Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 02:51:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

25 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars Comic Packs (Convention Exclusives): Fixer/Camie Maul/Lars  (Read 7706 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile

Note: I'm using imagevenue to host the pictures... they seem to offer the largest thumbnails and have great bandwidth support. If the mods or anyone can point to a better imagehoster, feel free and I might try to replace these links. The one downside about imagevenue is that they sometimes resort to popup ads which are of an adult nature so do turn on your popup blocker if you intend to take a closer look at the snapshots.  I use the Noscript addon under Firefox to keep my net browsing safe from those scoundrels who wish me to look at popup naked women!  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

SNOWTROOPER REVIEW:

The Star Wars comic packs. A wonderful concept that had a somewhat troubled start and then just as it began to  really catch on with collectors - the entire line was cancelled. Another victim of the global recession and of higher than anticipated development costs.

I'm going to review two of the final comic packs that will be coming out this summer, both as convention exclusives that will also be offered to collectors through HasbroToyShop.com. The first pack is from the comic book series Star Wars: Empire, with two well-known heroes of the rebellion, Luke and Biggs, on the cover. The second pack is based on the one-shot Star Wars Visionaries and features the always-popular Darth Maul on its cover looking like many SW collectors did when they found out the comic packs had been cancelled: royally pissed! :)

Now let's see what figures Hasbro has chosen to include with each set...

Oh no!!! They're all repacks! There's the TAC Biggs and TAC Moisture Farmer Luke, and in the other set we get an outdated eps1 Darth Maul figure and a repack of the RotS Obi-Wan Pilot!  What were they thinking?!? No one will buy these! We're doomed!!!

...okay I'm just kidding. Those are definitely not the figures that come with these two packs. In fact, far from just lousy repacks, I'd say that the figures in these final two packs are among the best figures produced in the entire comic pack line: excellent super articulation, softgoods, great paintjobs, and amazing sculpting. Hasbro's designers really went the extra mile on these figures in all respects.

Because this is not just a product intended to sit on the pegs at your local retail store any longer, Hasbro also went to a great deal of effort to ensure that these packs would be housed in a nice and sturdy cardboard box, suitable for display and offering something worth seeing from all angles.

The front of the box features a reproduction of the comic book cover:

This front can be swung open just like a book cover (it is normally kept closed thanks to four velcro tabs on each corner) and voila, the comic pack itself is now visible and on the inside "cover" is a reproduction of one of the pages from the comic itself:

One small negative though is that the lid/cover doesn't want to open particularly wide. It has a tendency to  want to snap back to a more closed position and if you try to force it to stay a bit more open, there's the sense that the cardboard at the fold might get damaged - I'd say that you can get it to stay open at a 55-65 degree angle without stressing the fold too badly. It's still reasonably open enough to display and looks just fantastic.

When you flip the box over, here Hasbro has cut out the back allowing the back of the actual comic pack packaging to be visible:

Both the cutout on the back and the inside cutout are protected by a thick transparent plastic sheet, keeping The comic pack's packaging from being exposed to the air and safe from any grimy hands.

To show that Hasbro really wanted people to appreciate this box from all angles, even the sides and the top of the box are covered in artwork taken from the comic book pages:

This is a really great design idea: now if you choose to store the packs either on a bookshelf or perhaps store them away inside a big storage box, you can still tell at a glance which comic pack it is just by the custom artwork used.

But on to the real meat of this review: the comic packs themselves and the figures within! It's pretty easy to remove the pack from its box, just open up the top and take them right out:

The backside of the packs give us another look at the figures and come with a short description of who they are and why we should care:

Of course, if you don't know who Fixer and Camie are, then you probably won't care regardless of any description: both characters never got any actual screentime in the films as their scenes were totally cut from ANH. Their appeal is pretty much limited to older collectors who want these long-ignored characters enshrined in plastic form at last and can appreciate their role in the early history of the SW saga. After all, these two really didn't do anything important to the plot, they were chums of Luke and Biggs and were utilized to mostly show how low Luke was in the social circle of his small town.

To make the Empire comic pack as a convention exclusive and produced in relatively small numbers really made sense here, their limited appeal would've no doubt resulted in some serious pegwarming if they'd been allowed to make it out into the wilds of retail land. Although not at any store that I frequent - I'd have snapped up multiples of this pack for customizing, as their outfits are perfect for turning into various generic Mos Eisley citizens!

Both Fixer and Camie have the now-standard BJ head, shoulders, and elbows. They also sport swivel legs, waist and wrists. Fixer also has articulated ankles whereas Camie does not (but hey, she comes with a bonus dog-thing that gives her a kind of Paris Hilton vibe so that's something). The likenesses to the original actors is excellent. The heads are painted in flesh color rather than being cast in flesh-colored plastic.

