would build my own computer with the hardware of my choice and then load the mac OS on it and call it a PC Mac. but that would destroy the public's perception of the "exclusive" nature of steve's product ((and it would put apple OUT of the hardware business completely, which they shouldn't be IN anyways, making such poor choices for us with respect to the hardware that goes into our softwareboxes)). 

in the end, speaking of it as a "PRODUCT", I would conclude the Mac is a wonderful collection of software that flows seamlessly within itself to create an innovative computing experience.  its very good software.  BUT THAT DOESN"T EXPLAIN WHY APPLE SELLS HARDWARE.  (heh). you ask me, they shouldn't be in the business of selling hardware AT ALL, when their ONLY product is a software package that is exclusive of the hardware it resides on, and the only hardware they offer is the lowest common denominator of PC parts. 

its almost like ...  you buy the software, and the hardware they give you to run it on is thrown in for free 4x the market value  :speechless-smiley-004:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 03:40:02 AM by Cobalt60 »

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »

Cobalt, you are exactly right for the most part. The only difference that should exist between a Mac and a PC is the OS. Yeah, there might be a tweak or two in the configuration of the processors and whatnot but parts is parts.

I guess the only real explanation is marketing and demand... much like automobiles. Every car is basically the same but if you slap a Ferrari logo on it instead of a Kia logo you end up paying a lot more than the sum of the parts.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170114
  • Total Topics: 14396
  • Online Today: 79
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 62
Total: 62

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 40 queries.