Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 03:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

63 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wi-fi question  (Read 1335 times)

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
wi-fi question
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:06:55 PM »

my wife just got a new AMD Turion 64 duel proccesor laptop from work to use at home, it has wi-fi built in, I did a search and was able to find a wi-fi connection, we logged on and were able to access the internet, is it legal to do this, I have never done this before, We are not sure if we are connectin to the local school (which if we are thats cool because thats where my wife works), or we could be connecting with a neighbour 3 doors down who is a friend of the family's or we could be connecting with the internet cafe. I have never done this before so like I have said is this legal to do, will it slow down the other persons connection?.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT,THANKS..
Familyman,, aka Jamie.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

Mick

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: wi-fi question
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:41:04 PM »

not sure about the legality in doing this.  i've done it before to check email small stuff like that.  there could be some clues as to where it is coming from if the router is setup.  during setup of a router it should as to change the SSID that is the name of the Router wifi.  You can change to anything.  now if it's linksys, d-link or some other router manufacturer then it's just setup out of the box.  Which that probably what they have done.  since one of the other steps in setting up a router is to setup some kind of secruity.  either wpa or wep.  basically a password to log on to the wireless signal.   the SSID will be listed at network name or something similar.  depending on signal strength I doubt that it would be you fried three doors down.  could be another neighbor as well.  as for slowing down there internet depends on if you are doing alot of downloading.  if you are sending emails and doing some surfing they probably never notice a big slow down.
there is only one return ok and aint of the king it's of the Jedi

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:45:34 AM »

People who own routers decide what level of security to give it- to password enable it or not. I don't with mine, but I live in a fairly nice neighborhood and there aren't a lot of people loitering in the streets using it. But if my neighbour's goes down (and if mine goes down I can use theirs so it works both ways I guess) then they can still have access. So if you can use it I think you can assume it's okay. But I agree with Mick- not cool to hog the bandwidth by downloading movies and stuff.

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »

Thnks for the info, I use myktop for downloading stuff, I was just thinking that it would be handy for my wife to be able to log on and send emails to her boss.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170159
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 37 queries.