Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 02:07:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

58 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LC Zellers/Target Exclusive Big Wing Tie Fighter  (Read 1236 times)

Slizer 26

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
LC Zellers/Target Exclusive Big Wing Tie Fighter
« on: August 26, 2010, 02:47:39 PM »

Today's Review is not for a figure but instead a Vehicle and Figure combo. It's the Zellers/Target exclusive Imperial Tie Fighter. Currently being found at Zellers for 40$ as opposed to the Regular 80$ in my opinion it's a good deal. considering you would spend 30$ for a Small wing Tie fighter, as opposed to 40$ for a large wing Tie and packaged figure.
So after covering some base points, let's look at the packaging, it is of course what you'll be seeing when you go to buy one. It comes in your basic Red/White Legacy Collection box, complete with the 4 Clone banner at the top. A large portion of the centre of the box shows the Tie Fighter in action during the Battle of Yavin, being chased down the trench by Rebel ships as opposed to chasing them.  In the bottom corner there's a window displaying the included Tie Fighter Pilot. The box in my opinion is catchy and serves its purpose.

After opening the box up, you will find your 2 large wings, that are almost the size of the box, another box containing the  Cockpit "Pod", and the attached to the box Pilot holder. No instructions or stickers, and this is because all the detailing is on the Tie already, and the instructions are printed on the bottom of the box. Its opened now, assembling it is easy, take a wing and pop it into the slot on the Pod, like you do with any other Tie.
Its built, and everything is out of the box, so what do we have, a Pilot and a semi new Tie Fighter. For those who don't know the wings are 15 inches in length, making the tie stand at 15 inches sitting on its wings,  10 3/4 inches wide, with a total wing depth of just over 12 inches. That's quite the hefty starcraft, now I don't have a small wing Tie to compare to, but if you do, you can notice it's quite an improvement.  So now the real part, what's different from this one compared to other large wing Ties that have been out before? A new cockpit and different figure are about all. The figure is the Evolutions Imperial Pilot sculpt but more on that later. The new cockpit is highly detailed to the point of matching movie shots. only downside, red tinted windows, why they did this I don't know, maybe to simulate the red seen inside the cockpit during those movie shots. Another feature of this Cockpit is the extendable chin guns. It's an interesting feature that I don't seem to recall from any of the movies but I could be wrong on that one. The final part is the ejectable seat, seen in Empire comics if I remember correctly. The seat isn't spring loaded and does take some slight force to remove it. Same with the chin guns, they do take some force to loosen them up at first.  The paint is very similar to the ones seen in TAC and TLC, so a good uniformity is kept in that sense.

Now the figure, same as the evo scuplt, has your basic articulation, with the exception of Ball Joint ankles, he's got static ones. I feel it isn't a big loss as his main goal is to pilot a Tie Fighter. Not alot can be said for him, he does have a removable helmet, and looks good with Darth Vader or other imperial forces. 

Overall, is it worth it, at the current 40$, my verdict is yes. At its regular 80$ it's not worth it.  At that price you're best to just save the money. If you already have a Big Wing Tie, then its most likely not worth the 40$ unless you're really keen on the new cockpit. I'd recommend it to people without a Big Wing or Small Wing Tie, though its not really needed in my opinion if you already have one. It's a nice improvement and looks good with  figures and vehicles alike, though the biggest irk is the Red tinted glass. So I say pick it up, you might actually enjoy what you get, I know I did.

dinga

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Look! Toys
    • View Profile
Re: LC Zellers/Target Exclusive Big Wing Tie Fighter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 05:07:14 PM »

I didn't like the red tinted windows at first but it grew on me. I remember the windows being red in the comics way back when. I think that is what Hasbro was going for.  :party0053:

Slizer 26

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »

Yeah the red tint has definately grown on me as well, now that its sitting on my shelf. As my first ever Tie Fighter, I have to say I am impressed.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »

I didn't like the red tinted windows at first but it grew on me. I remember the windows being red in the comics way back when. I think that is what Hasbro was going for.  :party0053:

Yes, I believe that this TIE is based on the Shadows of the Empire version.

Slizer 26

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 10:27:21 PM »

Thanks Wedge, ive only played the N64 Game and read the Novel, so I didnt pick up on that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170155
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.