Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 10:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

71 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop Advice  (Read 1207 times)

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Laptop Advice
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »

I'm considering getting a laptop but have limited knowledge when it comes to what brands are reliable when it comes to PC laptops, or whether it's worth the extra money to just go with a MAC?  Does anyone have a laptop that's been good for them, or opposite turned out to be a lemon?

Any advice or suggestions?
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

Grand_Moff_Rob

• (A+ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Rockin' 'da 'Wars' since '77......
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:45:45 AM »

Well, from my experience, you get what you pay for and the top brand may not be the best?? Anyway, here was my experience. We bought a Dell cheapo 'Back to School' special from Staples about 2 years ago. We knew nothing of Vista. Anyway, the Dell came with 512MB of memory which I thought was OK but little did I know, Vista needs at least 1 GB of memory to run, so, I ended up having to cought up another 100 bucks for RAM after a few frustrating weeks of INCREDIBLY bad performance. So, in short, PC Vista needs lots of memory. Most laptops now seem to be coming with at least 3 GB of mem so that might not be an issue. If you are a GAMER, be careful here. Run of the mill laptops aren't that GAME ready. I have a Gateway Laptop with 3 GB of RAM and a ATI Radeon 512 MB graphics card and it is VERY limited what I can play. If you want game performance, ask for it before you buy. We bought a SONY VAIO, which we thought would be the 'bomb'. Well, it turned out to be a bomb all right. The hard-drive crapped out after a year and a half. SONY service is absolutely terrible as well. You get different answers from every employee. It's a paper-weight now. Because my wife's Sony was so bad, the DELL was junk and my Gateway was 'so-so' we are actually considering paying the price and getting a MAC for our next laptop.
I thought it [Star Wars] was too wacky for the general public.

- George Lucas quote...

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice, it's helpful and appreciated. :)`
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

Swamp Trooper

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I ♥ the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »

It depends what kind of thing you'll be doing on your laptop. If you want to work on it, you should be fine with a Macbook or another laptop with: 2-4GB RAM, Dual-Core processor, integrated graphics.
If you just want a really casual laptop to check emails and browse the web, I would go for: a sub-notebook like this: Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, Windows XP.
If you really want to do heavy media programs and gaming, I would go for: Dual/Quadcore processor (2.0GHz+), 2-4GB decent-speed RAM, ATI 2600HD/Nvidia 8600M+ video card.
I hope I helped, message me if you have any questions. :u:
Steam ID: soldatdelair
Xbox Live ID: Ph4nt0m Sn1p3rs
Youtube name: Holidayspecialoo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169095
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 71
Total: 72

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 38 queries.