Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 11:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

59 Guests, 2 Users

Poll

As posted - Have you or would you?

Have One.
- 2 (16.7%)
If I could afford it - I'd be all over it...
- 1 (8.3%)
Even if I could afford it - I wouldn't bite...
- 9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you or would you buy a 3D-TV?  (Read 969 times)

NorthernSolo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Hey - It's me!
    • View Profile
Have you or would you buy a 3D-TV?
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:50:38 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't get one. I've seen a few films in 3-D in the theatre, but have no desire to repeat the experience at home. 3-D films will continue their dominance so long as said films are making over 900,000 box office....Just look at how many films just so recently capped a billion....The $15 3-D ticket is helping that.....Sets where you don't need glasses? The last I saw - a 20" cost upwards of 5K!
There isn't enough product on these shelves to fill a space cruiser!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Have you or would you buy a 3D-TV?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »

Doesn't seem to me like this is really the next big thing. When it came to HD, you could tell it was headed for the mainstream - something about 3d just always reeks of "flavour of the day" technology.

The 3d movies I've seen have done NOTHING to make me excited about owning a home version - I find the good bits of 3d used in the movies are almost always way over the top - only "How to Train your Dragon", of all the 3d movies I've seen, seemed to use it subtly so that it actually added something without bashing you in the face with it.

Nah, I'm certainly not at the point where I'd buy it now, and don't foresee myself getting there any time soon.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »

I've found myself buying the blu ray combos that include the 3D version for the sole reason of not wanting to buy it again, IF I ever get a 3D TV.  For the first time ever I actually found myself wanting one.  My biggest hurdle was the size.  While a 36" and up is ok, it doesn't really compare to a theatre screen when you're sitting 15' away from it.  I own a front projector with a 110" screen and Panasonic has finally released a 3D HD projector.  I cut the pic from the flyer and put it on the fridge for my wish list....it's $4000.

That being said, I did see a 54" (I think) combo w/4 pairs of glasses and a 3D blu ray player at Costco for $1500.  That's a good deal.

eifwen2009

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:03:42 AM »

that will have to depend on if and when the Star Wars saga were to be released, and how I felt about them by seeing them in the theaters first.

:luke:
"Basca"

Darth Chadus

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »

I purchased a Samusung 51" 3D TV back in September.  It was actually our first HD TV, I had no intention of buying 3D but the price difference over the non 3D was marginal.  The kids got a real kick out of it in the store, so I thought what the heck. I got the salesman to throw in an extra pair of glasses, so all 4 of us could watch.  We quite enjoy it, as mentioned above alot of the movies are very subtle.  Where we find it the most amazing is when watching the 3D Imax Blue rays, the undersea and nature ones.  Wow it really gives you a feeling of crusing along the sea floor with the fish swimming in your living room.  I am quite happy with the purchase, and for the few extra dollars it cost me I think it was well worth the purchase.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »

I'm not a huge 3D fan and I did not go 3D when I purchase my HD TV. Like Fishfan I have been buying 3D Bluray combos on the off chance it becomes a standard feature when I buy another TV. I already have the PS3 so the TV is all I'm missing.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »

I have not even seen a movie in 3D at the theatre, let alone at home. I purposely watch the "non-3D" version if it is playing side-by-side or wait until it appears at that location. It just does not appeal to me. I don't want to pay the extra fee, and from what I have heard most films seem like the 3D was an afterthought - 5 minutes of effect throw in to cash in on the 3D name. Maybe when a film is conceived as 3D from start to finish, using new techniques that make it an integral part of the film, I will start to change my thinking. But when I can watch the "2D" version of a film and not feel like something is missing, it makes me feel like 3D is just a bit of a fad. I do not own a HDTV yet either though, so like Darth Chadus, when it comes time to picking one of those up I may just spring the extra few bucks to go 3D-HD and cover all my bases at once.

Of course, when TPM is released, I will likely break down and give it a try, even if it's just that once.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 02:49:28 PM »

To be fair, 3D is not the gimmick it was back in the 80s or so when the sole purpose was to have cheesy moments like an axe flying out at the audience. Today's 3D is quite spectacular for its immersive qualities and I have never been disappointed at the theatre. I just don't need it at home. Even though I have a 47'' TV I know it's not large enough to enjoy the 3D as it is meant to be.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169117
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 76
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 59
Total: 61

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 41 queries.