Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 12:41:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TVC Wave 5  (Read 3286 times)

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
TVC Wave 5
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »

This is my first figure review, so we will see how it goes. As a repaint wave with some 'new' stuff thrown in, I don't think this an all bad wave. Not perfect, but not as awful as I had first thought when I saw it. I don't have Commander Gree or the Stormtrooper from this wave so I didn't review them.

Luke - This is basicly a repaint of the Resurgence Luke with a new head, belt and soft goods skirt. I like this figure. The new head sculpt they gave him looks great. One thing that kinda bugs me about him though, are his legs. They are way too small and short. He is still a pretty good figure, in my opinion. But he stands so much shorter than he should. It doesn't really destroy the figure for me though, I was planning on putting him in the new Landspeeder that Hasbro will eventually put out. Other than the leg issue, a great looking figure.

Han - Han is Han. He is not screen accurate, but I like this figure. I never picked up the 2009 Legacy Han Solo, so it technically it is new to me. I was always uncertain about the head that this Han has. But after actually seeing it in person, it isn't all that bad. To me this looks more like Han in the Cantina getting ready to blast Greedo. And that is where I will put him in my collection. In the end, not a very exciting figure.

Yoda - I think Yoda is the real winner in this wave. He is a far greater figure than his predecessors. He is pretty close to being the perfect ROTS Yoda I think. His head sculpt looks amazing in person, Hasbro did a really good job on it. I stood him next to my ROTS Saga Legends Yoda and it is like night and day. Everything about this Yoda is good. I highly recommend this figure.

Clone Trooper (212 Battalion) - An obvious repaint of the TVC ROTS Clonetrooper. I think this is a pretty good figure, I picked up quite a few if the ROTS Clones. The somewhat over sized helmet doesn't bother me very much. The yellowish/greenish helmet doesn't bother very much either. And yes the 212th has the same helmet colour issue. Not too sure why Hasbro hasn't made steps to fix it though. One bad thing about this figure is, the orange on his armour doesn't seem to match up with Cody's orange. I loved the picture they picked for his card. All in all, this is a great army builder.

R5-D4 - R5-D4 is a a repaint of the R5 Build a Droid parts. This is my first figure of this droid and I was pretty excited to get him. He does come fairly clean, but mine looks like he is a little 'off' white. Not sure if it is intentional or not. Pretty good figure. Kinda feel jipped a little bit, because BAD figures were pack ins at one time, and a now to pay full price for one, was kinda odd. He does look awesome on his card though. Very sweet.

One great thing about this wave, is that they all look amazing on their cards. The pictures that Hasbro picked for each character along with the Vintage cardbacks, make this wave look stunning together. It is funny that I say this, because I opened all of these and threw out the cards. So all I have are the figures. But they looked amazing while I admired them on their cards. This wave isn't coming to Canada, maybe that is a good thing. I am glad I did get a few of them though, Yoda really surprised me.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

RyDel

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
Re: TVC Wave 5
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »

I can't open them they look so good on their cards.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »

It is funny that I say this, because I opened all of these and threw out the cards.

You threw them away?! But you could still display the cardbacks, they are actually nice enough to be worth looking at, unlike so many previous lines. I'm an opener too, but I will be keeping these cardbacks to use as wallpaper behind my figure displays. Hopefully I can get my hands on wave 5 & 6 ones!

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »

It is funny that I say this, because I opened all of these and threw out the cards.

You threw them away?! But you could still display the cardbacks, they are actually nice enough to be worth looking at, unlike so many previous lines. I'm an opener too, but I will be keeping these cardbacks to use as wallpaper behind my figure displays. Hopefully I can get my hands on wave 5 & 6 ones!

Hmm, to be honest Wedge, I never even thought of keeping them to put on display. Now I am feeling kinda stupid. These Vintage cards look great! And wave 5 looks amazing! I am really regreting throwing them out now. In the future I will most certainly be keeping the cardbacks.
My Have/Want list:

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:57:02 PM »

Hmm, to be honest Wedge, I never even thought of keeping them to put on display. Now I am feeling kinda stupid. These Vintage cards look great! And wave 5 looks amazing! I am really regreting throwing them out now. In the future I will most certainly be keeping the cardbacks.

