Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 12:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

45 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 TVC Wave 2  (Read 5340 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
2010 TVC Wave 2
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »

Okay, my thoughts - and please be advised that I have only dealt with all of these figures CARDED.

I will divide the wave into 2 sections for ease of use: buyers & leavers. The buyers for me were the following, and I'll explain why:

THE BUYERS

1.) Darth Sidious/Palpatine

First off the face is very striking, let's leave it at that. For this sculpt alone, the figure felt fresh enough to me to warrant a purchase. The more I look at him, the more I'm happy with having spent the money - he looks JUST like he does in the film. Great work on this, Hasbro!

2.) Commander Cody

ONLY as a result of this figure being a repack of one I missed last year. Other than that, this figure would have easily fallen in with the leavers.

3.) Sandtrooper

Just to have a 2nd "newest" version Sandtrooper to go with my Dewback rider. I would certainly have preferred a few choices in pauldron colour though - maybe we'll see that down the road.

THE LEAVERS

This group can almost entirely be summed up as "been there done that" or "2005 called, they want their figures back".

1.) Grievous

As stated above, the figure has a much more appropriate scale than the initial GG figures - but this has been remedied, if you recall. The cape has really nice red/grey colouring and I MAY wind up springing for this figure down the road depending on what I read about him.

2.) Obi Wan

Looked exactly like the late-ROTS Pilot Obi Wan, which was re-released with Baby Luke in that exclusive Walmart (I believe it was WM anyhow) set. The figure includes a soft goods cape, but somehow again I'm sure I have this Obi Wan and this cape somewhere. It almost looked as though they changed the torso to a slightly thicker one, but I'm not sure. Not a significant enough departure to warrant a purchase.

3.) Anakin

This ROTS Anakin actually does look like a bit of a departure from previous ROTS versions, but the differences weren't positive in my eyes. This figure appears to have a removable hair section, allowing for a "burnt" version but I am not able to say for sure. If not, the hair is glued on as opposed to sculpted, and that would make no sense to me whatsoever. I'm calling this one "Big Head Ani" due to the horror I felt in seeing him, which reminded me of the horror I felt when I first saw Big Head vintage Han as a youngster.... similar, but grotesquely different from what I was used to.  :mad0218:

In the few I examined it looks as though there is significant "variety" in the amount of red touches used to create the sith eyes & cheek scar on this figure - make sure you have a look and pick one you like.

4.) ROTS Clonetrooper

I had a look at this guy alongside a legends 501'st repack, and it doesn't look as good as the classic ROTS 41 super-poseable sculpt in my eyes. Not sure if they used the AT-TE gunner legs/hips for this guy or what, but it's not as tight looking. The removable helmet, as always, makes the head look bigger than it ought to. Why on earth they wouldn't use the swappable heads like the Clone Wars Obi Wan in Clone armor is beyond me - I find that option infinitely better than the warpable, jumbo removable helmets. Also suffers from a slight bit of observable-chin-itis, at least on the ones that I saw (mind you, I was tipping them to check for that - on a shelf at eye level it won't show).

5.) Magna Guard

Piece of junk and/or crap, depending on your preferred verbage. I looked as this figure at length - the staff ends look terrible, the head is now sculpted to look as though the cape is partially draped over it but the colours don't come close to matching..... this figure is a travesty. I can't bring myself to talk about it further as a matter of fact.

RyDel

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 TVC Wave 2
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:11:59 PM »

I agree with most of what you said except for the Sidious figure. The head is too big scale wise and I can't stand that face sculpt. It looks silly. I really don't get understand how people are okay with the scale of the head though. It's almost twice as big when put beside other figures.

Then when it comes to the Magna Guard. I can say that I was please with it. It definitely has room for improvement, but it's the best version of them so far. I didn't have any of the previous versions because they didn't look to have very good articulation. So I'm pretty happy with the new vintage one.

I missed out on the Cody last year as well, but even if I hadn't I probably still would have pick up the vintage version because of the belt fix this time around.

I didn't need the new sandtrooper, but I wanted the weapons he came with.  :tongue0024:

Slizer 26

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:50:09 PM »

ALso the Magnaguard has a removable head wrapping. ITs been shown mulitiple times on the rebelscum forums with the wrapping on and off. otherwise i havent dealt with the wave, in person yet.

Jedi Jedd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • No reward is worth this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »

I found this wave at wal mart today too and picked up the sandtrooper as it was the only one I wanted. Anakin does have some improvements(ie ball jointed waist, ball jointed arms and of course the new head sculpt) but these are hindered in my opinion by the length of his monkey arms and the toupee type hairstyle.
The others hold no interest for me, but the emperor looked alright. The magna guard was very skinny...  :tongue0024:
I do not like green eggs and ham!

CloneCommander1138

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:35:37 PM »

So far I picked up the magnaguard, Cody, and Sandtrooper... they all are great. I may also get Darth Sidious, and possibly greivous (for the cape).
CC1138

Hoffman

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »

Has anybody else noticed a lot of yellow-helmeted Clone Troopers? I haven't seen a clean white one yet.

Slizer 26

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »

Yeah my cody has a yellowed/green helmet as well, and ive gotten everyone from the wave with the exception of the clone trooper. Couldnt bring my self to get another one. I think one of my favourites of the wave is Anakin.  Although with the exception of Obi-Wan they are all pretty great.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »

I have only found white troopers so far, no yellows around here... although not much left of this entire wave here.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 11:27:15 AM »

Has anybody else noticed a lot of yellow-helmeted Clone Troopers? I haven't seen a clean white one yet.

Do you mean the white plastic is off-coloured as in the white plastic is more yellow than the armor, or a proper yellow marked clone NCO? I haven't seen any variants other than plain white, but I've noticed some disparity in the "whiteness" of the helmets, as well as their "cleanness of sculpt" if that makes any sense. Some have seemed too big or warped in other words.

Hoffman

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:57:05 PM »

Sorry, I mean that the plastic is horribly yellowed.  Not just that it doesn't quite match, it looks VERY yellow.

Slizer 26

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »

I noticed the Yellowing helmet in the Hidden Enemy target battle pack as well, though only in rex's helemt, if you look for a bit you can find some better ones. My codys is an off yellow green, but its not as drastic as some ive seen.

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »

I noticed the Yellowing helmet in the Hidden Enemy target battle pack as well, though only in rex's helemt ...

This is also a problem with some of the latest single carded Rexes included in the Goji wave case. About a month ago the subject of yellowing plastic on current figures came up for discussion at Yakface http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5840 and BanthaSkull. At the time I hadn't noticed such a problem but lately I have seen more figures with this problem: the aforementioned TVC Episode III Clone Trooper and TVC Cody, some CW Codys (helmet) and some SL AOTC Clone Troopers (thighs).

Yakface tried to ask a question about the yellowing problem but Hasbro has not yet responded.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

mista_t13

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »

Iv noticed the yellowing wipes off, its almost a build up or scum on the plastic rather than the yellowing of older toys, if your a loose collector it wont be a problem but if your a boxed fanatic better watch out. Mine was only on commander cody's torse and the clonetrooper helmets. Maybe the mold wasnt clean?

Hoffman

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »

Oh really?  I should buy one just to check it out then.

hirokao

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »

Oh really?  I should buy one just to check it out then.

Have you check it out yet?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170144
  • Total Topics: 14398
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 37 queries.