Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 06:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

64 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter is Coming!! (GAME OF THRONES novels & HBO TV series)  (Read 2671 times)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile

Anyone else stoked about this new series by HBO? Word is it will be one season for each novel. Haha, if the show is a success, they'll run out of novels before Martin finishes Dance with Dragons! Anyways, if the TV show is anything close to the books, it will be brilliant.

Here's the teaser. LOTR fans will be happy to see Boromir. :) My god man, can you believe it's been nine years since FOTR? 10th anniversary next year. Wow! Anyways, on to Game of Thrones:

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones

Edited: title amended in case anyone else is in love with this story & hasn't chimed in yet! - jj
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:53:39 PM by jjreason »

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
Re: Winter is Coming!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »

I'm pretty excited, I hear there are some casting changes and those are never good news for a project like this . . . and I dunno how they can compete with my imagination but I will def watch!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Winter is Coming!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »

I just searched for a topic re. the books & HBO series and am glad someone else started one. I just finished reading A Dance with Dragons and must say, this story is absolutely jaw-dropping.

I haven't seen any of the season 2 episodes of the show yet, but will buy them on blu-ray as soon as they're available, just like I did with season 1 (which got better as it went along in my opinion - kinda campy & naughty like the old HBO Rome series, where the books don't really focus so much on the salacious details - not like they hide from them either by any stretch, but I digress).

For what it's worth, there is an ongoing comic book series by Dynamite comics that is up issue 9 as I type. They have covered off most of the first book and may actually be into book 2 by now, I haven't read the last 2 issues. They are a good quick way of recapping what happens in the books, but I would certainly recommend reading the novels prior to reading these (or watching the show for that matter).

eifwen2009

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Winter is Coming!! (GAME OF THRONES novels & HBO TV series)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »

just finished the second book and some parts of the stroyline doesn't jive with the tv series. I won't spoil it for either the readers or the viewers, but I would like to have some things mentioned in the tv series that the book touched up on.
"Basca"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:07:14 PM »

I read the synopses of the tv episodes and thought it sounded pretty close. I'll have to wait until I see them - and to be honest the books have blended into one story so much that I doubt I'll recall any nuances of book 2 unless I re-read.  :(

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:27:21 AM »

Anyone still watching? We're halfway through Season 4 now, and I feel the show has maintained a pretty high level of quality. After this season they're going to be very close to having caught up with the books - I think I read somewhere they're planning on drawing out seasons 5 & 6 a little bit - presumably in hopes that Martin will have the next book published during that time frame.

I also understand the producers of the show have been provided a framework to end the story, should something happen to the author before he can get all the books completed & published. Talk about a worst-case scenario - I don't want to see the ending on TV before I get a chance to read it!!!  :mad0218: :speechless-smiley-004: :mad0177:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »

Started watching finally, got all 3 seasons on blu ray and burned through them, going back through them with my wife while simultaneously watching season 4. Amazing show! I heard, yes, drawing out the books across a few seasons but also heard they don't plan on doing more than 7 seasons or something? Because at some point the books aren't as TV-worthy? Maybe they get even more heavily into politics or something? I am not reading them so have no idea.

I have actually never responded so strongly to show, other than perhaps Breaking Bad. And the collector in me has more than once already refused to buy anything bearing the Lannister sigil! I just hate them (except for Tyrion) that much! Got myself a Stark sigel ball cap from HMV the other day…might try to get the Targaryen one too eventually.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »

The issue with the books is that there haven't been enough published.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

The last one was book 5 (out of a planned 7), and we've been waiting over 2 years for book 6. There is currently NO chance book 6 will be released in 2014, so you can see how concerns about the show catching up (and surpassing) the story of the books is a very valid possibility.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »

I heard the writer is enjoying his new found fame a little too much and is partying in LA rather than writing…maybe a rumour.  But the thing about the books I heard that even before they catch up to where they are at they get less interesting. But maybe it is both: a storyline wraps up and might be a good place to stop and/or they just can't depend on the guy actually ever finishing the series if he's Mr. Social Animal now!!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 11:37:44 PM »

He has basically told everyone to pound sand and that the next book will be done "when it's done". He's an overweight 60-something whom I'm sure has type 2 diabetes. If you've never seen pics of GRRM, they ain't pretty and they don't look that way. If he's out partying it up in LA, it's between the hours of 10am and 10pm!  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

The first book was published in the mid-90s and folks have been worried he was going to kak before he finished the series since around that time!  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:40:58 PM by jjreason »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 12:00:23 AM »

There you go! Shouldn't listen to rumours!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »

No you very well could be right, didn't meant to suggest otherwise - just finding the idea quite humerous.  :)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »

I continue to really enjoy this series. I've read all the books except the last one. Mainly because it only recently came out in paperback and I've waited like 6 or 7 years for it, so I've long forgotten half of what was going on. I'm thinking I may wait til they're all out and re-read the series from the beginning and not have to wait a ridiculous number of years between books.

The thing that irks me about the wait between books is Martin's inability to focus. I don't think he's partying etc. but he's constantly editing other anthologies and working on other projects (and watching football, check his blog). I get writing is an art and it can't be forced, and I don't begrudge his other interests, but ugh! It's become a thing on the internet where it blew up a couple years ago. Neil Gaiman even weighed in stating "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch". While I agree, I also think there is an unspoken promise an author makes to complete something in a timely manner. Anyway, until the final book is out, I think I'm done reading them.

As for the show, I think there are already a few deviations from the books. It's been so long for me everything is a bit fuzzy, but there are a couple things that seem a little more than subtly different (where Arya is at this point?). For the most part it seems at least "close enough". The producers of the show do know how the book series is supposed to end, they met with Martin to discuss it knowing they would overtake the book publishing.  So I think there will continue to be deviations due to the different medium, but I think we will get an ending to the TV series that will be basically the same as what it will be for the books.

Either way great series. Great characters. Who doesn't love Jon Snow, Arya, Tyrion... Everyone seems to love Daenerys, though I find her parts in the book painfully boring. Looking forward to next episode!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »

Brilliant website I've found that does a lot of GoT type stuff including a forum. My favorite part is the "Book to Screen" descriptions though as it refers each scene from the episode of the show back to the source material and goes into detail about what's the same, changed and totally new. Acts as a great refresher to those of us who haven't read the books now for a length of time.

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Episodes/

Use the link, then choose the episode of the show - you can then choose book to screen from the menu & see what I mean. Very well done.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »

I have read the books, but don't watch the show.  It's funny that I make the distinction, but it seems I am willing to read a book that has some sexual content, but will not watch the visual version :speechless-smiley-004:  however, as per one of JJ's comments above, and previews I have seen, I think nudity is more of a focus on the show then it is in the books, so not really what I am up for, unfortunately, as I am sure I would like it otherwise.
I agree with Darth Cujo, as well - although I am forgetting details now, I am not going to reread any books until the final book is very near completion, because these insane gaps between books just make you forget the whole story.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169100
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 38 queries.