Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 12:14:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

51 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Historical Diorama Contest Entries - Come see the Hall of Fame!  (Read 54798 times)

Obi-Roy Kenobi

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Homie Bear's Diorama
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2009, 08:33:39 AM »

Cool diorama HomieBear!

That story sounds kinda neat. Is it actually an EU story or did you create it just for the diorama? (Sorry, if it is a silly question but I don't read any EU!)

Good work! :)`
Collect the Sith, We must!!

Obi-Roy Kenobi

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Obi-Roy Kenobi's Diorama Entry
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »

Thanks for all the great comments guys! It really was a lot of fun to build. Another issue I had was deciding what 3 pics to use. There are lots of details (like all the wiring and 2 command consoles) on the floor that you really can't see in my chosen photos. Win or lose, after the contest maybe I will post more pics so you all can see!

DarthMcAdam: PM me and I will be happy to get you a parts list! Believe it or not, most of the parts I got from my local Walmart and Dollarama!  :)`

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »

Thanks!
I just made up the story- which is why I can't say the female Mando's name- I don't know it!

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »

Thats an awesome diorama Homie Bear. I really like the back story too. When I read it at first I thought it was an actual story. very cool.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

Grand_Moff_Rob

• (A+ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Rockin' 'da 'Wars' since '77......
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »

Great use of props and the development of a story was a nice touch!!  :)`
“I thought it [Star Wars] was too wacky for the general public.”

- George Lucas quote...

stormtripper

• <A+++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
stormtrippers diorama
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »

I like Imperials and wanted to make a diorama to showcase them, I will be adding to this but I thought that it was nearly complete.
I built it using wood, toggle bolts with joiner nuts, foamcore and backgrounds downloaded from the net, stick glue and krylon paint. I want to make a couple bases for my kids and this was a nice start to one.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:32:44 PM by stormtripper »
Forum Feedback Link

North Vancouver, Hollywood North....
MTMFnFBWY

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Sinkie's Official Diorama Contest Entry
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »

This diorama is something I've wanted to make for a long time. And thanks to this contest I've finally been pushed into getting it done and had a lot of fun doing it!!! I did have a lot of trouble photographing it though. I couldn't get an angle on it that I liked and that 3 photo limit! Wow! Hard to choose! Now for the blah blah blah preamble because what I tried to do is a little "involved"  :o.

This diorama was basically a partial antidote to the disappointment I felt over the prequels, though it does take inspiration from some of its details, as well as EU sources, and my own childhood (and up until today) musings over what might have happened in the past before the events of the Original Trilogy.

Here is my “diorama scroll” and after the photos I have included a rough and dirty outline of some of what I came up with to support the story I was attempting to set up with this diorama and the alternate prequels I imagined for it. Quickly though, the titles I came up with for Episode I, II and III are as follows, because it might help see what I was trying to do here!
Episode I: Rise of an Empire
Episode II: The Clone Wars
Episode III: Fall of the Republic

DIORAMA:
“ASSAULT ON SECRET CLONING FACILITY IN SITH RUINS OF KORRIBAN!”

from Episode I: Rise of an Empire
(describing the scenes unfolding near climax of an alternate prequel film)

Having trained his new found friend Anakin Skywalker in the basic use of lightsaber combat and the Force, Jedi General Obi Wan Kenobi leads a strike force of Republic soldiers to the planet Korriban in order to stop the self-proclaimed Emperor Palpatine from carrying out a secret plan to create a clone army of Dark Jedi.

The pair, along with the brave and strategically-minded Senator's daughter, who uncovered the fiendish Emperor's plot that lead them here, prepare to storm the ancient Sith temple and destroy the technological means the Emperor has discovered there!

Their only obstacle: the Sith Legions, strong in the Dark Side of the Force, led by the feared and despised Lord Darth Vader, cloaked, as are his men, in the traditional and fearsome battle armor of their sect! As the battle rages, Anakin and Kenobi manage to sneak into the temple only to find themselves face to face with Darth Vader himself and an honor guard of his best warriors protecting the Emperor who is only moments away from completely his plans!

DETAILS OF THE DIORAMA:

Assumptions I made for the story: Anakin was older when found by Kenobi. The Emperor had already declared himself openly as such. Darth Vader was a Sith Lord before Anakin came on the scene (Anakin will eventually assume his mantle and armor). The Clones are created by the Emperor to battle the Republic and now he wishes to create Force-using clones.

Construction: Paper mache for the canyon/Sith statues etc, foam board, foam "insulation" for the temple walls, covered with drywall compound. Paint of course! Beater vintage Death Star Space Station playset.

