Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2018, 12:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

26 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Marvel's Civil War  (Read 5398 times)

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel's Civil War
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »

Old Man Logan looks pretty cool. That is one on my list to read. I just started House of M yesterday. I'm not very far in yet, but so far I am really digging it. Magneto has always been one of my favorite villians in the MU.

Cash_Fan, it's rather funny that you mentioned Marvel Alliance 2. Because I was playing MA2 with my son a couple weeks ago, and that is what peaked my interest in reading Civil War too. And I am still pretty interested in reading it. I haven't even lost much interest, even with some of what others are saying here. I am a rather stubborn person, so I have to always try it out myself, you know? I will start, and see how I like it and then from there.

If anyone has any other trades or graphic novels they want to recommend, fire away. I guess I am on kind of a comic book kick these days. (or maybe trying to catch up) And it is always cool to see what everyone likes and doesn't like.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »

If you even just "don't mind" zombies, Walking Dead is probably up there with must reads. I know only a handful that have any bad to say about it but it is addictive. There is a "first volume" omnibus version for about $50 that collects the first 47 issues I believe. I got that and burned through it in like a week! Now i'm in the trades and am about to buy the last and be totally caught up. And then try to resist single issues until the next trade. Kirkman who writes this also writes Invincible which is a lot of fun too.

DC's New Frontier and/or the Richard Stark Parker (the Hunter and the Outfit) books by Darwyn Cooke are really sweet too! I second a vote for Y the Last Man and Queen and Country if you're into spy stuff...oh, an oldie but goodie is Alan Moore's From Hell (which is so unlike the film its pretty amazing) but it's definitely a darker read.

HomieBear

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • Pooing in the Woods
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:23 PM »

I second the Invincible recommendation, Walking Dead is good as well but I get burned out on too much of it.
mit othy, did you ever consider getting an Edmonton library card?  12 bucks and they haver tons and tons of graphic novels, just put them on hold on the internet and pick em up whenever you are in the city. Saved me lots of money so far!

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 09:32:44 AM »

mit othy, did you ever consider getting an Edmonton library card?  12 bucks and they haver tons and tons of graphic novels, just put them on hold on the internet and pick em up whenever you are in the city. Saved me lots of money so far!

Ha! I never even thought of that. That is a great idea.  Thanks HomieBear, long time no see.
My Have/Want list:

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 02:33:43 PM »

Old Man Logan looks pretty cool. That is one on my list to read. I just started House of M yesterday. I'm not very far in yet, but so far I am really digging it. Magneto has always been one of my favorite villians in the MU.

Cash_Fan, it's rather funny that you mentioned Marvel Alliance 2. Because I was playing MA2 with my son a couple weeks ago, and that is what peaked my interest in reading Civil War too. And I am still pretty interested in reading it. I haven't even lost much interest, even with some of what others are saying here. I am a rather stubborn person, so I have to always try it out myself, you know? I will start, and see how I like it and then from there.

If anyone has any other trades or graphic novels they want to recommend, fire away. I guess I am on kind of a comic book kick these days. (or maybe trying to catch up) And it is always cool to see what everyone likes and doesn't like.

I would recommend Marvels and Kingdom Come also.  Both were great.  Also a few months ago I was in California and picked up a copy of Star Wars Legacy vol 1 for a couple of bucks and never really intended to read it but I started it on the plane and by the time I got home I had to go to the comic shop to pick up the rest of the series.  The series is over now (only 50 issues) but they did do a six issue story arc afterwards that just finished and I'm waiting for it to show in graphic novel form so I can read it. 

The library card is a great idea.  I've read a lot of graphic novels there like Saga of Swamp Thing, All Star Superman, & The Joker.  It's great for discovering new characters/writers/stories/or just ones' that you may have forgotten about. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »

Although, I am not too familiar with the DC universe. I have always wanted to check out Kingdom Come. The artwork alone has always intrigued me.

