Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 08:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

61 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 Vintage is back?  (Read 6236 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
2010 Vintage is back?
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »

Well saw this over at RScum first, followed it to Bantha Skull and what appears to be confirmation that TLC may be turning into the vintage line (with vintage-style cardbacks) for 2010. Now THAT would be an even better incentive than BaD for us to collect them all!

http://banthaskull.com/index.php/page/sub/new_dpci
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

CloneCommander1138

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Vintage is back?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »

I wonder what that "Supe DLX vehicle" is? Slave 1? AT-AT?? Jabba's Sail Barge? who knows...

Also saw Mandolorian helmet on that list...cool!
CC1138

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »

This has been rumoured for a while now. The idea of losing the BAD packins (possibly leading to no packins at all), coupled with Hasbro's past hinting at doing a vintage style line for all movies, no more EU waves, and the Legacy line having its own sku all seem to add up to the possibility for its return. And lately hasbro has been very hush hush on the future look of the legacy line, despite the leak of some packaging box art.
I would love to see its return. By far the best packaging look for any star wars figures. It might even pull me back into carded collecting for a few figures.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »

Yes, I think most folks aren't surprised that we are getting Vintage packaging - in fact, if there's any collector who didn't expect this I'd be shocked given all the major sites' forums speculated that Hasbro had to do this in order to bring back collectors as far back as this spring.  Thankfully we now are a step closer to real confirmation and I do wonder if Hasbro will feel comfortable dropping the pack-in. Nostalgia alone is probably enough for most collectors to "collect them all" and there's no need for a gimmick until they switch over to the next card design in 2011/2?.  

I doubt this will turn me into a carded collector though, but I sure would want mint packaging just to keep around (albeit with the bubbles removed).

The pricing on the Super DLX seems to imply something big, but maybe not as big or complicated as the BMF. I think a Big AT-AT, especially as a non-exclusive item, could fall into this category. Not likely the sail barge because Hasbro would want a TESB vehicle for next year and not a RotJ one.

EDIT: Here's one more thought - Hasbro has already stated in their Q&A that the 2010 line will include a healthy mix of "Greatest Hits" figures along with the more niche-collector oriented figures.  So assuming that we get vintage-style packaging, would you re-buy a figure you already own because it's now in the Kenner-look?  I'd guess that Hasbro might just trot back out VotC Han (which folks have wanted to see reissued for a while), Early Bird Chewie, Endor Throne C3PO (i.e. the apology figure for the terrible VotC 3PO), maybe VotC Leia but now with the TLC improved elbows, Resurgence Tatooine Luke, Resurgence R2-D2, and even TLC old Ben, again since these would undoubtedly look amazing in Kenner packaging and have obvious appeal to collectors.  It'd be like VotC all over again minus the high price BUT with genuinely "ultimate" figures inside the bubble this time.  Hard to resist no doubt!  It's OTC-era revisited (remembering the throngs of people who complained about rebuying Cantina Han just because he was now in the sleekier OTC card with backdrop).

Another possibility: by delaying the 2010 release until fall, this gives Hasbro the time to actually finish up all or most of their 2010 figures in time to add them to the photography on the back of the card. So yes, we could even get that Kenner-style line-up on the backside too.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:05:33 PM by napseeker »

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:13 PM »

Perhaps the large vehicle is the new larger Snowspeeder... based on $79 Ties and $89 X-Wings (both re-releases) $99 doesn't seem too far off for such a newly updated vehicle.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »

Good point - they could pack it with two X-Wing pilots to justify the price hike (or even just Dack alone).

EDIT: Actually, you know what I think it could be now: Hasbro has already confirmed a new retooled Y-Wing for this year.  Better cockpit, stiffer plastic, removable droid socket, etc.  This could be a more logical slot to sell the Y-Wing in than the Snowspeeder (which seems destined to sell alongside the Swamp Speeder, Cloud Car, and Droid Gunship in the starfighter price range).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:19:37 PM by napseeker »

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »

Regarding the snowspeeder, I've heard t said that the vntage/POTF2 one was actually too BIG, so a more accurately scaled snowspeeder might actually be smaller. I don't know my scaling, but I read that somewhere.

I would love to see a bigger AT-AT, though my wallet wouldn't. I have no need for another Y-Wing now that I got one, was it last year? It is fine as far as I'm concerned.

