Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2018, 09:40:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

24 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 Vintage Collection  (Read 13004 times)

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
2010 Vintage Collection
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:21:47 AM »

What is all the fuss about? Has all the waiting and anticipation for the new Vintage Collection been worth it all?

Well I think so.

If anything, Hasbro has taken everything they've learned over the past few years and upped the anti with some very nice likenesses and detailed sculpting. I had heard paint apps were sketchy but on the figures I picked up they all seem to be very well done.

I grabbed 6 of the figures (UPDATE: Now all 11 are posted) to test the waters and at WalMart's $9.92 price point they are certainly worth the purchase.

I have no idea why I left Boba Fett on the shelf (other than the fact that I already have a bin full of Fetts) but I'm sure stores will be stocking these figures for a while.

The one figure I was most skeptical about was C-3PO but now that I've opened him up and had a good look at him I think he's very well done. Once you get him in the proper pose the proportions look pretty darn good. The pop-off panels are a neat feature but nothing to rave about (I hope they stay on). He's made of softer plastic, much like 4-Lom, and although not the chrome we are used to the metallic gold (and silver on the right leg) paint isn't too shabby.

My biggest disappointment is that these new Vintage cards don't fit into the same plastic clams that the VOTC figures came in. The extra little nubby on the bottom of the plastic bubble doesn't allow the card to fit properly. Rats! And I saved a whole boat-load of them.

Keep your eyes on the shelves. They are going to start creeping in all across the country.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:02:17 AM by Hellboy »
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

Cmdr Bacara

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I whacked Ki-Adi Mundi
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Vintage Collection
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »

Good pics HB.  The Luke looks really good, better than I thought.  Kind of wish they had the "Bobba" Fett sticker though!   :)

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »

So here's a question. Is Dengar backwards in the picture on the card, or did they sculpt him backwards?  The symbol on the belt and the bit of detail on the chest protector are on opposite sides of each other.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:09:27 AM »

Ha, I never noticed the discrepancy with Dengar. That would be a good question to Hasbro. Great pictures Hellboy, as always. I am glad to hear about C-3PO, the last month or so I have been reading some harsh things about him.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »

From looking at ESB and ESB stills it appears the figure is correct and the original Kenner card used a photo reversed image. On the card image Dengar is shown to the right of IG-88 while in the actual ESB scene he is to the left of IG-88.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »

Yeah, more than likely the image was flipped for aesthetics. There probably wasn't enough image on the other side of Dengar to allow for his photo to be placed on the right of the bubble.

Another card note is that the Vader pictured is from ANH with the over-the-armour tunic whilst it is and ESB figure on an ESB card but since we're replicating vintage releases it makes no difference.

With 3PO it is a bit of a sacrifice to lose the chrome but my biggest concern was the lack of wirey mid-section you see when he's on card. The ball-joint torso actually has a proper spinal curve so when you pose him properly (instead of flat like in the bubble) you see the right amount and it looks 150% better.

I picked up the rest of the wave this morning so I'll post more pics tonight.

Now where's the AT-AT?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:58:05 AM by Hellboy »
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:06:15 AM »

Okay, so here is the rest of Wave 1 for your viewing pleasure.

The only dud in the bunch is 4-Lom who is a great figure but being that he is a re-pack you absolutely have to love the vintage card because that's the only thing new.

I love the Cloud Car pilot and I guess when I return 4-Lom I can pick up another for the vehicle when it reaches retail. Great detailing on this guy. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a paint app that may have missed the moustache so my second pilot isn't actually a twin.

Another Solo, this time sporting his Echo Base outfit, and although it's not the version fans have been asking for it is still a rather nice figure. The coat hides the "barrel" chest and the accessories give us a few tools to get the BMF ready for flight.

No, it's not General Veers but he'll do. This is a fine rendition of the AT-AT Commander and will look really sweet manning the cockpit of that new behemoth coming in the fall.

And lastly we have Bobba Fett... er... Boba Fett. We've seen this figure a few times now but if you didn't get your hands on the corrected version of the Fett Legacy pack now is your chance to get him with the proper decals and paint. He will also look nice sitting next to the Kenner mail-away version you should be saving your UPCs for.

Wave 1 is a great start to the Vintage Collection and the quality of the figures is the best I've seen to date. I'm really looking forward to several of the next wave figures and if Wave 1 is any indication they will be spectacular as well.

Trust me.

Slizer 26

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »

So here's a question. Is Dengar backwards in the picture on the card, or did they sculpt him backwards?  The symbol on the belt and the bit of detail on the chest protector are on opposite sides of each other.

This might have been answered but the picture on Degar's cardback is a reversed image, you can tell if you look at Boba Fett, his rangefinder is on the wrong side of his head.

These vintage figures are absolutely amazing, the paint apps and scuplting make them quite spectacular in my opinion.

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

In the card, c3p0 looks kinda chubby. I know you said you open him, and he looks good, but just carded, looks chubby.

Whats with Hans neck? Other then that, they look awesome.

Jedi Jedd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • No reward is worth this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »

Cool pics and review. Luke and leia are instant must buys for me. They look great. Han is such a huge disapointment. I mean we *almost* had a bespin han but get this instead.  :shakehead:

I do not like green eggs and ham!

Jabba the Canadian

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 05:33:00 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn't like the new Vintage Collection?  Except for Dengar none of them are good likenesses, they have visible joints, dis-proportioned bodies, and they are all-but-one repeats of characters that we all have dozens of already.  And the only one that's new (Dack) is just a head-replacement.  I haven't been this disappointed since 1995.  I know Empire is weakest when it comes to variety of characters, so I can almost understand, but Wave 2 doesn't look like it's shaping up to be any better.

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn't like the new Vintage Collection?  Except for Dengar none of them are good likenesses, they have visible joints, dis-proportioned bodies, and they are all-but-one repeats of characters that we all have dozens of already.  And the only one that's new (Dack) is just a head-replacement.  I haven't been this disappointed since 1995.  I know Empire is weakest when it comes to variety of characters, so I can almost understand, but Wave 2 doesn't look like it's shaping up to be any better.

..YEAH I agree ...there's nothing GREAT here...will get the 3PO ..just because he look's different...I'm ONLY interested in the mail away.....and after reading the form, any UPC's from previous line's can be used...I have a bunch of CLONE WARS just waiting to be mailed away!!..

:fett:

Shadow_Imperium

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »

Damn Hasbro, I was out of collecting, for various reasons; but to complete my bounty hunters, and my love of walkers, and those inside them I think I'm being sucked in, even for just a bit. I normally avoid Leia(s) but I might just get this one.
"Early to rise and Early to bed, make a man healthy but socially dead."

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 12:58:58 PM »

Most of Wave 1 is all new figures for me but I can see where the lack of excitement stems from when I look at Wave 2 which, for the most part, I will be skipping. Perhaps the photos don't do the likenesses justice but in person I believe they are some of the best so far. The Vintage Collection is merely another line, as the price point suggests, so kudos to Hasbro for taking the effort to make it look like it is more than that.

Trust me.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »

Most of Wave 1 is all new figures for me but I can see where the lack of excitement stems from when I look at Wave 2 which, for the most part, I will be skipping. Perhaps the photos don't do the likenesses justice but in person I believe they are some of the best so far. The Vintage Collection is merely another line, as the price point suggests, so kudos to Hasbro for taking the effort to make it look like it is more than that.

I agree, the figure selection is pretty weak, but the figures themselves are pretty awsome. A couple weak points but overall, fantastic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170177
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 24
Total: 27

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 38 queries.