I finished House of M a couple weeks back. I liked it alot. I am actually reading it again right now. Might be a stupid question, but did Marvel ever make stories that take place in the alt-world? (or whatever it is called) I did also end up ordering the Civil War trade and the Road to Civil War. With the back and forth on it from people here, I am very interested to see it for myself.
My Have/Want list:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »

DC's Kingdom Come was really well done, both in terms of writing and the artwork.  You'll definitely enjoy that one.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Redeemer31

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »

I never really knew much about DC before but if you pick up certain books and titles, I got hooked on to them more than I did with Marvel. The only problem that I find with DC is that the back story is very CONFUSING, which is probably why they are rebooting practically everything.

From DC, I really enjoyed anything that related to the Green Lantern Corps, such as the "Sinestro Corps War" series. I really like Flash's Rogue gallery as well; I use to think they were corny characters but I was really impressed by them. You may want to look at "Rogues' Revenge" which was part of the Final Crisis series.

Batman books are almost always a safe bet.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »

...except when Grant Morrison is given free reign  :crazy:

I just got through DC's New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke and really liked it though, as others have said, I'm not the biggest fan of what feels like the DC randomly made soup thing that they feel like they are continually trying to deal with which some sort of "crisis" every few years! I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths had handled it back in the 80's but I guess somehow it didn't...

I am looking forward to the DC reboot, especially Jeff Lemire's upcoming stints for example.

Oh, and maybe I misunderstood the question but isn't Marvel's alt-universe called Ultimate Comics?

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 05:53:37 PM »

Oh, and maybe I misunderstood the question but isn't Marvel's alt-universe called Ultimate Comics?

O sorry, I did know that Marvel's alt-universe is called Ultimate.

Spoilers! My question was wheather Marvel made stories that took place in the world that Scarlet Witch created in House of M? Where everyone is a mutant or has powers. Or I might be confused and they may be the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:04:09 PM by Mit_Othy »
My Have/Want list:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »

O sorry, I did know that Marvel's alt-universe is called Ultimate.

Spoilers! My question was wheather Marvel made stories that took place in the world that Scarlet Witch created in House of M? Where everyone is a mutant or has powers. Or I might be confused and they may be the same thing.

No, not the same thing, I thought you might have been referring to something specific and not generally speaking which is why I said I might have misunderstood...and obviously I did. So I don't know about that specifically. Not that I've read yet anyway.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 06:16:58 PM »

So I finsihed reading Civil War a few days ago. I thought it was actualy really good. I liked it way more than I thought I would after reading some comments about it here. I did see what Nap meant about some characters 'changing' a bit to fit their roles. But it didn't seem to ruin the story for me in any way. I actually wished it was a bit longer to tell you the truth. So my next step is now probably to track down a few of the other Civil War titles. Probably The New Avengers and Wolverine to start. The Frontline has an interesting idea, but I am not sure if I am all that interested in it. So we shall see.

I also receantly finished reading World War Hulk. And I must say it didn't excite me as much as I thought it would. Maybe I was expecting something different, I am not sure. I usually love the Hulk, but in this one, it just seem almost forced. I might have to go re-read it, just to clarify how I feel about it. Also, the drawing style I found way too rough and unrefined (I might get an ass kicking for saying that) Not a huge fan of the style.
My Have/Want list:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »

I found that the Hulk felt over to me once Bruce Jones & Mike Deodato left. The whole Greg Pak run has seemed luke-warm, now they're giving him a huge sendoff as he leaves the book. Hookay, Marvel.  :speechless-smiley-004:

NorthernSolo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Hey - It's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »

Finished Civil War the other night - trying to work my way thru all the cross-over issues and tie-ins. 200+ comics total...Also re-read Secret Wars I & II recently and the Batman Knightfall series - all highly recommended! :)`
There isn't enough product on these shelves to fill a space cruiser!

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 11:16:34 AM »

Man, it has been a while since I read Secret Wars. I'd love to get back into those eventually.

I haven't read much of the modern Hulk stuff. But the older stuff that I have read, was usually pretty good.
My Have/Want list:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170177
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 28
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 37 queries.