Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 12:12:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

58 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Trek figures  (Read 4691 times)

99 rules

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
Star Trek figures
« on: June 03, 2009, 09:31:35 AM »

I was at a Walmart in Ottawa and they had reduced the price on the figures for the new Star Trek movie. Both the small and large figures were $5 reduced from $9.95 and $12.95 respectively.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek figures
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »

I hit 3 walMarts in Mississauga today and picked up 8 of the 10 six inch Star Trek figures for $5 each.  Couldn't find either Pike or Uhura...maybe they were shortpacked originally?  I did see Uhura in the 3 3/4 inch scale, but no Pikes.

If anyone can pick me up one of each, either or both Pike or Uhura in the 6 inch scale, in the GTA, or area west of Mississauga I would much appreciate it.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »

Saw them at walmart today. Didn't see pike or uhura 6", OMB. I had a couple in my hands to look at but even at $5, didn't want to buy any. Not a bad deal for the 6". If they had young spock I might have grabbed him, but they didn't. I'd only buy the 3 3/4 for $3 or less and if they had the bridge pieces! But that's just me being picky and cheap! I figured it would happen sooner or later, but I'm amazed at how soon they are clearancing these!

haggisking

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Not just the president but also a client!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:30:32 PM »

I picked up a 6" Scotty at the $5 price. ;)
They're COLLECTIBLES.  They don't become TOYS until you take them out of the package.

NO exclusives please - we're Canadian!

THE Mike™

• Peace out dudes
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Vintage Rules.
    • View Profile
    • BountyHunterToys.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:16:23 PM »

Pike and Uhura didn't get released in Canada.

Also, the bridge parts didn't get included in Canada. Only in the U.S.
Wanna sell me your toys? Contact me!

www.bountyhuntertoys.com
118 Ottawa St. North
Hamilton, ON.

Also on Facebook at www.facebook.com/bhtoys

obi_wan_canuck

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Now I am the Master.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »

Hands up, those of us who are surprised...
Live as though you were to die tomorrow.  Learn as though you were to live forever. - Gandhi

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »

I was able to get the 6" Pike and Uhura from Legends in Montreal.  Not quite $5 but Steve did give me a decent price for the two of them.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »

Saw them at walmart today. Didn't see pike or uhura 6", OMB. I had a couple in my hands to look at but even at $5, didn't want to buy any. Not a bad deal for the 6". If they had young spock I might have grabbed him, but they didn't. I'd only buy the 3 3/4 for $3 or less and if they had the bridge pieces! But that's just me being picky and cheap! I figured it would happen sooner or later, but I'm amazed at how soon they are clearancing these!

I just wanted to echo Cujo's perspective about the Trek figures.  I got a chance to pick up a few of these (reluctantly, given my worries the figures would easily fall apart - they simply LOOK fragile, even carded).  Without the bridge accessories, $5 feels like what should be the regular price and $3 the sale price -- with bridge accessories though I'd likely have paid $8 for them.   Playset pieces have a tremendous value-add for me (and I can reuse them for my SW dioramas too).

Since Playmates is the maker of these, I was actually expecting the figures to be super-stiff brittle like the Terminator figures. I bought a T-700 a while ago and was concerned at how stiff its legs were (I used a hair dryer to soften the plastic first before forcing the legs to bend, just in case it would break off otherwise). Instead, the Trek figures have the exact opposite problem - the articulation is pretty good but all of the joints are loose.  You get the feeling you've bought a toy that's already been played with for months, where the joints are still somewhat stiff enough that you can pose them, but that if you give it to a kid to play with, the arms and legs will be floppy in no time.

My Spock's left leg is already floppy, which makes it a bit tougher to get him to stand without the leg giving out and toppling the figure. McCoy's right leg got warped by the packaging and he leans over.

Some positive notes however:
- most of the face sculpts are dead-on... Spock, old Spock, Uhura, McCoy, Nero, Sulu, Chekov... all great.  I noticed that Pike isn't so hot (from the packaging) nor is, oddly enough, Kirk.  That's still a better track record than Hasbro in terms of facial likeness!
- the rubber utility belts are nice as they grip easily to the figures and they hold the phasers way better than Hasbro's plastic holsters.  Although I have no idea how you're supposed to fit Uhura's utility belt on however - you can't stretch the belt enough to get it up past her skirt.
- the paint apps are also pretty decent, no cross-eyes, hairlines seem to be sometimes hit or miss but not drastically.
- ball jointed shoulders and elbows on all but Uhura (her arms are too anorexic to allow it), no cheap angle-cut elbows :)

So I'd grab these while they're on sale/clearance only if you're as big a Trek fan as you are SW... otherwise, I'd wait until a future iteration when Playmates has caught up to Hasbro and mastered the process of making higher quality figures at the 3.75" scale.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »

...JUST WAIT...WALFART will blow these poor pieces of plastic outt before ya know it!...
And I really hope if PLAYMATES does catch up to HASBLOW that their plaSTIC CONTENT will be superior to what is being used now!!!..
LaTELY, I have noticed that a few of my CLONE FIGS are falling from their display stands...poor plastic...heck in a few years these will be blobs of broken down plastic... :P

...PLAYMATES did a GREAT job of the TREK figures back in the day ...now ...CRAP!! :~/~:

:fett:

cheesebacca

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 09:54:53 PM »

I beleive that walmart is clearing these out because the next wave will have the bridge parts, along with some bonus packs with bridge parts from the first wave that we never got!!
Downtown Toronto, ON

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 04:34:12 PM »

I noticed today that WalMart has further reduced their price on all the Star Trek figures to $3 from the previous $5 sale.  Most of the 6" figures are gone, but they still have complete sets of the 3 3/4 inch figures.

TRU has plenty of the Star Trek Command Bridge playsets, but they are still at their regular price of $39.

clonecommander972

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:08 PM »

yeah, for 3$ these will be great custom fodder, and the head sculpts are great!
also, does anyone else think they slightly over did uhura's *ahem* chest, or is it just that they're better at sculpting those kinda things then hasbro is?  :P

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »

My nephew found 6" US carded figs at the Mississauga Giant Tiger for $2 including Pike and Cadet Uhura. No Spocks (either one), Kirks or Sulus
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

General Yoda

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Disa Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »

Found the 6" US carded Trek movie figs at my local GT FINALLY .. they were $4.97 each there and the case they had only had 1 Pike, and a few each of Cadet Uhura, Nero, and Cadet McCoy. Basically this sounds like that case assortment that Playmates promised me would come out after the movie (I contacted them about the lack of Pike and Cadet Uhura being released and they told me that they'd be in a future assortment) And since all the stores that carried the Trek figures were stuck with the initial releases of the figures for months until clearance (or in the case of my local TRU, STILL stuck with the 3 3/4" ones even at $1.98 each), I'm not surprised no retail store ordered these cases  :tongue0024: ..  Thank goodness for Giant Tiger .. these figures do suck though compared to the old 5" Trek figs from the 90s.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 03:58:38 PM by General Yoda »

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »

Saw some six inch movie trek figures at Dollarama!! They were $2 each. Even at $2 I passed. Was tempted by old spock, but what am I gonna do with a random old spock? But wow, $2 at dollarama 2 years later!! The movie was really good, but the toys sure did flop!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169079
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 37 queries.