Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 04:19:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

58 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: ORDERING STAR WARS ONLINE? BEWARE! (Work Stoppage at Canada Post)  (Read 12491 times)

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

This post is mainly for you fellow trooper that order online and from speciality stores. I work for Canada Post and we are now negotiating to sign a new collective bargain with the Company. It isn't going well, the union requested a mediator because Canada Post didn't want to negotiate but impose his demands. At the end of april, both the strike or lock out are a possibility.

It is my 3rd negotiation and there was no work stoppage the previous 2 times. I hope that we wont have one this time. I don't know what will happen with the delivery of parcels if there's a work stoppage, but considering that they have to replace us, 55 000 employees, by people that don't know the job, good luck with the parcels.

I juste wanted to let you know so that if you expect packages at that time (considering that the next waves aren't coming many will order online) you can perhaps make arrangements to take an alternate way.

Either way, if there's a Strike or Lock Out, I'll know 72 hours before being effective, so I'll tell you then.

EDITED: Title updated to show relevance to Star Wars collecting. - jj
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:03:12 AM by jjreason »

darthric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Work Stoppage at Canada Post
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:55:06 PM »

Thanks for the info....

Hope you and Canada Post will find an agreement...the majority of my figures transit by Canada Post. :snowtroopers:
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try !

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »

Wow, you deliver packages?

NO disrespect to you, but for the last 10 years I have been having trouble with Canada Post and delivering packages to my place. I think they are tired of me calling them, and complaining. And these are good reasons why I complain. I went all the way to the top, will see this time if it stops.

I have a friend who works for Canada Post also, and he cant believe the trouble I have been having. And he agrees that they are messing up, and not just me being picky.

Just placed an order on the weekend, and CP didnt deliver it, but UPS did....hahaha.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Goldenrod. It will be interesting/frustrating to see what takes place in the next few months or so.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

RyDel

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:54:18 PM »

My figures are crossed for you and all of us collectors.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:04:26 PM »

Yeah I hope it gets sorted too - I appreciate the workers' need to be heard, but it always seems that everyone loses in a strike - the workers have to wait for years before the increased wages or benefits make up for what they lost by not working for the days/weeks/months they were out for. Here's to cooler heads prevailing, best of luck with it.  :u:

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »

Wow, you deliver packages?

NO disrespect to you, but for the last 10 years I have been having trouble with Canada Post and delivering packages to my place. I think they are tired of me calling them, and complaining. And these are good reasons why I complain. I went all the way to the top, will see this time if it stops.

I have a friend who works for Canada Post also, and he cant believe the trouble I have been having. And he agrees that they are messing up, and not just me being picky.

Just placed an order on the weekend, and CP didnt deliver it, but UPS did....hahaha.

No offense taken. If you think that your mailman isn't doing his jib properly, then you have every right to complain.

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:53:52 PM »

It got so bad, the boss said one time "is this Geoff", yup. I went straight to the top. I got a phone number that I wasnt suppose to get..heh heh heh. Like I said, I will see if they can deliver a package with getting right to the top. I ordered something from amazon, but they sent it UPS. Im tempted to send me an emptied box just to see what happens.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »

Hello,

The vote for the strike is currently running through Canada. Results will be posted april 15th. Since we are in election mode in the country, the general governor can use his power to prevent a strike or lock-out during that period, and we beleive he will use it, and if he use it, then the work stoppage can be in early june.

I found this on the net, it's Canada post corporation act http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-10/ in there you will learn that Canada Post must be self-sufficient, so none of our taxes are used to pay our salaries. In 2009, canada Post mad around $289 millions in profit.... but instead of using that money to improve service to the population, that gave execs bonuses, raised prices, cut jobs to raise that profit margin and the population suffers in quality of the service.

Anyway, am not here to do canada post's trial, but let's just say that Canada Post belongs to every Canadian.

Jedi Jedd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • No reward is worth this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »

Anyway, am not here to do canada post's trial, but let's just say that Canada Post belongs to every Canadian.

This is so true. I mean it's the mail. Everyone uses it and would say it almost boarders on a basic need type thing like utilities etc.
I do not like green eggs and ham!

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »

Yep! Just today I went to mail somethings, one to the US and one to BC...guess which cost more?! Why? Isn't the point of having such a system to facilitate communication and delivery across this great big and "unified" country of ours? Shouldn't the costs be a bit more shared across the board? Anyway, I just find it ridiculous that I'll get parcels from the US showing like $3 in postage costs and if I sent that same parcel back it would probably cost me $7! I lose so many potential sales from US people because of this stupidity.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:19:53 PM »

Yep! Just today I went to mail somethings, one to the US and one to BC...guess which cost more?! Why? Isn't the point of having such a system to facilitate communication and delivery across this great big and "unified" country of ours? Shouldn't the costs be a bit more shared across the board? Anyway, I just find it ridiculous that I'll get parcels from the US showing like $3 in postage costs and if I sent that same parcel back it would probably cost me $7! I lose so many potential sales from US people because of this stupidity.
A lot of it is economies of scale. The US is a huge population so they can mail stuff cheap. I also spoke with someone a few months ago at a wedding who is an employee of the British post office and he said the US is ridiculously cheap compared to anywhere else in the world. Purely anecdotal, so I don't know how true it is, but it makes sense. While I agree it sucks, and that perhaps the difference seems pretty extreme, there are some legit reasons why it is more expensive to mail stuff in Canada.

slags4

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »

Take a look at the financial situation of the USPS as well, completely in the tank.  Projecting huge cutbacks (losing Saturday delivery as an example, along with staffing) and while Canada Post isn't entirely sitting pretty, we're doing okay.  I'd like to see them bring in tracking/delivery confirmation at a lower price point.  I mean, once the software is in place, it's just adding a barcode to the mailing label.  The US have it for most sending styles, yet for us you're looking at around $25 before it becomes offered.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »

A lot of it is economies of scale. The US is a huge population so they can mail stuff cheap. I also spoke with someone a few months ago at a wedding who is an employee of the British post office and he said the US is ridiculously cheap compared to anywhere else in the world. Purely anecdotal, so I don't know how true it is, but it makes sense. While I agree it sucks, and that perhaps the difference seems pretty extreme, there are some legit reasons why it is more expensive to mail stuff in Canada.

True, but when you hear about how the profits are handled from an insider's perspective it kind of makes you wonder if we couldn't still be getting a better shake here at least reduced rates, better tracking (as mentioned above), etc. Not to mention keeping people employed and working for us! Oh and on a similar topic, if anyone has any advice on how to use Canada Post to safely sell stuff on ebay (so I can use info for fighting paypal payment fraud attempts) that would be great! I got ripped off in the past because buyers did not want to pay for tracking and then claimed the item never arrived but it seems Canada Post now offers some sort of ebay-mailer box with tracking and wanted to know if paypal considers it enough proof. Don't have to discuss it here, just send me a message! Thanks!

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »

Take a look at the financial situation of the USPS as well, completely in the tank.  Projecting huge cutbacks (losing Saturday delivery as an example, along with staffing) and while Canada Post isn't entirely sitting pretty, we're doing okay.  I'd like to see them bring in tracking/delivery confirmation at a lower price point.  I mean, once the software is in place, it's just adding a barcode to the mailing label.  The US have it for most sending styles, yet for us you're looking at around $25 before it becomes offered.

The worst part is that Canada Post is using USPS as an exemple on how we should work....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169436
  • Total Topics: 14376
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 58
Total: 61

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.