Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 04:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

53 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel's Civil War  (Read 4775 times)

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Marvel's Civil War
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »

So I thought I would ask this here, since I think there are quite a few on this board who follow comics fairly closely.

A friend of mine recomended the Civil War series to me. He said it was one of the best story arcs he has read in a long time. I know some of the storyline, but not a whole bunch. Anyways, I went online to see if I could order a few of the collected editions, (I live in a small town with no comic shop nearby) :( and I realized there are a bunch of them. Captain America, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Frontline and so on. More than I had expected. Now my question is, in what order should I read them in? Do they all kinda intertwine together? Or does the order really matter? Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thanks alot.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel's Civil War
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »

Unless someone has a quicker better answer mine would be to stick to the New Avengers and a few of the trades with Civil War in the title but NOT necessarily the tie-ins of regular on-going series. I found that very hit and miss (Spiderman or whatever). The actual series "Civil War" is a must, Frontline was ok too from what I recall. I was already reading New Avengers so I might be biased plus it was more or less Bendis's baby. There was the Illuminati special which tied in and I actually have only read some of the Cap and Ironman one's more recently and I didn't find they really offered me much more than was going on in the Avengers stuff, but it was fun enough and the Bruebaker Cap stuff is really great IMO all on its own.

I did not read any of the FF, X-men, Thunderbolts, Ms Marvel etc and did not find myself lost at all. But maybe I missed out on some decent stories, dunno.

Oh and I found this if it helps:
http://fans.marvel.com/go/thread/view/108222/23305374/?pg=last

And lastly, if you figure out what you want, do a rough calculation of the total cost. If it is something beyond a year subscription to Marvel Digital, $60, just go verify they have digitized all the Civil War stuff and then go for that! I bought a subscription recently and it is great fun! i just wish I had more time to get on there and read all those nuggets from my childhood comic-o-holic days! I'd be surprised if all of the Civil War wasn't digitized however. Plus, if you get the subscription using the archangel code you get a coupon to order an exclusive Archangel figure! It's win-win really.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:49:49 PM by sinkie »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »

I agree with sinkie, he had some great suggestions. Definitely read the Civil War main title, and New Avengers, Frontline as well. Then depending on how much you wanna spend, Cap & Iron Man, maybe Spidey. Save the rest only if you're a completist. And just use the reading order in that link sinkie gave.

Alternatively, if you are comfortable with digital comics but still like the feeling of owning an actual physical product rather than an online subscription, you could try and hunt down one of the Civil War DVD collections that Marvel put out. Here's the listing on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-The-Complete-Collection/dp/B001259DRI.
That price is crazy, but you might be able to find a copy somewhere else.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:39 AM »

Awesome guys! Thanks so much for your help. Man, I am really looking forwad to getting into this series. And sinkie, I will look into the whole Marvel Digital thing, I never knew it existed. I'll probably end up physically buying them anyways though. O how I love getting stuff in the mail.
My Have/Want list:

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Watch out for rodents with lightsabers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »

Civil War is a must!  Its an expensive trade, but well worth it.

I absolutely loved the Frontline series.  Its the story arc from the point of view of two reporters.  Excellent stuff.

I would also recommend Civil War: Wolverine.  One of the best trades I've read, and I'm no Wolverine fan. The New Avengers stuff is also quite good because it has an amazing cast of characters.

Civil War Thunderbolts was kind of worthless, in my opinion...and I love Thunderbolts comics...

Hope this helps!
"Enjoy your action figures guys...and remember, they're not dolls"

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »

I think that Civil War was ok, but coming from a guy that if 4 years late on the marvel stuff (Now reading World War Hulk)...

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »

I think that Civil War was ok, but coming from a guy that if 4 years late on the marvel stuff (Now reading World War Hulk)...

I am a latecomer as well. I just finished reading Planet Hulk. I thought it was pretty good. I loved the whole Gladiator Hulk thing. Better than I expected. Tried ordering WWH from Indigo last week, but they are out of stock at the moment. Ordered House of M instead, and then I'll probably focus on some of the Civil War parts. I use to read quite a bit back in the late 80's and early 90's but stopped for whatever reason. It is great to get back into it all.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:36:51 PM by Mit_Othy »
My Have/Want list:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »

Yeah, Marvel Digital, obviously the sacrifice is having the hard copies but, for my habits, it probably works. I too liked owning single issues, then switched to trades. I still buy lots of trades but being able to just hop on and (likely) find something ready on Marvel Digital is fun...plus the chances of me rereading the trades in the near future is probably minimal since there is always so much new stuff I haven't read. The way I figure is that if the digital trend continues (and barring world wide societal collapse I don't see why it wouldn't...and at that point I'm not so sure collecting hard copies of comics will be my priority anyway!) I could renew subscriptions even every other year and still have access to more material (and material I want to read again) and still be saving money. It also allows you to read stuff that might turn out to be crap and you've hardly paid for it in the long run.

