Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 08:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

69 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AFA Grading  (Read 2626 times)

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
AFA Grading
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »

Earlier this week I had my first AFA graded figures show up, I bought them as a lot of six figures off ebay.  Having never seen first hand what an AFA graded figure looked like I was a little confused at the grades given to the figures.  Going only off pictures I have seen online over the past few years I had assumed certain levels of damage for certain grades, but the figures I got had grading that seemed inconsistant between the six figures.  One of the figures is Tie Fighter Pilot, and his grading was C75 B80 F80 overall Y75, the only flaw I can see for this card is that the bubble was pressed on askew and so it is not parallel to the side of the card.  I can see that as bringing the cardbacks number down, to 75 seems low but plauseable.  But then, another figure is Skiff Lando and his grading was C80 B80 F80 overall Y80, on this cardback there are several "defects", overall the card does look great but not as nice as the Tie Pilots.  The Lando has a noticable wave in the card above the helmet part of the bubble if looked at from the side, there is also a small crease in the bottom right corner.  On the back of the card you can see some stress lines and a small scuff mark.  Also, the bubble was given an 80, yet there is a very small crack below one of his feet, it doesn't seem like that damage could have happened after it was sealed in the acrylic case.  A Biker Scout that came in the lot was also given an 80 for its bubble and it too has a small crack below one of his feet.

So how does the Tie Pilot get such low scores, and Lando gets an overall 80 with so many minor but noticable defects? How do cracked bubbles get 80's?  Has anyone else noticed this on any figures you have purchased pre AFA'd or on figures you have sent away to be graded?

Overall, all the figures look great and I'm totally satisfied with them but I'm not as confident in AFA scores as I was before.

I'll try to post pictures later if I can take ones that show what I'm talking about.
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

Nighttrain

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • One more time tonight..
    • View Profile
Re: AFA Grading
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »

I'll preface this by saying I am not an AFA fan. No matter what they say they have no regard for the collecting community and only care about their bottom line. They've destroyed too many one of a kind and rare items for their stupid "U" grade. As an example someone recently got AFA to rip open a MOC AFA 70 vinyl caped Jawa to get the loose figure graded U90.

Frankly I could careless what AFA grades things. From the sounds of it you are just as capable of telling what condition figures are in so I wouldn't sorry about the numbers they gave you....unless you are collecting AFA numbers and not the figures themselves.

Sounds like the Biker Scout bubble must've cracked after the fact. Usually any crack bring down the bubble and overall grade significantly....or they missed, they've made bigger mistakes.
Well I'm a west coast struttin'
One bad mother
Got a rattlesnake suitcase
Under my arm
Said I'm a mean machine
Been drinkin' gasoline
And honey you can make my motor hum

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »

Frankly I could careless what AFA grades things. From the sounds of it you are just as capable of telling what condition figures are in so I wouldn't sorry about the numbers they gave you....unless you are collecting AFA numbers and not the figures themselves.

The numbers don't bother me, they just confuse me. I bought these figures as a lot and they had already been graded.  I got them because all six figures were ones that I still needed for my carded collection, and after shipping charges all six broke down to $62.  Considering that with shipping charges it would cost almost that much just to have a figure graded it was a good deal. 

The acrylic cases are awesome.  I have no intrest in having my collection AFA'd, but I might end up putting out the coin to get thoses style cases for my other figures. They display the figures much nicer than starcases.

Sounds like the Biker Scout bubble must've cracked after the fact. Usually any crack bring down the bubble and overall grade significantly....or they missed, they've made bigger mistakes.

I don't think that the damage could have happened after it was graded because the figure is tight inside the bubble and doesn't have room to slide up and down.  I shook the cases back and forth a bit to see if it would move the figure around but it didn't.

I'm also onboard with the banning of AFA U loose figures.  I can't believe they offer that service.  It's like poaching an endangered species.

Nighttrain

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • One more time tonight..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »

Ya, for sure the acrylic cases make your collection look better. Check out Oscar Cases from Mexico on eBay. He's pretty much the go to guy.

$62 bucks? Good deal!
Well I'm a west coast struttin'
One bad mother
Got a rattlesnake suitcase
Under my arm
Said I'm a mean machine
Been drinkin' gasoline
And honey you can make my motor hum

Shane Turgeon

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Vintage Or Death
    • View Profile
    • Tattoos and Toys
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »

Of course there are going to be inconsistencies in their grading. It's all done by different people, at different times. Therein lies one of the inherent problems with grading services.

