Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 02:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

71 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Blockbuster Canada in big trouble...  (Read 4454 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: Blockbuster Canada in big trouble...
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »

New update - not a good one for a lot of employees. On Friday morning we had a conference call and were told that 150 stores in Canada will be closing in 2 weeks. Luckily, my store is not one of them. That being said, with that many stores, it equals out to ~ 1500 people who just lost their jobs. I know locally (Durham) that North Ajax, and Whites Road are gone. Liverpool Rd, South Ajax, Brooklin, and Whitby Mall stores remain. They say that they are doing this to make the company more inticing for a potential buyer (all stores will now be pulling a profit) but it sucks for the guys in stores that got shut. A lot of them were friends of mine. I have had a feeling of sickness for the unlucky stores, mixed with a sense of relief that I (for now) still have a job to go to.

My gf preordered the sw blu for me in Jan. She paid for it in full at BB. I told her then that might not have been the best idea. We got a refund. What would happen in that case, if we didn't get a refund? Would we be out that money? Would another store honor the preorder? Also, what happens when I have BB gift cards? And blockbuster video games? Let me guess, I would be out of luck, but blockbuster would send me to collections for their rentals that I still have.....

You would be an unsecured creditor - so once all the secured creditors get all their money - you and your staff of lawyers can fight for your share.  I was burned by another video rental company that went out of business - so don't buy gift cards or deposit to BB .
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

NorthernSolo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Hey - It's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »

Wow. Now the US branch of the company is telling us we have to change our name and can't call ourselves Blockbuster anymore, or use any copyrighted material, programs, or software.... :sign0065:
There isn't enough product on these shelves to fill a space cruiser!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »

Allow me to suggest Blokcbuster (TM), and I'd recommend a change from blue & yellow to yellow with blue. The software I'm not so good at.  :speechless-smiley-004:

Seriously though - and sorry to joke, I know it's a tough time - why on earth would they want to set you guys back like this?

Radiation74

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »

Allow me to suggest Blokcbuster (TM), and I'd recommend a change from blue & yellow to yellow with blue. The software I'm not so good at.  :speechless-smiley-004:

Seriously though - and sorry to joke, I know it's a tough time - why on earth would they want to set you guys back like this?

Setback? I'm assuming blockbuster is one and the same, BB USA goes bye bye, so does BB can. Changing the name prior will let them stay open in Canada.

NorthernSolo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Hey - It's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »

It's a friggin mess guys. Word on the street now has it if they strip us of our name, etc - it'll drop the value of the company, so the starting bid of 30 mil will be more like 5 mil. Then dish could step in, buy us, and then let us take back the name, having grabbed the entire company for pocket change. Worry is, when that happens, they might just liquidate the whole damn thing. Job hunting commenced.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »

Good call, I hope it's as painless as possible. :(

richd

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I ain't no stinkin' llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »

Movie Gallery in Canada got hit by this same problem - the US stores went under and took down the Canadian stores (though the CDN ones were doing really well). I got some nice shelving out of it but I actually really missed my local store (great people).

NorthernSolo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Hey - It's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »

Dish is screwed re: Canada IMO.

So Dish screws back.

The CRTC most likely axed any move Dish could make via on demand and programming up here. As a payback for that, Dish is basically trying to destroy our company.

The fact they are now saying after 21 years - "You can't call yourself Blockbuster Video, or use anything related to that company - including the business model (thanks, I'd love to revamp that myself!!) or the software. (???)

The whole thing to me is a petty move, which would basically do little for Dish, since we operate in different countries? :crazy:

Hopefully the judge on June 2 will overrule the whole thing.  :happy0025:

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:45:10 AM by Wedge1021 »

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 01:13:08 AM »

That's really unfortunate.  The store where I live has a great staff and i certainly hope they, and the rest of the staff at all the BBV can find new jobs quickly.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

stopped in my local store and they should know by Tues what the timeline is for closing, could be as soon as next weekend that they stop rentals and everything goes on sale.  Very sad.4

Interestingly enough, I was shown part of a letter to all staff that a "New Blockbuster" could be opening in the future to provide Canadians with rental and purchase options. May be that Dish Network will reopen with the BB name after the current stores have closed.  They could then hire all the former staff at reduced salaries and those staff would also lose all the benefits (vacation weeks) that they have earned over the years.  Bad business practice IMO

Radiation74

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »

I am so glad I got my money back on my sw bluray set. That would have been bad.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »

Will they be selling the shelving units? There was a nice display case I was looking at.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

NorthernSolo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Hey - It's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 09:04:43 AM »

Canada is not ready for a world without video stores yet.

What my biggest concern is, is the social interaction aspect of all that's happening. It's almost as tho the big corporations are pushing everyone to the point of never leaving their homes again.

Think about it. Years back, it was the arcades that went. Gone are the days when you'd meet up with a bunch of buddies after school and head to the arcade and have a Mortal Kombat tourney. Just hanging out with friends, listening to music and gaming. This is all done at home thanks to the consoles, which in turn has created a large group of obese, pale-skinned kids who cringe at the sight of daylight...

Record stores. The days are gone where on any given pay day, I would head down to the local store and spend an hour or so flipping thru albums, and talking to the employees about music and what was new and good. Now, everyone simply downloads their stuff and never has to leave their house. It is to the point where I heard a 14 year old actually ask once "What's an LP?"

Now, it is the good old video store. Wanna see a movie? Try and find it online or on -demand now. Behind the scenes stuff? Not on Netflix or On-Demand. Director Commentary? Nope. 1080p? Not unless you fork out the $20-$30 and BUY the film. Remember the days of going to the video store and spotting the cover art for some film you'd never heard of and then having the chat with the guy at the store about what new flicks were good and which weren't? Those days are gone. Classic movies will now become collector's items. Wanna watch "Bridge on the River Kwai"? Unless AMC is showing it at 2am, you're not gonna find it on demand. Appreciation of GOOD CINEMA is now finished IMO. Kids nowadays are gonna be spoon fed the latest Hollywood trash, and will end up not even knowing about classic films or actors. As one kid at BBV put it once "If it's in B&W it's a boring movie."

Anyone wanna guess what will be next? I'm guessing the book stores and movie theatres!! Overall, this is a sad indication of where society is headed. We are headed towards an era of acronyms in place of actual words, of texting instead of actually having a conversation, and now our entertainment options don't even require us to put on a pair of pants and actually have to venture outside our house. Remember the people in Wall-E? Anyone feel that's EXACTLY where we're headed? Maybe I'm just old fashioned - maybe I'm trying in vain to cling to the trappings of my youth, and maybe I'm just being too cynical, but it's sad to think of what is yet to come.

On a side note, with BBV closing, the ripple effect is going to put a LOT of people aside from just the folks in the stores outta work. Think of the vendors, delivery companies, etc whose main client for over 20 years has been BBV.  :'(

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 11:38:39 AM »

^  Best post I've seen on here yet! ^

I nominate NorthernSolo for Snowtrooper of the Year  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169063
  • Total Topics: 14341
  • Online Today: 69
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 71
Total: 71

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 37 queries.