Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 08:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

66 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix  (Read 1834 times)

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Netflix
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:27 AM »

Does anyone have this? Is it any good in Canada? What kind of movies/tv show do they have? For awhile now I have thought about getting it. But I keep flip flopping back and forth whether or not it would be a good idea. I do have Xbox Live, so I would probably get it that way. Any advice or opinion would be great, thanks.
My Have/Want list:

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=20252.0

BAD parts I need- R3-A2  Body, R4-P44  Head + Middle Leg

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »

I was at my parents last weekend - fairly technologically challenged people - and I was surprised to see that my mom had signed up for Netflix on their new BD player. It is a 1-month free trial (after which it's $8/month I believe?) We had a hard time getting it to connect to the service most of the time, but I think that might be due to them being on a wireless network, and the close proximity of the player to their old-style tv - likely interference in connecting to the network. Once things got going though, I was surprised to see the large selection of titles available. It seemed like almost anything that has been released on DVD is up there. It can be a bit tricky to find specific titles if you don't have a way to input text searches though. But there are lots of complete tv series, fairly recent seasons of new/er shows, kids shows, documentaries, the whole gamut. And all sorts of movies too. I can't say for sure what the viewing quality is - the tv was just a ~26" thing, but it looked fine to me. No worse than watching standard-def over the airwaves. Another thing I couldn't tell you is how much of a drain it puts on your bandwidth in a month. I guess it depends on how much you use it of course, but I don't know what the the data rate would be. My daughter loved it, as she was able to watch "her tv shows" on demand, but it's not really something I'd be interested in a this point. I've got enough things to eat up my limited spare time!

I would say though, give the free trial a shot, and see how it works for you. Just remember to cancel early enough before the 1st month is over, as I have a feeling they aren't quick to cancel, in the hopes of charging you for another month yet (similar to the mail-order dvd services).

leebo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »

just a ~26" thing

hahaha, I wonder what my only 21" tv would have been called :)

Was there any time lag between choosing and watching? Like buffering time or anything like that?

Radiation74

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »

Its okay, I've watched megamind, the cave, the exorcism of Emily rose, and 4 episodes of californcation in the last 4 days, for 8 bucks? Thats not bad.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »

just a ~26" thing

hahaha, I wonder what my only 21" tv would have been called :)

Was there any time lag between choosing and watching? Like buffering time or anything like that?

Once we got it connected, it was pretty good for speed. A very short Netflix loading screen before each video, and then maybe 5-10 seconds maximum of initial buffering. Never hit any buffering once the video started. And just like a DVD - no commercials!

leebo

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »

Thanks for the info Wedge1021

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 05:21:52 PM »

I had it for the free trial but I honestly could not find anything in their data base that I wanted to watch so I cancelled.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »

but I honestly could not find anything in their data base that I wanted to watch so I cancelled.

That is what I am worried about. I think I am going to hold off on getting Netflix for a bit longer. Thanks everyone.
My Have/Want list:

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:35:11 PM »

So out of curiousity, I signed up for the 1 month free trial. And I must say, I am actually really liking it. I watched all of season 1 of The Walking Dead (which is an awesome show BTW) And I am a few episodes into season 1 of the X-files. They have all 9 seasons. I am also pretty impressed with their movie selection. I wish I could put my favorites into a 'folder' or something, so that I can easily get to them when I want to. Also, I found that if you search through titles alphabetically, you get some different titles that you don't find if you just browse through genres. Or atleast that is what I am noticing.
My Have/Want list:

richd

• <A++ Trader>
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I ain't no stinkin' llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »

I guess they're offering airmiles to sign up too.

https://netflix.airmiles.ca

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »

Be careful to monitor your internet usage - I wound up getting a $20 charge added to my Rogers bill due to greatly increased usage from just a few Netflix programs. I quit it shortly after that, just not too much available through the service for my tastes.

Mit_Othy

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »

Be careful to monitor your internet usage - I wound up getting a $20 charge added to my Rogers bill due to greatly increased usage from just a few Netflix programs. I quit it shortly after that, just not too much available through the service for my tastes.

This is what a lot of people have been telling me lately. If that is the case, then it's just not worth it to me. I already have satellite, so this is just another added thing.
My Have/Want list:

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169107
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 37 queries.