Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 12:19:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

54 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Historical Diorama Contest Entries - Come see the Hall of Fame!  (Read 54800 times)

Grand_Moff_Rob

• (A+ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Rockin' 'da 'Wars' since '77......
    • View Profile
Re: my mini-dio shelf contest entry
« Reply #255 on: December 31, 2010, 11:23:27 PM »

Awesome, I love the Snowtrooper nod in the 'family room' scene!! Man, I wish I would have done that. That should be a 'condition' for next years' contest: stick a Snowtrooper in a Bizarre out-of-place scene...love it!
I thought it [Star Wars] was too wacky for the general public.

- George Lucas quote...

clonecommander972

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 01, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »

Awesome, I love the Snowtrooper nod in the 'family room' scene!! Man, I wish I would have done that. That should be a 'condition' for next years' contest: stick a Snowtrooper in a Bizarre out-of-place scene...love it!
hahaha, it's funny, i only put the snowtrooper in because my stormtroopers wouldn't sit on the couch because of their holsters  :tongue0024:

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 01, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »

Great job.

The light switch beside the couch, is that so when the drunks get too drunk, flip the switch, and they fall into the pit with the Rancor?

clonecommander972

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 01, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »

Great job.

The light switch beside the couch, is that so when the drunks get too drunk, flip the switch, and they fall into the pit with the Rancor?
no, someone hits the switch and they fall into the next panel down. where do you think the clones are trying to get to? :winking0071:
but honestly, i messed that up. the wall panel was covering up the switch before, but that caused a lot of bruises trying to get out of my room at night. i was in a hurry to get these photos up, and moving the wall would have meant rearranging the entire thing!

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
How it was made
« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »

A few of you have asked to see how my diorama came together.  Here are a few pictures that I took in the early stages.
When I first started out, I wanted to use an existing shelf in my Star Wars room.  It was 60" wide, 22" deep and 18" high which I thought might be just right for what I had in mind.  Before I wasted any expensive building materials I mocked up the main features of the cantina in light weight cardboard.  This gave me a chance to see what I could fit in, what the arches on the cubicles might look like, and whether there would be room for some exterior scene.  I used bits of wood and plastic containers to simulate the bar and the tables, and placed some of the action figures in the set, taking a few pictures to get an idea of final "scenes".  Once I was happy with it, I started to use the cardboard pieces as templates, and using foam-core board, cut the pieces for the exterior and interior walls.  I partly assembled them to make sure they all fit, then took them out to the garage for spray painting.  I thought that one or two cans of textured spray paint would do the job, but they didn't go very far and I ended up using 6 of them at $11 a piece!

Before I attached the roof, I worked in a string of Christmas mini-lites to illuminate the bar and all the little rooms.
The benches in each room were coverd with polar fleece to give them a plush look.  I photocopied the flooring from the cardboard cantina set, and glued several pieces together to cover the entire interior floor, giving it a tiled look.  It was then time to do the final assembly.  I searched through all my old plastic model kits to come up with some detail pieces, which I painted and attached in various spots thoughout the diorama.

The bar was still a mystery to me - how was I going to simulate all the bottles and plumbing.  I tried pieces from an old chemistry set, painted bits of wood, etc...then I lucked out on e-bay and found one that someone had already constructed..  It was a perfect fit.

A final placing of some 50 figures in the rooms and I was ready to photograph it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:34:46 PM by old man ben »

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
Re: How it was made
« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »

Here's a few more pictures after the paint was sprayed on.  The roof started to curl so I had to weigh it down with tin cans.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »

And the last couple of pictures with the lights installed and the floor glued down.  Preliminary work on the exterior as well.

Obi-Roy Kenobi

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »

Nice behind the scenes photos of a great diorama!

Good job!  :)`
Collect the Sith, We must!!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »

Great job there, I was really impressed with your work on this one. I would hope you could resubmit this for the next contest...
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

clonecommander972

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »

this is probably a stupid question, but how do you cut the foamcore so smoothly?
whenever i try and cut it for diorama's, i always end up with  really rough, jaged edges with foam coming out, weather i'm cutting it by hand, with a dremel tool, or saw :/

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »

I used a steel ruler and a new exacto razor knife for all the straight cuts.  For the curved cuts, just the knife used in a sawing motion.  The blade has to be really sharp (new if possible).  I still got a few rough edges here and there.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile

Now that the contest is over I can add several more pictures to reveal some of the details in my project.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:33:59 AM by old man ben »

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile

A few more:

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile

and more

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile

and finally
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169107
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 54
Total: 56

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.