Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 10:48:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

52 Guests, 4 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage Figures VS Modern Figures  (Read 1299 times)

bossk74

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Vintage Figures VS Modern Figures
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »

I was just admiring my collection of Star Wars Figures and playsets, both modern and vintage and I was thinking of the many vintage items that I prefer over the modern versions. For example, I still think that the vintage Yoda is the definitive version of all time. Hasbro just has not been able to capture his true essence like Kenner did back in the day. I also think that the Jabba Playset from the 80's is still amazing although I do like the updated version very much I just wonder how well it will last over time with his rubbery body. I am especially fond of the vintage Sy Snootles compared with the somewhat ridiculous rendition from the Special Edition. Seems that a lot of of the vintage figures still hold up today in appearance and accuracy especially those from ROTJ. Does anyone else seem to think some of their vintage figures are better than the modern versions? Another thing that still puzzles me, and I really don't buy the argument that kids don't like playsets fodder that Hasbro dishes out, why is there a lack of playsets on the market. I love the Ewok village it is still so cool and would certainly enjoy an updated version, even one of the Cantina, Death Star, Bespin, Dagobah etc.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Figures VS Modern Figures
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:12:20 PM »

Regarding playsets & bigger vehicles, Hasbro has stated they just don't see the returns on investment - things must have changed in the past 30 years because there were no shortage of them when we were kids. I still absolutely love the Return of the Jedi vintage stuff, though some of the modern figures are just astounding in terms of minute detail.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »

I still love my vintage stuff as well, perhaps that's because there's so much nostalgia tied to it but also because the sculpts are still pretty good (vintage Yoda is way loads better than VotC Yoda that's for sure, how Hasbro failed on that one still eludes me) and the fact that just about every figure could sit in the vehicles is a big plus.

I'm also glad that Kenner didn't feel playsets were not good investments back then; imagine being a kid with a complete figure collection but no Death Star or Cantina or Dagobah to put them into!  There've been rumors of an echo base playset, and a Dagobah playset from Hasbro but we'll see. I think if they put a lot of quality behind it, and not the crappy PotF2 style sets which weren't all that great, it could do well.  They definitely need to do it during this 3d movie period when attention towards the OT will be at its greatest in a long while.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »

It is very hard to say how much of a role nostalgia plays, that's for sure!

I know they definitely feel more "fun" to me when I look at them but maybe that's because they point to a time when SW wasn't divisive, wasn't "clogged" up by so much story and product. I don't know. It is definitely interesting that even with all the improved techniques that some modern figures definitely feel like they are not hitting the mark or capturing an essence. But I think even some POTF2 figures are starting to feel more iconic to me even though I don't actually appreciate them. They now seem to point to a time when SW was making a comeback and the excitement was building all over again.

I think it goes to show you though that the value we place on these has a lot less to do with how they actually turn out and a heck of a lot more about how they anchor our imaginations and memories.

NerfherderLover

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »

It's all about nostalgia for me (and a little bit of 'investment' thinking, though don't know if that's an excuse or not).  Back in '77, there was no way for me, like many others, to relive the Star Wars experience other than figures, playsets, trading cards, while I'm listening to the LP 'Story of Star Wars'.

So now, I have no deep seeded interest in modern figures as I have no attachment to them.  I do pick up some here and there if they are cheap, and the ones I do in some small way 'crave' are either on a re-released vintage-style cardback, or because of some special mail away (George Lucas in Stormtrooper disguise, or rocket-firing Boba come to mind), but other than that, it's not a focus.

Granted, some 12" figs do look pretty frickin' cool and detailed, so to some extent, I'll say that there are cases that they are better-looking (and I'm NOT talking the 3 3/4 lines....ugh...some are just plain fugly...like star wars on steroids), but as I said above, I'm of the biased opinion.  It's Vintage all the way for me, baby!
You haven't truly loved, until you've loved a nerfherder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169095
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 52
Total: 56

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 38 queries.