And as for the idea of repacks in vintage packaging... ooooh! That would be tempting. But I would be buying it more for the packaging if I was keeping some carded. So even if it was an improved figure on a VOTC card back, if I had it on a VOTC card already, that would be a no. Maybe C-3PO because even carded the figure itself looks horrible. But Han, Chewie, Ben, they all look great on their current votc cards. But if they re-issue an AT-AT driver, for example. I'd be all over that as a votc to keep carded. Same with say the upcoming zuckus, that could be tempting too... Or crap, I just thought, Chewie and Vader VOTCs are not on STAR WARS cards, they're on ROTJ and ESB cards. Same with R2-D2. I'd buy them if they were on vintage SW cards. CRAP, this return to vintage could cost me a lot of money...  :crazy:

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »

Well I know one thing for sure... I am not going out and buying one of every figure just because it is on a 'vintage style' card. I have enough Han, Lukes, etc. in my collection that I don't need any more just because of the way the card looks. I had made this decision when Saga2 came out and got tires of seen the same character over and over again with different outfits or what ever. I only want figures I don't have and Clones/Battle/Super Battle and Destroyer Droids that's it. So, if hasbro plans on rereleasing figures in this new 'vintage style' cards then I know that my wallet (and my wife :tongue0024:) will be thanking me.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »

I will most likely hunt down the matching figures to what vintage figures I actually had as a kid (and still have). I'm sure there will be a few more that may prove irresistible but for the most part I'm done buying re-issues of figures I already have 3 or more versions of.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:17:38 PM »

I wonder if Hasbro will come up with a way to deliver character-specific cardbacks to us in Canada. We'll probably get some generic figure packaging that completely defeats the purpose. Worse, we might end up with some tragedy like the first wave of GI-JOE figures from a few years back: http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/images/25thcobracommander25.jpg

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »

I posted this in an old Hasbro Q&A thread:

Looks like Canada could get individual cardbacks instead of generic ones. From the Q&A at http://jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=3023

Q
3. Although it is a legal requirement in Canada to have any writing in both English and French, the latest packaging shows two additional languages (Spanish and Portuguese) and the European cards also have multiple languages e.g. German, Italian, etc...  Whilst there is obviously a limit to the amount of text that can be on the card in terms of space, would you ever consider creating global packaging to reduce the cost of producing different cards for the various markets (and also limiting the number of possible variations)?  And on the same subject, what is the reasoning behind the Canadian cards only showing a generic character (e.g. A Clone Trooper for The Clone Wars, Darth Vader for Saga Legends) on the cards, rather than a picture of the actual character itself as is the case for the U.S.?

A
We will not be going to a truly global package, as the multiple languages required would truly be suffocating and result in an unappealing look.  Instead, we are solving for the number of package variations that will result in the greatest return on our efforts, and the emergence of the Latin America markets have led us to develop a package that can to go more territories beyond the previous Canada-only version.  As to why the Canadian card has a generic character, the smaller size of the Canadian market could not justify the development of individualized card artwork and so a universal card was created.  Going forward, because of the larger distribution, Canada will be able to take in cards with individual character artwork.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »

Worse, we might end up with some tragedy like the first wave of GI-JOE figures from a few years back: http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/images/25thcobracommander25.jpg

Wow, that card is bad. Why would they think that was a good idea in the first place. lol. Do we know for sure that this Vintage line is actually the Legacy line? Or is it something different like they did a few years back?
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »

After rereading my last post. I realized that it was an uneducated question. For whatever reason I didn't clue in that this 'Vintage' will be be taking over the Legacy line in the Fall.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 12:24:02 AM »

The mysterious Stan offers some more hints over at RS: "there will be just enough room in the AT-AT head for three figures; but its going be just right amout of space. Not to much or to small. Very detail though. Hearing that Count Dooku will make appearance in the Vintage line later this fall."

The Dooku at least confirms the presence of eps2 characters in the vintage packaging mentioned earlier. I do hope it's not just a pure repack. Both the RotS and Evo versions were perfect in their own way but it'd be nice to get something different just to keep Hasbro from looking cheap  :).

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »

Yes, the Vintage figure line will replace the Legacy Collection line.

It will include both prequel and OT characters (but obviously will exclude the Clone Wars characters which will have their own line). Figures will be packaged on a vintage-style designed cardback. Not like the treatment we got for the "Vintage Original Trilogy Collection (VOTC)" line that featured the plastic clamshell; no, just the plain vintage-styled card design itself. And count on Hasbro Canada to give us the four-lingual package treatment for us Canucks, with the simple generic black and silver design. Canadian collectors looking for esthetics will certainly want to get their hands on the US version of the figures.

Now the guess, for Dooku, I doubt it will be a new version. Maybe slightly retooled, but I seriously doubt it. The Evolutions version was a perfect shot, why would it need improvement? You ought to know Hasbro better than this after so many years of straight repacks. They know some collectors will do anything to get a complete carded series. And the fact that this chracter isn't around anymore on the shelves just make a simple repack a good solution for Hasbro. The only extra thing I'd want is that they throw in a nice lightning gimmick to attach to his hand...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169126
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 80
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 61
Total: 63

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 40 queries.