Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 02:16:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

69 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sarlacc Pit "Ultimate" Battle Pack  (Read 1224 times)

DroidWorld

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • My joints are frozen up!
    • View Profile
Sarlacc Pit "Ultimate" Battle Pack
« on: December 02, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »

Has anyone seen the Sarlacc Pit "Ultimate" Battle Pack?   :sign0065:  It is AWFUL!  The Sarlacc is ok, if a bit small in scale, but the figures have the worst paint work I've seen on a Star Wars figure since 1978.  (Even the vintage figures, at least had standards!)  They make the shoddy work on the Indiana Jones figures look like Rembrandt!  Who cares if it does not come to Canada!  (I never thought I would say that!)  Even the skiff's "new" paint scheme looks like crap.  The battle damage is blobs of silver paint....

Look at these images:

http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=103&page=1

I hope this is not the way Hasbro is going to "cut corners"  in the Star Wars figure line.  So far the main lines of figures have decent paint work, but if the figures start looking like this, I think it will turn off most adult collecters.  Paint work that looks like it was painted by a three year old, should only appeal to a three year old.

clonecommander972

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Sarlacc Pit "Ultimate" Battle Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »

good lord, that is horrible!
even i could do better then that! hell, i'm pretty sure most of my customs ARE better then that!
screw that, i just want the skiff, at least that could be salvaged  :kar:

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Not just the president but also a client!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »

I want to see some photos of it in the package before condemning it.  I do think it is cool that a Sarlacc complete with pit has finally been made.
They're COLLECTIBLES.  They don't become TOYS until you take them out of the package.

NO exclusives please - we're Canadian!

DroidWorld

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • My joints are frozen up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:06:18 PM »

I want to see some photos of it in the package before condemning it.  I do think it is cool that a Sarlacc complete with pit has finally been made.

Here is a high resolution pic from SWCollector:

http://www.swcollector.com/photo/legacy_battlepack/sarlacc_181803/181803html/181803cf.html

I suppose if one purchases toys at high pricepoints, to keep in the box, and do not look too closely at them, it would be alright.

Perhaps on Clearance, and below $50 CDN...

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:36:39 PM »

I would consider getting it, I would repaint the figures though.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »

I picked up the last 2 of these in Buffalo-searched every Target to get them.  One for display and one for my son for Christmas.  It is a great set.  Looks amazing.  The other droid pack I had in my hands and it is just boring - and just repacks/repaints.  Now I do not have the ship or of course Sarlacc pit so both those are exciting new additions for me.   The pack looks great when you have it in your hands. 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »

Here is a high resolution pic from SWCollector:

http://www.swcollector.com/photo/legacy_battlepack/sarlacc_181803/181803html/181803cf.html

I suppose if one purchases toys at high pricepoints, to keep in the box, and do not look too closely at them, it would be alright.

Perhaps on Clearance, and below $50 CDN...

Since all regular-priced SW figure et al ARE at comparably high pricepoints and I do keep them in the box, I guess it would be alright.  I don't expect that it's any more likely that we'll find this on clearance than it was with the other Ultimate Battlepacks.  I do agree that several of those figures look like cr*p in the poor-quality GalacticHunter photos.  The skiff looks ok and the Sarlacc is a defenite selling point for me.  I would buy this if I came across it, which I probably won't.  Hasbro does need to up their game as far as pack-in figures go.
They're COLLECTIBLES.  They don't become TOYS until you take them out of the package.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »

I would buy the Homestead before this one and I can't even see the value in the Homestead.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »

What is the Lars Homestead considered to be as far as Battle packs go anyway?  It's too small to be an "Ultimate" yet it is bigger than a regular battle pack. 

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 03:46:57 AM »

It's almost more of a new type of "Cinema Scene" battlepack really.  I suspect that Hasbro was testing the waters with collectors to see if they could get away with a new type of BP which has a pricepoint falling between a regular BP and a UBP.

And of course, key to that:
- a badly desired display piece (part plastic, part flimsy halloween mask :) )
- completely unnecessary badly painted and poorly chosen figures
- high price
- exclusive to one store (with preference given to Target no doubt just to screw with us Canucks  :confused0024:)

I mean just sell us the display piece for $15, add a pack-in figure of some kind if you must to entice the kids/parents and call it Star Wars Deluxe, and I'd buy.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

mistersql

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Ta dah
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:30 AM »

Has anyone seen the Sarlacc Pit "Ultimate" Battle Pack?   :sign0065:  It is AWFUL!  The Sarlacc is ok, if a bit small in scale, but the figures have the worst paint work I've seen on a Star Wars figure since 1978.  (Even the vintage figures, at least had standards!)  They make the shoddy work on the Indiana Jones figures look like Rembrandt!  Who cares if it does not come to Canada!  (I never thought I would say that!)  Even the skiff's "new" paint scheme looks like crap.  The battle damage is blobs of silver paint....

Look at these images:

http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=103&page=1

I hope this is not the way Hasbro is going to "cut corners"  in the Star Wars figure line.  So far the main lines of figures have decent paint work, but if the figures start looking like this, I think it will turn off most adult collecters.  Paint work that looks like it was painted by a three year old, should only appeal to a three year old.
It looks like Han is up to his old tricks wearing mascara again.

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 08:21:36 AM »

...When did HASBRO start bootlegging their own products????BAD BAD BAD.....
Any we thought the INDY FIGS WERE BAD!... :tongue0024:

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:53:37 AM »

It's almost more of a new type of "Cinema Scene" battlepack really.  I suspect that Hasbro was testing the waters with collectors to see if they could get away with a new type of BP which has a pricepoint falling between a regular BP and a UBP.

And of course, key to that:
- a badly desired display piece (part plastic, part flimsy halloween mask :) )
- completely unnecessary badly painted and poorly chosen figures
- high price
- exclusive to one store (with preference given to Target no doubt just to screw with us Canucks  :confused0024:)

I mean just sell us the display piece for $15, add a pack-in figure of some kind if you must to entice the kids/parents and call it Star Wars Deluxe, and I'd buy.

The sarlac set and the lars homestead are very comparable in this regard. In both cases I'd like 1 item in the pack (sarlac and the hut), but they're wildly overpriced if that's all you want out of the sets. So I'll only ever get these if I can get them cheap in a few years, or they get re-relesed in a cheaper format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169079
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 38 queries.