Figures: I used McQuarrie Starkiller (female) for Anakin's love interest and Anakin himself is portrayed as the McQuarrie Luke Skywalker, battling the “first” Darth Vader on top of the Sith temple in the interior shot. I thought it would be fun too if a younger Bail Organa was there as a commander leading Republic forces, so he's on the ridge with the female Starkiller and the two droids.

I thought it would be cool too if Rebel Honor Guards from ANH were actually wearing the uniforms of a branch of Republic military so I used them as the “grunts” the Jedi accompany on the temple assault. Ki Adi Mundi (concept version) also makes it into this alternate prequel (he has taken out one of the Sith Lords already!), as does the Dark Woman. And there are a pair of droids, a CZ droid and an R-unit too, helping out our heroes.

Vader's Sith legions are made up of McQuarrie Vaders with alternating helmets, what I imagined would be Sith battle armour and saw no reason why it wouldn't have been worn by all Sith, making it significant why Anakin would end up wearing it when he becomes Vader (and the name Vader is a passing of the mantle...). They employ IG battle droids to help them with their dirty work. I wanted to include even more McQuarrie Vaders but space constraints wouldn't permit!

Inside the temple, I used a beater vintage Death Star Space Station for the “guts” of it, and included “Brainiac” (aka Pons Limbic) Sith scientists helping the Emperor wield Sith magics to create super powerful clones saturated with the dark side of the Force!

Though harder to see in any of these photos, I found that Kenobi looked supercool using Rahm Kota's body and the ROTS Kenobi head. Looks even more warrior like than the Legacy non-animated CW Kenobi general did to me! He's battling an Emperor's guard (a Force Unleashed black TAC one) off to the left inside the temple.

I'll include, as a separate post, the rough and dirty outline of the gist of my idea for this alternate prequel in case anyone is interested. Thanks for reading and looking!

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Sinkie's Official Diorama Contest Entry
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2009, 12:21:26 AM »

Gosh! I think I didn't upload those photos in the best way possible! Sorry! Hope they can be viewed at a larger size than they show up as in the post!

Anyway, for anyone wanting to know what I came up with for a skeleton story for an alternate prequels and to make this all as clear as mud, here's a long winded attempt at a summary of my alternate prequel story. Most of it comes from EU and playground theories when we were kids, refined by my adult sensibilities and details that the actual PT gave me:

Ep I -  Rise of an Empire

The Republic is threatened by systems pledging loyalty to the self-proclaimed Emperor Palpatine who has begun gathering armies around him in order to challenge the long held democratic rule of the Republic. The scattered Jedi find themselves called to unite and help lead Republic forces against the growing onslaught and treachery of the malicious Imperialists in the middle and outer rim territories. General Obi Wan Kenobi has been charged with coming to the aid of a system whose currently elected government claim to have obtained secret plans  and proof that the burgeoning Empire is attempting to create an unstoppable army.! Kenobi comes under attack on his way to their planet and can't get there the way he'd planned. He improvises and meets Anakin Skywalker, a navigator on a freighter that has heard his distress signal. He senses Anakin is very strong in the Force and convinces him, though Anakin is reluctant at first, to go together tto rescue the daughter of said politician who has the secret plans. Once she is rescued they discover the Emperor is on the ancient Sith world of Korriban trying to create unstoppable armies of Sith warrior clones! On Korriban they face off against Darth Vader, a Sith Lord and his henchmen, his Sith legions in full Sith battle armour! They are aided by the rescued daughter, other Jedi and Republic forces. They engage the Sith Lords and the IG battle droids while Anakin and Kenobi enter the modified Sith temple and stop the Emperor. Anakin faces off against “Darth Vader” but he escapes narrowly, impressed with Anakin's new found abilities. They thwart this attempt and destroy the means for it to be undertaken again but the Emperor has other methods at his disposal.

Ep II The Clone Wars

Having put a dent in the Empires dreams of having an army of almost unstoppable dark Jedi to compliment the armadas and legions of Sith Lords, Mandalorian warriors, IG series war droids etc, and now cloned armies of hardy warrior species, the Jedi and Republic attempt to wage a winning war against the growing might of the Empire.  The Emperor and his inner circle have managed to keep their forces growing at a rate that rivals the ability of the Republic and the Jedi to counter it. Now partially trained in the Force and lightsaber technics, Anakin Skywalker is a general and Jedi Knight himself, and leads various battilions through battles on many worlds, mostly on the harder to reach, impoverished and sometimes regrettably neglected (because less strategically important rim worlds). He is growing frustrated with the Republic's inability to effectively wage this war and win, and grows cynical over the "quality" of life and people's he risks everything and many people to save. He starts to yearn for more stability, more say, more power and he is tempted to seek out alternatives that are dangled in front of him by the a shadowy figure and Anakin starts to use methods that are very questionable to subdue populations and win battles. Anakin begins to act out of fear and anger and jealousy. He has one particular mission that "does him in", a massive failure in which he blames everyone and everything around him. He becomes feared by his troops etc. Respected out of fear. A battle for Coruscant ensues and many Jedi and armies are called in to defend. Anakin's tactics get brought out into the open here as he viciously battles and executes prisoners to make others talk. Kenobi arrives to try to get the situation under control and Anakin takes it as an attempt to undermine him, he turns on Kenobi and his wife, the rescued daughter from Episode I, for siding with him and disappears, ends up on back on Korriban at the end of the mission, chases a ship that fires on him or that he spots leaving the battle and follows it. Once there he meets the Emperor who tempts him to give in to the power of the dark side and bring an end to the war and rule the galaxy at his side!