One negative about Fixer is that his left leg seems to be shorter than his right leg, which results in him leaning over to his left side. This may be due to some warping while in package, it's hard to tell, but it's possible that using a hairdryer to reset the legs might work and give him back a more normal stance.

Camie's skirt is made of softer, rubbery plastic which gives it a slight bit of leeway for her legs to be posed but the room is fairly negligible. She was basically intended to stand around and look good holding her dog ...thing. She does have one notable attribute that I don't think has ever been seen in a Hasbro action figure (including going as far back as the Kenner days): while testing out the skirt's pliability, I noticed that she has, uhm, no underwear on. Yes, she is "au naturel" underneath that skirt and that is pretty daring for a small town girl!  Normally Hasbro goes the extra mile to cast the crotch regions in a different colored (non-flesh) plastic just to make it clear that their figures are not going to lure innocent children "to the dark side" too young. Well, I guess since this is a pack targeted to adult collectors, someone just decided  "What the heck, let's give Camie a bit of an edge!"  I wonder if this had been a Leia character if they'd have dared?  At any rate, that's another tidbit for you customizers out there looked for super-articulated naked female body parts to harvest from. You sickos.  :winking0071:

Now onto the Visionaries comic pack. After the Luke/Lumiya pack, this is easily my next fave pack of the entire line. You basically get the absolute best Darth Maul figure made so far: fantastic sculpt, paintjob, and super articulation that includes BJ hips for the best possible posability. There's no doubt in my mind that if Visionaries had been released at retail, it would've sold like hotcakes to both older collectors (who'd likely want the newly upgraded Owen Lars) and to young kids (who'd want the coolest looking Darth Maul  so far).

If there's one negative about Darth Maul, it's that he's quite hard to stand up. This is no fault of the figure itself but in the design of the character - you will need to stick him onto a stand if you really want to pose him in any kind of exotic or action-oriented attack pose (he does sport pegholes in his feet... the hole is under his middle toe).

Being an older fan, of course I'm actually more interested in Owen Lars! What a disappointment it was to collectors who bought the Lars Homestead playset and found that Hasbro included the outdated PotF2 figure to represent the crusty farmer. But here we go with the Owen Lars that we'd been hoping to see for ages: he's got all the articulation you expect for modern SW figures BUT no ankle articulation. This is likely a cost-saving measure since he comes with some awesome softgoods robes. Unlike with the TLC Owen Lars, the robes are made of much thinner material this time, so the bulkiness is considerably less this time around.

One negative is that his rifle is quite rubbery and due to the way it was packaged, is mostly bent in all the wrong places when you take it out of the packaging. It looks like he left his weapon out in the sun too long and it started to melt :)

Also the ball on his neck is a bit too large and this has the unfortunate effect of preventing him from looking up or down (he can turn his head sideways, so effectively it's no different from a swivel head joint).

These are both fairly small nitpicks about an otherwise fantastic figure though. He's definitely the best Owen Lars made so far and probably for the foreseable future. Customizers are most likely going to be repainting him asap so that he more closely resembles his ANH character. Obviously it's fun to place all three incarnations of Lars into a lineup and get a nice shot at the "evolution" of Luke's adopted dad.

I give the Fixer/Camie pack a 9/10, Owen Lars a 9/10, and Darth Maul? A 10/10 (any less and I'm sure he'd hunt  ME down for some saber gutting!)  The Maul/Lars pack will be available at the SDCC happening this month and Fixer/Camie will be offered at Celebration V. Serious collectors should definitely not miss out on both of these sets, they are the highlights of the comic pack line!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:53:14 PM by napseeker »
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
Re: Star Wars Comic Packs (Convention Exclusives): Fixer/Camie Maul/Lars
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:51:13 PM »

Has anyone been to SDCC before?  I have no idea if these sell out and are hard to get or what. I don't mind standing in line to get one of these, and a maybe a few other cool exclusives like a Galactus figure I saw on a blog. But not if they sell out to scalpers or whatever.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »

Nice review napseeker. Camie and Fixer look awsome. And the cover art for that issue looks fantastic (Doug Wheatley does some amazing work), along with the packaging, making it tempting to get a set to keep carded. And the owen/maul set looks great, even if owen isn't quite old enough. Anyways, I'm really happy to get Camie and Fixer, stars of the editting room floor and the radio drama. :) I've wanted these figures for a long time. Now they need to make Windie. ;)

