Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 08:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NHL Lockout Rant  (Read 1686 times)

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Watch out for rodents with lightsabers
    • View Profile
NHL Lockout Rant
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »

November 2nd, 2012
Mr. Bettman, Mr. Daly, Mr. Fehr & Mr. Fehr,

Now you’ve done it. For 20 years now I have been a fanatical follower of my beloved Montreal Canadiens and the larger game of NHL hockey as a whole.  I never watched football or baseball, and basketball was never my thing. Whatever day or time, I ate, breathed , and lived for NHL hockey.  I was disappointed the last time around when a lockout forced the cancellation of an entire season, but I understood that something had to be done to save the game I love.  And did it ever.  The game grew in popularity, revenues soared and everyone was so happy that the collective bargaining agreement was extended an extra 4 years by the players union.  Owners were making money, players were making money, fans had a game they loved…so what happened?

The apathy shown to the NHL fan base during the latest NHL lockout is shameful.  I will not argue that owners are to blame, or players are to blame.  Both sides are to blame for the state of things.  I’ll boil it down to millionaires arguing with millionaires over their millions.  Do you guys have any idea how we feel in all this?  We who don’t make millions, yet spend our hard earned money on hockey tickets, jerseys and t-shirts for our wives and kids.  No.  You have no idea, and you clearly don’t care.  If you cared, you would have started talking about this last year…you would have open dialogue on a daily basis…you would not hold press conferences to inform your fan base that essentially nothing has transpired…you would silence the hardline owners and players and let the moderates talk so that sanity and compassion for the fans can help resolve this work stoppage. I don’t feel bad for any of you and I have no compassion for any of you, as you’ve clearly shown you have none for us.  I feel bad for the guy who isn’t making money in his t-shirt business or his novelty shop because no one is buying Canadiens or Leafs apparel…or the restaurant owner struggling because there’s no more game night…or the kid who isn’t as fortunate as I was when I was his age and could watch all the hockey I could digest on tv.  I guess you guys don’t see that, or don't want to.  I'm guessing if you did you might be a bit more motivated to get things done.

And if you think you’re irreplaceable, think again.  For the first time in my life I’m watching NFL football.  I never was a fan…I never took the time to understand it…but you’ve given me that time and you know what?  It’s pretty good. It fills the void nicely…and if hockey isn’t around then it may as well disappear from my life altogether.  I swear that I will not spend a cent on anything with an NHL logo on it, not now and probably never again if there is no hockey this year.  My loyalties will go elsewhere…to a league that has its affairs in order and actually sits down to discuss the issues and resolves the problems at hand. I’ll be cancelling my NHL network this evening, and that’ll be the last vestige of the NHL you see around my place…and no I won’t follow the AHL or any of the NHL stars exhibition tours around the country. I refuse to support anything related to the NHL unless you give me back the NHL.

Now…this is coming from a loyal fan of 20 years.  This is what you are doing to your fan base.  Imagine what the fans you’ve only had for 2-3 years now are thinking? For people who are paid so much and are arguing about how revenues will grow and how best to split that pie, you seem to be missing the most critical element here: Your actions are not making this game grow; their killing it. Fix it now or no one will care that you’ve fixed it later on.

In closing, this is but a simple opinion from a long time fan.  If you want to do something to make me happy, get a deal done and give me NHL hockey again.  Otherwise don’t bother me.

Regards,

Dave
Montreal, Qc
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:36:39 PM by Darth Mink »
"Enjoy your action figures guys...and remember, they're not dolls"

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Lockout Rant
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »

Going to leave this hear for a bit, so people can read it, then will move it to the sport section.

LordJawa..

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »

Mee too I miss my NHL and my HABS, but I watch the NFL, the Patriots is my team. I miss wearing my centennial (all 4 of them) after a win at the job... it's my trademark.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »

I'm missing it more now that the baseball season has ended, though there is no shortage of sports to watch if one is interested in looking.

The nail being hit on the head was the part about them not having their affairs in order - how on earth does it even get to this point? How is there not an agreement to allow an arbitrator to set the terms for years like this when the agreement isn't in place? I will never understand it.  :confused0024: :speechless-smiley-004:

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »

...not missing these overpaid people...plus HNIC CLASSICS on saturday is waaayyy better hockey...AND the announcers from those days rock...DANNY GALAVAN //   IRVIN...does not ever get better than this people!

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »

You know you take hockey seriously when you change your Snowtroopers avatar in protest of the hockey lockout...

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:34:46 AM »

You know you take hockey seriously when you change your Snowtroopers avatar in protest of the hockey lockout...
Haha - for sure.

It is definitely a sad state of affairs.  To think they would wait until the last minute to negotiate is shameful.  Clearly, every move has been a ploy from each side to suck every last dime and concession form the other, not to get the game back on the ice.  I am quite torn over it all.  I love hockey, and want to get back to it whenever it returns, but also want to show my protest in some way, and the only way that will be meaningful to them is in the pocketbook. 

It would be nice if fans could ignore our love for the game and be as pragmatic as these losers are, and "lockout" the league when it returns.  Unfortunately, I think most of us bleed ice, and as soon as the game is back, we will watch it... :shakehead:

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »

Haha - for sure.

It is definitely a sad state of affairs.  To think they would wait until the last minute to negotiate is shameful.  Clearly, every move has been a ploy from each side to suck every last dime and concession form the other, not to get the game back on the ice.  I am quite torn over it all.  I love hockey, and want to get back to it whenever it returns, but also want to show my protest in some way, and the only way that will be meaningful to them is in the pocketbook. 

It would be nice if fans could ignore our love for the game and be as pragmatic as these losers are, and "lockout" the league when it returns.  Unfortunately, I think most of us bleed ice, and as soon as the game is back, we will watch it... :shakehead:

I'm not going to go on record and say I won't watch hockey again, like you say Brianakarobin, we all bleed ice and I really do miss it a lot. I'll watch it on tv because I love my team too much.  But above that I am really pissed off about the state of things, and I think the NHL and the players association think we're a bunch of mindless hogs who will come and eat from the the NHL trough time after time without consequence. I think there are certain things we can do...on my end, I don't intend on renewing my nhl network or my nhl center ice package.  I mean, if this is how they treat their fans...for the 3rd time in 20 years now...I don't need to give them any more of my money.  Going to the actual games is too bloody expensive anyways, so no worries there...and the same with merchandise too...I always used to get a habs t-shirt for my wife for xmas or something of the like but I'm vetoing that as well.  It's a few small things I can do, that if we all do, can translate into a lot less money for these billionnaires...who I think have shown a great disrespect to their fan base.  It NEVER should have gotten this far.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:38:18 PM by Darth Mink »

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »

No doubt about it.  I completely agree.  I just hope many/most fans can have the same willpower as you and not just jump back into the NHL fold when the lockout occurs, otherwise they have no incentive to treat us better next time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169094
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 55
Total: 57

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 38 queries.