Ep III Fall of the Republic

A few years have passed since Anakin disappeared. There are rumors that he is operating independently and possibly for the interests of the Empire, surgical strikes, vicious, ruthless, leaving the people shaken and defeated. Quite suddenly, Anakin returns. When Kenobi discovers Anakin's dabbling in the dark side he and Anakin's wife, try to intervene, but it is already mostly too late and Anakin resents their interference, sees them as colluding against him. Anakin has also developed a personal grudge against the Emperor's lead henchman Darth Vader, a former Jedi who left the order when he and Kenobi had a falling out, a mysterious warrior who wears the traditional Sith battle armor. He and his Sith warriors do battle with Anakin etc but in vanquishing Vader, Anakin has turned fully to the dark side, forcing Kenobi to try to stop him from taking Vader's place. But much of this is left to the end of the third movie. The turning on Vader is a shock to Vader, he did not see it coming. Transformation of  Anakin into Vader into the same person isn't shown onscreen.  In separate, but sequential duels (Anakin versus Vader then Kenobi versus Anakin) hey both share the same fate, falling into a volcano, and it is only later, in a cave, we see A battle damaged "Vader" in a suit of armor crawling away, a body lies behind him, burned. Though the audience won't know it, Anakin has survived and pulled the battle armor off the dead Vader in order to sustain his life and crawl away. The idea that the Emperor convinces Anakin/Vader that any offspring would be a threat could have only come up post ANH when they discovered to their shock and dismay that somehow his wife had had a son (at least). But shortly after he becomes Vader,  he tries to take out Kenobi and  his wife from afar. Anakin was unaware he had children between Episodes 2 and 3, because they are in hiding, Kenobi feared something terrible was happening to Anakin and that the children could become something he might fear or seek to possess if he learned of them. And so he takes Luke but before he can find a suitable place for Leia the planet comes under attack by Vader. He carpet bombs knowing full well his wife and Kenobi are down there. He injures her and with her dying words she begs Kenobi to escape with Leia and hide her somewhere. Believing them both dead Vader turns to root out and destroy the remaining Jedi and forces loyal to the now failed Republic.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: stormtrippers diorama
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2009, 12:24:09 AM »

Cool! Nice use of the Endor bunker! :) Lucky kids! Nice work!

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »

Cool altrernate storyline!

Obi-Roy Kenobi

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2009, 05:43:55 AM »

WOW! That thing looks HUGE!

Where did you download the backgrounds from?

Good work!

Obi-Roy Kenobi

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2009, 05:47:27 AM »

Nice work!

Is that a vintage Death Star playset in the last photo?

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2009, 08:32:51 AM »

Yeah, I'm sad by how the photos turned out because its hard to see how it all fit together. Basically, I created two triangular sections to surround it as the Sith temple and put it in the centre. So what you see at the front view, the centre tower is the vintage station. And behind the walls you get a "cross section" of the temple interior (retrofitted for the Emperor's evil purposes wahhahahaha!) that is the Death Star Space Station. I took off the gun/chair because it didn't really work for the set up. I extended the bridge and put Palps on it shooting his Sith energy at the two suspended clones. Below that, at the computer consoles I put the "Brainiac" Sith Scientists. I also put in some interior lighting using white LED battery powered xmas lights but they don't show up well in the photo either. And at the top, on the "scaffolding" of the playset I have Anakin and the "original" Vader dueling it out!

After the contest, like many have said, I plan to take better (ie close ups etc) and more pictures to try to do it justice because I am pretty happy with how it turned out and its my first true diorama! But don't worry, the vintage playset was a beater, missing a lot of pieces and cracked here an there ;)

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »

Thats a cool diorama Sinkie. I really like the Brainiacs in the basement. And all this back story is such a great idea too.
My Have/Want list:

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2009, 09:30:23 AM »

Thats quite the base stormtripper. Good job. I love the idea of battles on different levels.
My Have/Want list:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169107
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 37 queries.