Hasbro is trying to scare people into buying these up quick by saying they're going to be really limited, but I'm thinking they should be available through hasbrotoyshop.com for at least a day or two. Might be worthwhile getting if you can order these and the 4-LOM/Zuckuss set all at once. I dunno. But even if you miss out, unless they're goofy limited like Pimp Daddy Destro, they'll be cheaper in a few years. Even Destro has plumetted in price. The gold head one used to fetch $300 on ebay, now he's selling for around $60. Anyways, I digress. I wouldn't worry too much about secondary market value on these. At least not in the long run.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:36:48 PM by Darth Cujo »

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »

Great review and where did those figures come from? Are they PR samples?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »

Hasbro and HunterPR have generously sent out samples to many of the SW sites (which is why you're seeing so many sites suddenly offering detailed reviews of the same upcoming product).  It makes sense because photos and slides sometimes can't tell you the whole story about whether to pick up a figure or not. Especially for Canadians when it comes to US convention exclusives and how troublesome it is to obtain. Having it in your hand, putting it into a diorama and having the pieces interact with your existing collection, that really can confirm that this is a piece worth going to the trouble of purchasing (hopefully my review has helped make up a few minds - feel free to pummel me with any other questions about these packs).

What I'm hoping for is that once this wave of promotions is completed, the marketing team will still have some leftover SW toys that can be donated to the various SW sites and their members. Earlier this year they had a few Clone Wars TurboTanks(!!!) that sites would get for free if they would run a contest to give it away. Unfortunately I was just way too busy to organize anything (and I think ambasah's diorama contest was running at the time anyway) however trust me, if Hasbro's marketing folks have any spare AT-AT leftovers I will make the effort to get one so that a lucky snowtrooper can win it and gaze in wonder at the second best toy ever made (next to last year's Big Falcon of course!!!)

I'm in the process right now of taking photos for the 4LOM/Zuckuss Celebration V exclusive and will have a review up over the weekend. 

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:01:58 AM »

Yes it seems quite a few sites have acknowledged receiving the comic packs and 4Lom/Zuckuss CV pair with some even getting an AT-AT. It's nice to see a Canadian site included among those given pre-release PR items. Were there any terms and conditions attached to the release of these items?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »

No, I should definitely make it clear that the samples were not provided to me (or any of the other SW sites) with any kind of requirement that anything has to be done to "earn" them. For example, the note that came with the 3 exclusive packs literally just says "Hey Tom! Get ready for San Diego Comic Con! Enjoy!" and that's all. I'm sure there are some SW collector sites who have received the same packs and opted just to do exactly that, enjoy the free samples and not even write a review.

That said, any true SW enthusiast who has the chance to see these fantastic packs in person would have a very hard time not writing a review and passing on their excitement. They are really a joy to own and display. I was going to buy the two comic packs regardless but my plan (and limited budget) wasn't going to allow me to buy the 4-LOM/Zuckuss set. However, as I'm photographing the bounty hunters (and spending my morning writing up a rather long article about them) it's really dawned on me that passing these up would've ultimately been a big regret on my end. The (nostalgia) force is strong with these bounty hunters! I think that's the message that Hasbro's marketing team would like those of us who do get the samples to pass on to the rest of the collector community: don't pass these up, they're some of Hasbro's best work and meant for you collectors, not the kids!  The marketing team could just post that themselves on the Hasbro site I'm sure, but obviously it's always better when your customers can do that for you and with more unbiased credibility :)

Another reason why I want to write these reviews (and hopefully more down the road if time permits) is to show the Hasbro team that the Snowtroopers site can "compete" with some of the bigger US-based SW sites in terms of commitment and enthusiasm. Darth Cujo and I have both bemoaned the fact that after all these years, we're still nothing more than just a chat forum and that we don't have the more resourceful offerings that the US sites have. I'm talking about things like a dedicated photo gallery, live coverage of the conventions (or even a post-convention coverage report), regular reviews of toys, sponsored contests, "figure of the day" articles, etc. etc.  Our front news page doesn't even work properly any more AFAIK.   I don't want to be just another complainer, so at least with these reviews and the Q&A and fan's choice polls, I can do my small part. Not everyone can be as generous as ambasah and sponsor a contest with his own collection and pay to ship it, but if a few more people would be willing to write regular articles (you choose - just create your own regular column and write whatever the heck you want about SW and your love of it) things would improve greatly. (EDIT: here's an idea - if time is a problem to commit, don't do a "figure of the day", why not something like "figure of the week"? or "figure of the month"?)