Anyway, the set up is fun, the way you kind of just click on panels and it slides you to the next panel automatically makes for a much smoother reading experience than I would have suspected. But if you have an old computer it might feel slow. My new imac makes it zippy!

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »

It also allows you to read stuff that might turn out to be crap and you've hardly paid for it in the long run.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I still do like having them in hand. Then I feel like I actually 'have' them. But Digital Marvel does seem like a great idea. Especially for trying certain stuff out. Is their database pretty extensive?
My Have/Want list:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »

It supposedly grows constantly, though I did have someone tell me they think they will also remove things from time to time. I have no confirmation of this though and tried to find out if that was true and did not find anything to back it up yet.

Obviously the newer material isn't there, I'm not sure what the turn around time is on it but even if it is a year and you're not on Marvel forums trying to engage in the latest storylines it might not matter. I actually wanted to reread the old Wolverine series from the 80s so I poked around on it and found it and then coincidentally the Archangel exclusive figure offer came to my attention around the same time so I bit. As I said, lots to explore even if I do still end up buying some Marvel trades from time to time.

You can search the data base without being a member and even preview so you can test it out!

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 12:30:23 PM »

Thanks a lot sinkie, I will totally be checking it out. I really like the convenience of it. And I need quite a bit of catching up to do, so I won't be following anything super recent anyways.
My Have/Want list:

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 01:54:10 PM »

I'm also 1 year late in DC, finished reading Blackest Night. I really like Green Lantenr but especially Geoff John's stuff. Do you know that DC is relaunching it's database in september with all new #1 issues. Don't know if these are reboots or just a re-launching.

I know this is a Marvel topic!

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only geek around here that buy Star Wars toys and read comic books.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only geek around here that buy Star Wars toys and read comic books.

Thumbs up to that.
My Have/Want list:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »

The DC relaunch is a fresh start from what I understand. There will be 52 new #1 issues over the first 5 weeks - that's a LOT of comics for someone to pick up if they're a DC fan. I'm likely going to grab a handful just to have them & check them out - Action Comics being written by Grant Morrison being at the top of the list.

With respect to Civil War, I remember it being "ok". The Spider-Man aspect of the story was a pretty key element though, so I'd have to suggest checking out the Spider-Man related issues. Going digital or getting the big disc with all the crossovers might be your best bet - then you can read the series and pick away at the back/side story as you like.

As an opinion aside from the post, these huge Marvel events always wind up with things back the way they were within a few months anyhow, so I would NOT recommend overspending to get this stuff in a hurry. Like every other crossover, it's more "fine" or "okay" then unbelievable or amazing in my eyes.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »

With respect to Civil War, I remember it being "ok". The Spider-Man aspect of the story was a pretty key element though, so I'd have to suggest checking out the Spider-Man related issues. Going digital or getting the big disc with all the crossovers might be your best bet - then you can read the series and pick away at the back/side story as you like.

I agree with JR, it was an "okay" series at best. Many complaints were leveled at the writing team for basically twisting the characters to act the way the plot needed them to rather than having them be true to themselves. When it comes to Tony Stark and Reed Richards in particular, my reaction to the writer's handling of these two, is not kind.  They might as well have created two totally new "villains" to fulfill the plot needs here because neither of these guys were true to their actual characters - not even remotely true.  In that regard, I don't consider this to be a well-written series - it's basically someone at Marvel coming up with a "great idea" and then hammering specific characters into certain roles in order to create fake tension.

Personally my recommendation when it comes to Civil War, is save your money and take your wife/gf out to a nice dinner and a show, that would be far better time and money spent.

As an opinion aside from the post, these huge Marvel events always wind up with things back the way they were within a few months anyhow, so I would NOT recommend overspending to get this stuff in a hurry. Like every other crossover, it's more "fine" or "okay" then unbelievable or amazing in my eyes.

The main reason why I've pretty much stopped reading both Marvel and DC.  After being burned by the horror that was Infinite Crisis, I just tossed my hands up and voted with my dollars. Instead of junk events like this, and you can bet that this DC reboot will itself eventually undo itself too if people don't buy the new comics, go for real stories with actual character developments and no resets e.g. Walking Dead, Sweet Tooth, Parasyte, The Boys, or graphic novels like Goodbye Chunky Rice, Blankets, Pride of Baghdad, or obviously just about anything by Alan Moore.  Way better stuff to spend money on than the latest "event".

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169079
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 37 queries.