Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2018, 08:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

21 Guests, 4 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The future of Snowtroopers.ca  (Read 4478 times)

Koda

• <A+++ Trader> Snowtroopers.ca Website
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • Welcome to Snowtroopers.ca, proudly Canadian eh!
    • View Profile
    • snowtroopers.ca
The future of Snowtroopers.ca
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »

You may have noticed continuing problems with the forums over the last year or so and although updating to the latest version (smf) didn't seem to fix things. Basically there a couple of problems, the server seems to slow down and the forum layout was made for an older version of smf.

To rectify these problems I am considering moving the site to a new server (hosting company) and try to design a new updated forum theme.

My question to you all, is it worth it, things have slowed down, people have left for various reasons so things are not as busy and intersting as they once were (makes the mods life easier). I don't mind putting in the effort if people are still going to use the site, but if it is going to die a slow death because of lack of interest I would rather not waste the time and money.

Although I don't post as much as I once did , I still come around every day, my main priority was to keep the site up and running.
My kids are older now and I am expected to spend time with them  :(, I am self employed, I have a dog, a few guitars and keyboards that want attention, and there is always fishing, oh and I have a wife. I don't have the free time I use to have, but I still make an effort to try to keep the place up and running although it might seem to be a losing battle a times.

I will hopefull be getting some help from Chris at Jedidefender and relocate  our site to the server they are hosted on.

Also if anyone is interested in being a mod or help trying to keep things interesting by posting on the main news page send me a pm.

Any suggestions or input is welcome

Cheers

Kevin

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The future of Snowtroopers.ca
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:55:13 PM »

WOW....times are a changin...I totally agree...MANY THINGS have changed over the year's...it really sucks that some things CAN NOT REMAIN THE SAME FOREVER!!!

I too come to the site on a regular basis...it's F-U-N...and very informative 4  me and hopefully other's...
being a MOD  ..is alot of work...I TRULY APPRECIATE all the work many put in...
 It's also sad that MANY OF THE CANUCK'S on the site DO NOT SUPPORT it more on a regular basis...I'd say you know who you are ...but they are not around enough to read even this small blurb!
 I still think the site is top notch and I will support ANY CANADIAN MADE OVER any US (WE 'RE NUMERO UNO CRAP -OLA SITE)ANY DAY ...ANYTIME ...

PLEASE PLEASE KEEP IT GOIN' for all ...even the rest of the WORLD!!

FETT1...OUTT!!! :fett:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:56:12 AM »

I'd be extremely disappointed if snowtroopers were ever to disappear - other sites simply don't attract as many Canadian collectors as we do here, even if they aren't always on regularly.  We're small compared to the US SW sites, but it's a good place to gather and see what's happening all across the country at different retail chains and to report back findings.  As well, I'd rather do any trading/buying/selling with my fellow Canucks than with US collectors (simply due to border shipping hassles and the currency fluctuations) and this site makes that very convenient and easy to carry out. Life as a SW collector would certainly be a lot tougher without this forum.

I think the main page has suffered mainly because we all go straight to the forum anyway and there's not much in the way of scoops worth posting here - we don't get the 411 or Swami-type insider stuff like the US guys do... if we just dropped the main page, I doubt many would miss it or care.

I'd also blame part of the slowdown in attendance due to the slowness of SW product (the summer months especially are dull, given that Hasbro is typically focusing on other toy lines like Transformers, while SW stuff is non-existent until the late fall).

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Technicolour Yak

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:21:42 AM »

i agree that with so little going on in Canada that's worth announcing, the main page has suffered.  i do check the site regularly and tend to just go to the forums.  Because Hasbro really doesn't seem to care all that much about Canadian collectors, very rarely is there any news of anything new.  i'm sure they have reasons they don't care, maybe not.

However, when there is something new i am pleased to read about it and am hopefully able to locate said collectibles before they are all gone and never seen again in Canada.  :)

i do enjoy making snowtroopers.ca one of my daily rounds while surfing the net and would miss it if it were gone.  It's here first to see what's new, then off to Rebelscum to see what's out that we may or may not be receiving months down the line.  ;)

Just my two cents, i kind of like this look for the forums.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:24:43 AM by Technicolour Yak »

Obi-Roy Kenobi

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:03 AM »

It has been a hard year to be a SW collector with the LONG wait time in between waves. I believe an effect of virtually no new product is decreased activity on this site. I still visit this site daily even though I may not post on every subject I do read most of them. I do enjoy the provincial forums as it lets me know when new figures are hitting my local stores and the product reviews are usually top notch. It would be a shame if this site would cease to exist.
Collect the Sith, We must!!

