Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 02:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

33 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just had some of my tibia removed.  (Read 1374 times)

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Just had some of my tibia removed.
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »

Well last thursday I had some of my tibia removed, The Doctor wanted to do this in the hopes that it will prolong me haveing to have a partial knee replacement and in the long run prolong a total knee replacement. He is hoping this will give me another 10 years. Still in a lot of pain but I am doing good. Once this heels I will be getting the right one done aswell.
Pics below....

I counted 32 staples.

My kids wanted to see the staples, and I for one believe that they need to learn about things like this. I mean if they are truely interested and I say know, whos to say I could be standing in the way of a future doctor or something. I just love my little girls face in this pic.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Just had some of my tibia removed.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »

Ouch.  Really.  Get well soon.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

... The Doctor wanted to do this in the hopes that it will prolong me haveing to have a partial knee replacement ...

THE Doctor?! So that's why you've got a TARDIS! haha  :winking0071:
Hope you heal quickly!

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »

I just love my little girls face in this pic.

Man, you should have seen my face looking at those staples.  I thought stiches in my ankle last month were bad.  That's just ewwwww. :-X

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »

Ok - now seriously - that doctor is using you as a lab rat. Carpel tunnel one month & too much bone the next? If he starts asking you about obtaining a piece of your frontal lobe you had better learn to say no!!!

FamilyMan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »

Ok - now seriously - that doctor is using you as a lab rat. Carpel tunnel one month & too much bone the next? If he starts asking you about obtaining a piece of your frontal lobe you had better learn to say no!!!

LOL.  it wasn't that I had too much bone.

this is a run down of what I had done and why..

Knee osteoarthritis often affects only one side of the knee joint. When this occurs, realigning the angle made between the bones of the leg can shift your body weight so that the healthy side of the knee joint takes more of the stress. The procedure to realign the angles of the lower leg is called a proximal tibial osteotomy.

Closing Wedge Osteotomy
In the closing wedge osteotomy, an incision is made in the lateral side of the knee to allow the surgeon to see the upper end of the tibia. Care is taken to protect the nerves and blood vessels that travel across the knee joint.

Once the tibia bone is exposed, two cuts are made through the upper tibia in the shape of a wedge. The surgeon uses either X-rays or a fluoroscope, a special kind of X-ray machine that casts images on a fluorescent screen, to make sure the wedge is the right size and is placed correctly.

The surgeon takes out the wedge, and the two sides of the tibia are brought closer together and held in position with a metal plate or pins. This changes the angle of the tibia and helps straighten the alignment of the knee. After fixing the two edges of bone with a plate or pins, the surgeon stitches the skin together, and the leg is placed in a padded splint to protect the knee joint.

A tibial osteotomy in the best of circumstances is probably only temporary. It is thought that this operation buys some time before a total knee replacement becomes necessary. The benefits of the operation usually last for five to ten years if successful.
Want to make your own costumes? have little to no budget? visit me at http://costumesarecool.weebly.com/ for some great tips, helpfull adivise and tutorials..

ldssgtg

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »

I've had patella realignment surgery on both my knees.
Give you leg at least 6 months before it will feel "back to normal".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169071
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 33
Total: 36

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 38 queries.