Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 12:40:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

51 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Played with toys as collector items  (Read 1517 times)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Played with toys as collector items
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »

I am not exactly a vintage collector, I mean, I have all my old toys from when I was a kid and have added pieces to it over the years, trying to at least complete a basic loose vintage figure collection very slowly and not with much effort.

But the other day for some odd reason I decided I would really like to get one of the original die-cast Star Destroyers so I found one cheap on ebay, it included the plastic rebel frigate but wasn't in anything like mint condition.

So it arrives, and I'm happy with it for what I paid. It is chipped, it has what appear to be small spots of rust here and there that I mistook for dirt and dust at first. I guess this is what some refer to as a "beater".

Anyway, the date on the sliding hatch at the bottom of 1979 kind of got me thinking about the obvious: this toy is only a few years younger than I am, it has obviously been played with and has travelled through time and hands and adventures and I wondered this:

Is there any sort of subculture of collectors out there who specifically try to track down used, played with toys because of this history they come with, even if it is only a history we can guess at? So collecting more like an archaeologist I guess than an investor or hoarder? I guess it would also be a "beater" specific collector???

I realize that the main vintage collecting culture seems to be focused on graded items or at least trying to find the closest to pristine copy of carded or loose items but then realized that maybe there might be some part of the hobby I hadn't heard about.

If not, then I might just start it up because I realized this is pretty interesting, looking at toys not as a window on a "fantasy past" when if I'd known what the future would be I could have grabbed a bunch of mint figures off the pegs at a now defunct department store chain and stashed them away but that these toys were meant to be played with and did get played with and got passed around and then end up in the hands of collectors. Kind of like artefacts from other lost cultures. I mean, archaeologists don't focus on finding a tool or something that was made but never used. Well, yes they do in part, but they also need to give time and energy to the ones that did get used and appreciate that history of use and understand the signs of it "engraved" on the artefacts themselves. Anyway....maybe I'm just being a flake but it got me thinking. Or maybe I'm just ignorant on the subject and this kind of focus has been going on for years?

clone commando75

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Played with toys as collector items
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »

when i find something old like what you mean, i too think about where it came from  i don't mind if it's used it made some kid happy  a long time ago  now it's my turn.  then i'll try to do the same one day in the future. but what makes me laugh
is when i find a figure that been in the package for like 15 years and i;m like i could never wait that long. anyways good on old stuff

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »

I once knew a guy who's most prized figures were the ones that smelled the most - honestly, dude would smell figures when he opened them & prefer the ones with the most pleasing odour of plastic. I thought that was messed up...

... until now.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

Seriously though, I don't honestly know of a particular section of the market that buys banged up stuff for the history, but LOTS of collectors would choose versions of items that were cost effective & wind up with the "beaters" as you put it in their collections. Whichever end floats your boat, you're winding up with some neat stuff at a less-than-premium price... sounds like a win win situation to me.  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:02:07 PM by jjreason »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »

I posted this same question over on Rebelscum and I'm surprised that already many of the vintage collectors are saying they love contemplating the history that comes with a toy, even if they want the most minty fresh one with history. And as someone pointed out, even carded figures come with a history obviously. But I guess my main point was is there actually any branch of it that focuses on used toys and not on close-to-mint samples.

I think this is going to be my focus!  :speechless-smiley-004:

Holstein912

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »

I strictly collect loose played with vintage, it allows me to collect at a some what lowwer price point which is rather nice, but the most awesome reason to collect played with loose is that I get to play with them. When I play with them I play with my 2 sons. They are 3  1/2 and 5. I own a retail business and spend alot of time at work, I don't get alot of quality time with my boys. Loose played with vintage Star Wars gives me the quality time with my two boys I need.

I have nothing against mint, boxed , AFA collectors, but I just can't wrap my child like mind around owning the most awesome toys in the world and never ever touching them, just looking at them in a box or glass case and imagining what fun it could have been.   :confused0024:

Kinda like swearing off women and just going to the peeler pubs.  :sign0065:

clone commando75

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »

so true  holstien so true

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »

I was kind of haphazardly doing the same thing with my son, I have given him several "beater" vintage figures to play with and recently found him a used Ewok Village that he totally digs!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »

That's one area where the modern line hasn't lived up to the vintage - playability. Regardless of how the toys look now, kids still love the vintage - simple movable parts, easy to stand up & equip, easy to fit figures into vehicles. It's not like that with the new stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169102
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 51
Total: 54

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 38 queries.