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »

I love Snowtroopers.ca. I really enjoy talking about a passion of mine with fellow Canadians who share the same passion. And to be honest, it really sucks to be a Star Wars collector in Canada. I too have noticed the slow decline of the amount of posts in the forum since I signed up here (1 year ago) And it is a sad thing. But people's lives change I guess. It really is hard to keep interest in collecting something, when there is hardly anthing to collect in your area. I myself am Married, I have a 2 1/2 year old son and another family addition on the way. Some days it is impossible to find the time to check the board. I enjoy the time I am investing into this site. I enjoy discussing Star Wars with fellow Star Wars fans. I live 30 minutes outside of Edmonton, so I am not always at TRU on a regular basis, the Provincial Forums really help me out. Letting me know if a trip into the city is really worth my time. I guess all I am saying is, that I would really miss Snowtroopers if it were to vanish. I do appreciate all of the time and effort the Mods have put into this site for us Canadian collectors to use. Oh, and also I never really check the front page either. A lot of news and updates are usually posted in the forum.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:08:52 PM by Mit_Othy »
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:57:28 AM »

not much more I can add...snowtroopers is my favourite sw site and I have met many great people who share my passion because of it. one thought...maybe set up an account (paypal?) where members can contribute some $$ to keep the site going.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:51:33 AM »

I'd love to contribute a lot more to the photo archives and reviews but I can relate to Koda with just not having the time to do it regularly. Wife, kids, work and home upkeep... my play time isn't usually until after midnight.

I am here every day because I love this site. Canadian collectors are the best! As for the decline, well it's been a tougher economy and Hasbro has been more miss than hit with their product distribution over the past year so it's hard to talk about things when there is nothing to really report.

I'll give it a shot to help with the news updates as best I can. Maybe a photo of the day? I dunno... but I really want to help keep this site interesting because there really isn't a better source for collecting Star Wars than here at Snowtroopers.ca
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

richd

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I ain't no stinkin' llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »

I too go straight to the forums but I visit the site almost every day. I like the Canadian culture aspect of snowtroopers and I've made many deals on the Buy/Sell/Trade forums with not one issue (unlike eBay).

I would be very disappointed if Snowtroopers.ca was discontinued.

Rich D.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »

I've been a member here (by one name or another) for almost 5 years.  This is my homepage.  I visit it 2-3 times a day and while I don't always post, I certainly have a look around to see what's new, what's happening in other parts of the country, or what's on the mind of other troopers.  I have started and maintained several friendships over that time where I can see a face I know either at a show, for a swap, or just at the mall and stop for a quick "how's it going" that wouldn't have happened it weren't for this site.  

Things for collector's have sucked over the past year for various reasons, and I think the cumulative effect of poor product distribution and too many exclusives (Hasbro Canada), high priced items (Kotos and the like) during a recession followed by a dismal summer where people were more apt to spend the sunny days we got outside rather than in at their computer, or out shopping has contributed to the overall slow down of things going on here.

If Koda you decide enough is enough, I don't think you'd hear anyone complain and everyone would understand.  But it would suck. I'd be more than willing to do what I can to help out.  (I only just got my 5 stars!!!!).

Cheers FF.

P.S. It's seems somewhat ironic that this is my 1,000 post!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:32:47 PM by fishfan »

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »

I visit this site several times a day, and would really miss it if it were discontinued.  Try to hang in there!!!

winbrant

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »

I just wanted to weigh in and mention that I too visit this site at least one per day, if not more.

While the news has been slow it is still great to have this forum my which to see what's happening in the rest of Canada, seeing as distribution up here is markedly different than it is south of the border.

Despite this slow down I have been impressed by how much the forums have been kept up and this is a kudos to the MODs and their committment. I have been on other forums which have gotten so messed up that they are unusable in time.

I think part of the wariness about posting  finds might stem from the fact that some non-fans might be using this site as a "heads-up" to what's out there, and thereby compromising the ability for us fans to find it...doesn't help that retailers are also cutting back on stocking shelves...so when there's only one-of in a case, well that means there's only 1 or 2 on the shelf. That Wal*Mart Anniversary sale...I think I only saw one new Clone Wars figure (Cad Bane) and that bin only had a handful of Legacy figs left.

Thank you for providing a forum in which we can "voice" our findings/opinions/stories/collections/announcements...

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 11:54:33 PM »

I still feel like a newbie here a bit but I have been very happy with my time here, and would be sad to see it go. Change doesn;t bother me at least asd far as websites go so the look is fine by me however it appears. One thing though, maybe make it so only posts that were updated today would be highlighted like in the old version, as right now it is hard to tell what forums have new posts in it. And maybe have the Most Recent Posts footer, that was really handy.
Thanks for all you do!

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »

Well, I can pretty much echo the sentiments of everyone else here. I'd really hate to see it go. I've made some friends here and enjoy hearing what fellow Canadian collectors have to say. Also, it continues to be an incredible and invaluable resource to us Canadian collectors. I would seriously be hampered in my continued collecting if the site were to go away. Even though my collecting is a lot more limited due to budget and time (being in school full-time and having a 5 month old daughter will do that), I still visit the site daily.

Also, part of the reason I like it here is it's not as big as the rebelscums of the web and has a real sense of community. I can go a little while without posting and not feel lost and forgotten in the sea of other posts/posters. While there needs to be a minimum amount of activity to make a board viable, I still think there is a very healthy community here. I've been here since forever, and I really hope the site continues for a long, long time.

freakx2001

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Collector of Many
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 11:51:08 AM »

Hey.. you so have to keep this site going. The provincial forums alone are worth it. Its so nice being able to connect with local collectors.

The main page could use a little work, but I'm sure someone can figure out something to post up there every week or so. Maybe new sightings about what is hitting retail, web offers, or even sales like when Walmart / Toys R Us have deals on.

This site has to stay alive!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170177
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 21
Total: 25

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 38 queries.