Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 06:34:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When did SW figures jump in quality?  (Read 1938 times)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
When did SW figures jump in quality?
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:49:31 AM »

I started heavy into collecting about 2 years ago, when my nephew had "grown out" of his figure collection. Knowing that I like SW, his mom gave all his figures to me rather than sell them at a garage sale - about 40 figures in all. The majority of his figures were from the ROTS and Saga Collection lines from about 2005-06. By the time I got into buying at retail for myself, the TLC and CW lines had already been underway for a little while. I also managed to find a few TAC figures yet.

Now that the background is through, here is my question!

I've noticed that the quality of the figures (number of joints, amount of detail, accuracy of likenesses) is quite good for most of the figures throughout the ROTS, SAGA, TAC, TLC, TVC lines. I also have a few old POTF2 figures that I picked up for fun, and obviously the quality of these is nothing compared to recent ones. But I'm wondering, when did it start to change? Was it gradual, or are there specific points where one can say the quality improved greatly?

The main reason I'm wondering is that now that I've collected pretty much everything I want from the recent/current lines, I'd like to start going back (via ebay) and try to pick up figures to fill out collections for specific diorama scenes, eg. the Cantina denizens, Jabba's Throne Room, etc. But I don't want to go back so far that I start buying figures with poor articulation, etc that might eventually be replaced with new upgraded versions in the future. Basically, I would think that a decent figure should have at least articulated neck, shoulders, elbows, waist, hips, knees, and maybe upper arm as well.

So for you seasoned veterans out there, what are your thoughts on how far back I should go?

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
Re: When did SW figures jump in quality?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:35:53 PM »

the figure's may have improved ,butttt the quality of the plastic continue's to GO WAYYY DOWN....the SPEEDER BIKE included w/ the NEW AT-AT has got to be one of the lowest quality piece's I've seen in a long time...man a few more like this and we will start finding HASBUTT STAR WARS @ our local dollar store....oh the thought!!

FETT1 :fett:

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:01:03 PM »

I would say the Star Wars line really improved in articulation and quality of sculpt when the 12 figures of the Vintage Collection line were released in 2004.

It was the first time that figures were produced with so many ball joints articulations. Before that time, figures started to have swivel elbow joints and ball joint necks, at most. But these 12 figures features articulations and likeliness beyond what we'd seen in past lines. I believe this was the start of the new era in Star Wars figures, as nowadays, figures with the quality of this VOTC line are plenty and are almost the norm.
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:36:51 AM »

I would say the Star Wars line really improved in articulation and quality of sculpt when the 12 figures of the Vintage Collection line were released in 2004.

It was the first time that figures were produced with so many ball joints articulations. Before that time, figures started to have swivel elbow joints and ball joint necks, at most. But these 12 figures features articulations and likeliness beyond what we'd seen in past lines. I believe this was the start of the new era in Star Wars figures, as nowadays, figures with the quality of this VOTC line are plenty and are almost the norm.

I agree. Although there were a lot of figures produced prior to the VOTC line that were really well sculpted I think the introduction of the higher price-point VOTC collection allowed Hasbro to experiment a little with better articulation. Todays figures are reaping the benefits of that particular line and it's also possible newer technologies (can't wait to see the new R2-D2) are playing a part in production now too. Look at The Clone Wars line. I'm quite sure the majority of the figures are generated from their 3D computer files.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »

What's up, innovation wise, with the new R2?

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 02:31:25 PM »

The new R2 is smaller and presumably more in scale with the newer figures, which, are smaller overall.

By my math, the figures underwent a significant design change earlier than the ones noted above. In the modern line, as far back as 1998 or so, there was a movement towards more realistic sculpts & away from the "He-Man" looking stuff starting with the wave that included this Luke:

http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2lukeblastshld.asp

The Power of the Jedi line, which followed the Episode I stuff, was when the figures took on more appropriate scaling - Leia being shortened, etc.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »

Haha, I have always thought that that Luke kinda had a zombie look to his face. Not the best, but steps above the He-Man look for sure.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

eifwen2009

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »

I have vintage carded figs with $2.99 on them, 1995 ones with $5.99 on them, and now $9.99. Time and money flies when you're having fun.
"Basca"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169063
  • Total Topics: 14341
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 37 queries.