Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2018, 06:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

56 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: new vintage collection y-wing?  (Read 4612 times)

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
new vintage collection y-wing?
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:39 PM »

was that ever announced?

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: new vintage collection y-wing?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:20 PM »

well it looks the same as the most recent one i have, right down to the droid & mullet-haired pilot. I've not seen that box mock-up though, i'm quite sure.

jediburrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:31:09 PM »

Although rumoured, the re-tooled Y-wing still hasn't been announced. The "new vintage" box is a "photoshop" montage made by Darklord1967. It's still unknown why the German etailer "Toy Palace" used these images, but the box is a fake (and the Y-wing + figures shown are from the 2006 SAGA2 release)

It's been talked about in the Y-Wing (New Tooling) thread at rebelscum (05/04/11)

or you can directly see the box at action figure insider where Darklord's first posted it in 2008!! He also did a fake Jabba's throne vintage box.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:44:52 PM by jediburrick »

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »

as far as I know this is supposed to be a TRU exclusive in the fall or christmas season sometime.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 01:06:11 PM »

New pics up at http://www.sandtroopers.com/sandwatch/hasbro/20110606/

As previously mentioned, looks like a POTF/TAC Y-wing with some retooling. I would have preferred a larger, completely new version, but this still looks OK.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »

Neat. A red stripes Y-Wing. I would have preferred a remake of the Gold Leader version with gray body and yellow stripes, 'cause I passed on it when it was released a few years ago. But the fact that the cockpit got reworked, and the fact that it comes with a functional socket for the Astromech droid, makes me wanna buy one for sure. It's definitely a nice tribute to the Die cast version released in the Vintage era. I'm wondering if Hasbro will want to go the extent of including two versions of the Bomb: one gray and one red, the later one giving collectors the possibility to reproduced the vintage Die Cast toy.

I would have hoped for some electronics, but I undertsand it would have brought the price points to a higher level. At least, I would have given the ship extended struts, or maybe slightly retooled body to extend the "wing" or "Y" span, which would have given the ship, if not a proper scale, at least a more "realistic" look.

Anyhow, it's a must buy for me. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:10:19 PM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Watch out for rodents with lightsabers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »

I never had a Y-wing as a kid and it was my favorite ship.  I also never found a POTF one had given up collecting when TAC was readily available.  I was excited about this VC Y-wing; however like JP, I would have prefered the Gold Leader version, as it is in my opinion, more iconic.  That being said, I don't think I will be able to pass up getting this ship for my collection.
"Enjoy your action figures guys...and remember, they're not dolls"

Brinn 71

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Snowtroopers do it better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:25:43 AM »

ARGH!  What a waste!  Great looking vehicle, but the next Y-Wing I buy will be a larger one to match up with the Clone Wars Y-Wing Bomber.  Sorry Hasbro.  :shakehead:
I AM CANADIAN!

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »

ARGH!  What a waste!  Great looking vehicle, but the next Y-Wing I buy will be a larger one to match up with the Clone Wars Y-Wing Bomber.  Sorry Hasbro.  :shakehead:

I doubt that will happen anytime soon. I mean, I'm pretty sure the Clone Wars Bomber barely made it in terms of revenues. And it was targetted to both kids and colelctors, was supported by a very appreciated TV series. And while collectors are very fond of it, remolding the old Y-Wing to a larger scale, with the impacts on the economics (higher price point), especially if the ship is not supported by any type of media (TV or movie), will not likely have the ship make the cut from Hasbro's standpoint. I'm very pessimistic about it. Especially when they could have done it right now. Re-releasing the ship using the same old mold for the last two releases just proves that Hasbro is not considering a larger scale upgraded version either a priority, or a viable option.

So for me, this one's gonna be it. It's the ultimate version, at least for the next 3-4 years.

"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 11:33:34 PM »

I've already got the nice yellow one... I'll be saving my pennies for the B-Wing.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

jediburrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 11:49:07 PM »

I've already got the nice yellow one... I'll be saving my pennies for the B-Wing.

I have the yellow too, so no reddie for me. I was hopping for a BMF versioin of it. BTW, no B-Wing neither since I already have the POTF 2 one.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:24:14 AM »

For some reason, I am just not very excited for this. I don't have any Y-Wings yet, but I have always loved the ships design. But there is just something about this one that just looks off. It looks too small to me. I am sure I will eventually pick one up if I find it cheap[ down the road, but I would have wanted one a little closer to scale. I do however love the box!
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »

For some reason, I am just not very excited for this. I don't have any Y-Wings yet, but I have always loved the ships design. But there is just something about this one that just looks off. It looks too small to me.

It's a nice vehicle and the new droid slot and detailing is a bonus but not enough for me to grab a new one. I'd definitely recommend getting one for people who don't have the last version even though the new colour is a bit sucky IMO.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

I feel exactly the same as you, Mit_Othy. While I also have no OT Y-wing yet, I find I am not super-excited for this one. Perhaps it is because I had been expecting a larger completely retooled one. While the box is neat, I'm more interested in the toy inside being the best possible, and I'd have to say this won't be. Like you though, I'll still pick one up on sale somewhere. It's not likely now that there will be a properly scaled version coming our way anytime soon, so I might as well get what I can.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »

Don't know if a change such as this would be popular with the kids, but it could be fun if on future releases of x-wings and y-wings they add intakes for refueling...and eventually add a rebel hanger "fueling" unit...to recreate those fun tense moments of seeing the ground crew prep them for take off!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169375
  • Total Topics: 14374
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 56
Total: 57

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 38 queries.