I wrote back to HunterPR and aside from thanking them, I also said that getting these samples represents the first time that our meager site has had the chance to publish an early review ("sneak peek") for products that haven't yet hit retail or been available to the masses of Canada. It's basically given us a chance to stand head-and-shoulders alongside the likes of rebelscum or GH or sandtroopers in offering its members that exclusive first look.  That's a big reason why I'm rushing out these reviews so that our members don't just do what we always do: go to the US websites to find out more about these products. Snowtroopers should hear from their fellow snowtroopers about this kind of stuff, rather than just treating our site as a secondary resource.  I hope the guys at HunterPR agree, like I said it'd be great if they'd be willing to help sponsor a few contests down the road and we can spur on our existing membership to help grow our own website into something more versatile and powerful.

Okay, back to writing that bounty hunter review...

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:29:42 PM by napseeker »

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »

No, I should definitely make it clear that the samples were not provided to me (or any of the other SW sites) with any kind of requirement that anything has to be done to "earn" them. For example, the note that came with the 3 exclusive packs literally just says "Hey Tom! Get ready for San Diego Comic Con! Enjoy!" and that's all. I'm sure there are some SW collector sites who have received the same packs and opted just to do exactly that, enjoy the free samples and not even write a review. 
Where do I sign up for these free promo items? :)

I'm talking about things like a dedicated photo gallery, live coverage of the conventions
I thought we did a decent job of keeping troopers up to date at C5.  I think we should try to have a booth next time around, and maybe formalize the update process at these and other events (SDCC, etc.).

I don't want to be just another complainer, so at least with these reviews and the Q&A and fan's choice polls, I can do my small part. Not everyone can be as generous as ambasah and sponsor a contest with his own collection and pay to ship it, but if a few more people would be willing to write regular articles (you choose -just create your own regular column and write whatever the heck you want about SW and your love of it) things would improve greatly.
My pet project is the EU forum - I know many troopers don't like the EU, but many do.  You guys should check out the forum some time.  I think it is better than what you get on any other site (but I am a bit biased!!!)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »

By the way, awesome review :)`
I wish I had read it before C5, and I may have picked up these packs.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 05:34:10 PM »

You must fill out a form that informs Hasbro you are willing to hand over your first born and pet dog... then they will get back to you with a big AT-AT  :)  Is that a fair trade?  You tell me!  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

That said regarding the freebies, I think it is just karma coming around... I had $150 stolen from me by Pedro when he quietly closed up ToyAddict and took all the money I'd paid him for a bunch of SW toys that he obviously never delivered to me. The very generous toys that HunterPR sent my way is basically about equal to what Pedro stole so I would like to think of it as "back to square one" again.  :D   That said, if I ever run into Pedro in person, he shall  find himself running the other way very fast! 
:luke:

My pet project is the EU forum - I know many troopers don't like the EU, but many do.  You guys should check out the forum some time.  I think it is better than what you get on any other site (but I am a bit biased!!!)

Yes, you do an excellent job with the book summaries and reviews. I love reading them - great way for me to keep up to date on the EU universe not covered by the comic books.  Your writeups are probably the closest thing we have to a regular writing column on this site.  Keep up the great work!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 07:01:38 AM »

You must fill out a form that informs Hasbro you are willing to hand over your first born and pet dog... then they will get back to you with a big AT-AT  :)  Is that a fair trade?  You tell me!  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

That said regarding the freebies, I think it is just karma coming around... I had $150 stolen from me by Pedro when he quietly closed up ToyAddict and took all the money I'd paid him for a bunch of SW toys that he obviously never delivered to me. The very generous toys that HunterPR sent my way is basically about equal to what Pedro stole so I would like to think of it as "back to square one" again.  :D   That said, if I ever run into Pedro in person, he shall  find himself running the other way very fast!  
:luke:

As long as my first born also gets the figures, he probably wouldn`t mind! :winking0071:

That sucks about Pedro.  I am glad things have come back to you to help make up for it.  Guys like that need to be found in a dark alley somewhere with no one around...

By the way, glad to hear you like the EU forum - at least there are some people reading it!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:05:12 AM by brianakarobin »

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »

Great review napseeker. I have read and seen nothing but good things about these exclusive CP and the last wave of CP's. Hopefully Hasbro sees how important it is to think about which characters are smart to do and which ones should be avoided, if and when they decide to bring Comic Packs back into the mix.

I too am a big fan of the EU part of this forum. Before I started reading through it in length, I never realized how indepth and vast the Star Wars universe really went. I blame this forum for getting me hooked on the EU.  :)
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

leebo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »

The packages on these comic packs are great. I usually don't keep the packages due to space issues but for these I had to give it a second thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169093
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 60
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 37 queries.