Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2018, 09:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

24 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3-D TVs and Blu-Rays - Opinions?  (Read 627 times)

NorthernSolo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Hey - It's me!
    • View Profile
3-D TVs and Blu-Rays - Opinions?
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »

So since next week is when the onslaught of 3-D TVs start hitting, I'm wondering what other Troops think of it.

Personally, there is little to zero chance that I myself will be plunking down coin on this tech. Barring the fact I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to, 3-D is in its infancy and IMO anyone who drops large coin on upgrading across the board either is nuts or has loads of extra money to burn!!

I was looking at the prices on the Best Buy site, and a 42" I think it was, runs almost $3000!!! For a mere $500 you can get two pairs of the glasses and Monsters vs Aliens on Blu-Ray 3-D. And then the new 3-D players run ~ $450 on their own!

I caught some article online saying how broadcast TV at this point has no idea how to stream in 3-D and that no technology has even been worked on thus far!

Honestly, I don't know how well these new TVs will sell, aside from the few cats who live by the "Can't wait to get it" mentality. A lot of people I know just dropped large coin on getting LCD TVs and Blu-Ray players in the last year. For the industry to turn around and say they need to upgrade to 3-D sets already is ludicrous! Granted, nobody's holding a gun to these folks heads and forcing them to buy the stuff, but at the price point and the lack of 3-D stuff available, it seems a longshot that these sets will sell!
Opinions?
There isn't enough product on these shelves to fill a space cruiser!

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 3-D TVs and Blu-Rays - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:19:16 PM »

3D is not a selling point for me. Yes, I saw Avatar, UP, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and a few other movies in 3D but I would have enjoyed the movies just the same (well, except for maybe the minor eye-strain as my eye muscles tried hard to focus on items that weren't in focus) in 2D. It's all gimmics.

If TVs eventually all become 3D and I don't have to wear glasses to watch then you can count me in.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

General Yoda

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Disa Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:52:48 PM »

It's all gimmics.

My thoughts exactly ... so it adds some depth to some movies but that's it .. just a gimmick to charge more for tickets in my books .. I've seen many IMAX and Digital 3D movies .. by far IMAX 3D is better but I still find it to be overrated

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »

Im getting tired of 3d, so 3d tvs are out for me.

If you want to go out now and buy one, just think of all the people who bought HD dvd players.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170177
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 24
Total: 27

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 39 queries.