Actually, I am always amazed/envious of someone who can throw things out. I always have such a hard time pitching things, I'm a real packrat. Even things that I will never look at and are of no value tend to sit in a box somewhere for years until I move into a new place or clean out a closet or two. Then the process begins anew!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »

Got the Han, I'm calling him "after party" Han because they didn't choose to use the closed-neck shirt (even though they had a body they could have re-used from Smuggler Lando from a couple of years ago). He's fine, no big whoop.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »

Haha, 'after part' Han seems to fit very well.
My Have/Want list:

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Watch out for rodents with lightsabers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »

I would like to add a few lines to this review regarding our dear friend TVC41 Stormtrooper:

The wave 5 Stormtrooper seems to have a unibrow.  All the other stormtroopers I've seen from recent lines have a line of white between the black eyes of the helmet and the black line on the helmet.  Not this one for some reason.  Aside from looking like the angriest stromtrooper ever, great looking figure and no yellowing of the parts whatsoever.

PS I am a packaging hoarder as well...
"Enjoy your action figures guys...and remember, they're not dolls"

jediburrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:54:42 PM »

The "unique eyebrow feature" is a characteristic of some removable helmets since the TAC : 20 stormtrooper. TLC Luke stormtrooper shares it whilst TLC Han Stormtrooper and TLC Spacetrooper doesn't.

- TAC stormtrooper

- TLC Luke Stormtroopers

- TLC Han Stormtrooper

- TLC Spacetrooper

Darth McAdam

• Administrator
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 12:17:43 AM »

What a relief!  I thought I was the only one, lol!  Only today I was putting some packaging (from a couple of vehicles mostly) in the garage and my wife asked me what was in the boxes.  When I said more boxes, she gave me a strange look and then said "are you kidding me?"; I guess she just doesn't get it..... ;)
http://www.rebelscum.com/ - Star Wars Collecting

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:44:15 PM »

You are not alone... I paid for that cardboard and I'm keeping it!  :)
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

eifwen2009

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:31 AM »

You are not alone... I paid for that cardboard and I'm keeping it!  :)

I'm the same way. I have some of those cards that duracell or energiser put out a few years back still in their packagaing. They aren't worth anything, yet I can't seem to throw them out. I'm not sure what they are called, but they change their appearance when you move them in front of you. Its Star Wars, man, lol

:r2d2line:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:11:52 AM by eifwen2009 »
"Basca"

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »

I would like to add a few lines to this review regarding our dear friend TVC41 Stormtrooper:

The wave 5 Stormtrooper seems to have a unibrow.  All the other stormtroopers I've seen from recent lines have a line of white between the black eyes of the helmet and the black line on the helmet.  Not this one for some reason.  Aside from looking like the angriest stromtrooper ever, great looking figure and no yellowing of the parts whatsoever.

Other than the better articulation, I'm not loving this version. The helmet on the ones I have are all yellower than the rest of the body. The helmet fits awkwardly and is extremely loose and overall I'd say a weak figure. Plus, why the ESB card rather than SW? I would have loved the articulation minus the removable helmet. Or one that was simply better because past Stormtroopers have had better helmets than this one!

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 09:16:34 PM »

Other than the better articulation, I'm not loving this version. The helmet on the ones I have are all yellower than the rest of the body. The helmet fits awkwardly and is extremely loose and overall I'd say a weak figure. Plus, why the ESB card rather than SW? I would have loved the articulation minus the removable helmet. Or one that was simply better because past Stormtroopers have had better helmets than this one!

The newest Stormtrooper variation included in the Target/Zellers exclusives "Villains" 3-pack is a huge improvement over the one released as part of TVC Wave 5: not only does it have the same good ball joint articulation at the hips, but it does feature a bright white helmet with corrected eyes visor. This is a great buy, just for that Stormy. :-)

"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169102
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 55
Total: 57

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 38 queries.