One of the major downfalls with AFA is that the figures can very much crack the bubble during shipping and i'd bet that's what happened with the Biker Scout.

There's no doubt figures look better encased in acrylic but i second recommending Oscar's over getting your figured graded.
Your Toys...Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com
Staff Member
www.rebelscum.com

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »

I'll preface this by saying I am not an AFA fan. No matter what they say they have no regard for the collecting community and only care about their bottom line. They've destroyed too many one of a kind and rare items for their stupid "U" grade. As an example someone recently got AFA to rip open a MOC AFA 70 vinyl caped Jawa to get the loose figure graded U90.

I' m totally in agreement...I sent in a HOCKEY CARD to BECKETT GRADING  many year's ago to get graded ...it came back ok,but I wondered if I resent the card ...would it come back with the same grade..???would it be graded by the same grader???..NO IDEA...
I DO LIKE how some companies present the item in the air tight case ...that can add to the look of said item!
 :fett:

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »

One of the major downfalls with AFA is that the figures can very much crack the bubble during shipping and i'd bet that's what happened with the Biker Scout.

I re-checked the bubble on the Biker Scout.  There is a 'crack' but it's on the corner-side of the bubble where there was a very slight dent, not under the foot.  The crack is in a v-shape but its tiny.  It would have definitely been there when it was graded.  I'm having problems with my usb ports so I can't get a photo to show it.

Rotaxxx

• <A+ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Selling my collection..contact me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »

If you got 6 AFA graded figs shipped to you for 62 bucks, you better go buy a lottery ticket because you are 1 lucky SOB :tongue0024:  luv to see some pics..

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »

If you got 6 AFA graded figs shipped to you for 62 bucks, you better go buy a lottery ticket because you are 1 lucky SOB :tongue0024:  luv to see some pics..

Lol, yes 62 bucks for all six would have been sweet, but it was $62 each.  Still a fair deal in my opinion, and I'll will grab a lotto ticket.  I'll try to post pictures this weekend through my gf's computer.

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »

Finally able to get the photo's uploaded.  The crack is definitely from a ding and not from the foot of the figure hitting it, it would have been there when it was graded.  It's not really a full crack, it's more like a hairline fracture.  Still, I would have thought that would have been enough for it to be knocked down to the seventies. :confused0024:

Morgbug

• <A+++ Trader> Grumpy
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • grumpy and old
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »

I just can't justify sending anything to AFA for these reasons and more.  The cost involved is fine, but the shipping and then risking having to pay customs fees on your own item coming back across the border?  Blech. 

The worst though is the story McKillop had about sending in his Toy Fair Vader to be graded and he is pretty much positive they sent him back a different, and lower quality, graded TF Vader.  Basically I don't think you can trust them, at least based on that story.
what?  I'm cranky.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »

I was worried about that exact same thing when I dropped 3 of my (bloody valuable) comics off for cgc grading. I made sure to catalogue a few "unique" things about each book so that I'd be certain they were all mine when they came back - luckily for me, they were.

NerfherderLover

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »

Speaking of AFA cases, anyone know of a  Canadian supplier of Acrylic Cases or Star Cases for vintage figures?  I'd prefer Acrylic, but would like to avoid friggin' custom charges on bulk orders.  There used to be a guy here in Toronto for Star Cases, but he's no more.  boo hoo....

I am also not a fan of AFA.  I have quite a few figures I'd like to send in, mostly to protect them even more in acrylic, but don't trust their scores, or even putting my 'precious' in the mail.  I'm scared of damaging them.....
You haven't truly loved, until you've loved a nerfherder.

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »

Speaking of AFA cases, anyone know of a  Canadian supplier of Acrylic Cases or Star Cases for vintage figures?  I'd prefer Acrylic, but would like to avoid friggin' custom charges on bulk orders.  There used to be a guy here in Toronto for Star Cases, but he's no more.  boo hoo....

I can't personally vouch for this company, and it's not Canadian, but as Shane mentioned earlier in this thread a company called Oscar's sells them for a decent price so it may offset your custom and shipping charges enough to justify the purchase.http://www.oscarscases.com/cases.cfm?id=SWV  As for star cases, I'd like to find a local supplier as well.  Golden Aged Toys has some of the style 2 star cases (deep bubble). http://www.goldenagetoys.com/store/supplies/index.html  Not sure if Legends carries any, i couldn't find any on their website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169081
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 69
Total: 72

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.