Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 02:03:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Snowtroopers.ca Vintage Collectors Roll Call  (Read 12141 times)

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Snowtroopers.ca Vintage Collectors Roll Call
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »

As a regular visitor to snowtroopers.ca I've noticed that the modern section gets alot more action than the vintage, and I was just curious to see how many vintage collectors are still here visiting the site.  I thought I'd start this post for those of us still here to give a brief summary of your current collection, any focus's (foci?) that you have, what goal's you have set for your collection, top wish-list/grail items you'd like to get, ect.

Personally, I'm a collector of both loose and MOC vintage figures.  My collection started during my childhood.  I was able to see ROTJ at the theater in '83 with my family.  I remember getting a few figures here and there but the majority of my collection came from a huge purchase of about 30-50 figures at a garage sale in the mid-eighties for probably ten or twenty bucks.  The majority of my current loose figures are those same figures, beat-up, worn paint, and weaponless.  Through my teenaged years my interest shifted from toys to girls for some weird reason and I didn't get back into collecting until the Phantom menace came out in '99.  Lucky for me I was able to secure my female companion before then (we've just had our 18th ann.), so since TPM I've been able to put my shift my focus and money back towards collecting where it belongs.  I currently have a fair sized modern collection, but have been pecking away at a vintage MOC collection at the same time.

As it stands now my loose vintage collection is only missing ANH R2-D2, Yoda, Zuckass, Klattu Skiff, Leia Boushh, Jedi Luke, and Teebo from the original 77.  I don't have any of the final 17 loose.  Most, if not all of these figures are beaters but since they are they ones I played with as a child they are priceless.  I would like to build a loose set of mint figures down the road.

My carded vintage collection is now standing at 54 plus the rebo band.  I'm not super fussy with condition other than the cards have to present well.  I'm not a stickler for matching the characters to the movie or cardback they were first released on.  I have a farmboy luke on an ESB card and have no desire to upgrade it to a SW card.  Several of my figures are very mint, but others have small bubble dings or small creasing.  I would like to end up with as complete of a collection as possible but there are still several expensive characters left to get.

The two grail items for me are both toys that I'd had during childhood but were lost or discarded at some point.  The first is the Takara wind-up walking R2, I remember having him and a wind-up E.T. figure and getting them to race one another.  The second item is the Canadian cardboard version of the Death Star that was same make as the Palitoy one.  I remember playing with it all the time and thinking how cool it was that you were able to slide the trash compactor wall to simulate the scene.

:snowtroopers:
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Snowtroopers.ca Vintage Collectors Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

I would still consider myself a vintage collector though I haven't actively shopped for anything "new to me" in a long, long time. I'm currently missing about 10 loose figures for my vintage collection, along with an accessory or two from figures I own. My only hope is to finally complete this collection at some point & be able to safely display them at home, away from the dust that plagued them the last time I had them out for any length of time. As far as vehicles or playsets go I would consider buying the smaller items mint in nice boxes as I find them great for display - I haven't had any urge to buy loose vintage ships or anything other than figures.

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Watch out for rodents with lightsabers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:35:48 PM »

Here is the long lost story of Darth Mink:

Being all of 3 years old when Jedi came out, I remember Dad taking my brother and I to a double feature of Empire and Jedi.  I believe this is the moment where my brain went all screwy for star wars toys. Our parents got us a lot of the ROTJ star wars figures over the next 2-3 years but eventually they became unavailable in stores and I had to get my star wars fix at garage sales. Most of my collection is now buried in the sand at the Alpine beach an hour north of Montreal...as we'd always bring our star wars toys to the beach and loose 1 or 2 each visit.  My cousin gave me a bunch of his...so that helped replenish the stock...but of course we lost all the accessories (my mom admits to vaccuming tons of them because we'd leave them lying around).  As time went on, I saved other toys...but I always had a special place in my heart for the Kenner figures.  In 1995, I jumped at the POTF2 line and saved that until just after TPM came out...by that time, the newer releases of figures were about 20$ a piece in our neck of the woods (as I guess case packs were pretty bad). I was also very much a completist at the time and therefore wanted to get all the new releases of figures.  As a university student paying his own way through school, I could no longer afford the hobby...so I put it on ice until around 2008...I met my now wife and she was cool with this hobby as it seemed to make me happier than other hobbies...by this time I was settled into a career and could afford to buy myself the toys I liked. The rest is history I suppose...

I would say I restarted collecting vintage about a year and a half ago...my collection is composed of the mangled pieces I played with as a kid...cleaned off with the patience of a model ship builder, complete versions with accessories, and recently the carded vintage stuff.  I would say I have maybe 60 or so complete loose figures in great shape (some of which I had and worked on completing), 50 or so junk figures from my childhood, and 16 carded vintage figures.  There is something special about the loose vintage for me...I guess because I played with them so much as a kid.  As far as carded goes, I am trying to limit myself to 2 or 3 a year...my wife helps with Xmas gifts and birthday gifts and the like.  I'd say my 2 favorite pieces are my blue snaggletooth and my loose Amanaman...2 figures I've picked up in the past year that I never had as a kid. Most sough after figure right now...probably the imperial dignitary...

I'm also into the vehicles...but I had few of these as a kid...so I will by the odd loose complete ship and in some cases, the original box it came in.  Less into the vehicles than the figures though!

I guess that's the sordid tale of Mink and his vintage toys!
"Enjoy your action figures guys...and remember, they're not dolls"

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »

I'm currently missing about 10 loose figures for my vintage collection, along with an accessory or two from figures I own.

I'd like to get the last few loose figures that I need as well, but i know as soon as I start down that road I'll want to upgrade my whole collection.  My focus for the last few years has been geared towards the MOC, I enjoy collecting carded and in doing so I'm putting together a set of figures that are in un-played with condition.  Only problem is, you can't play with them...  :fight: ;)

I've planned for years to build myself a glass covered display shelf (poster type, wall mounted) to help keep the dust off and improve the displayability of my loose collection.

Here is the long lost story of Darth Mink

Nice to hear your tale.  Good luck on tracking down the imperial dignitary and don't forget to post him or any MOC that you add to your collection in the latest vintage acquistion thread.  What dictates your choice for MOC's?  Do you go for character preferences, pricing/deals, have you focused on particular cardbacks or one of the three movies in particular?

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Watch out for rodents with lightsabers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »

Nice to hear your tale.  Good luck on tracking down the imperial dignitary and don't forget to post him or any MOC that you add to your collection in the latest vintage acquistion thread.  What dictates your choice for MOC's?  Do you go for character preferences, pricing/deals, have you focused on particular cardbacks or one of the three movies in particular?

I guess the 1st thing that dictates my choice is opportunity...I mean, you can't just go to any store and buy these.  They're very scarce and there aren't that many stores around here that have a decent selection.  My buddy tends to let me know when he receives new stock in his store and then I work something out with him for the item/items I want.  BUt that happens may 3 times a year max...again, not a very readily available product. I'm also pretty picky with the card...I don't like buying crap...and if I do have certain ones that I'm unsatisfied with, I try to upgrade to a better version. I try as much as possible to get a relatively creaseless card, that is both unpunched and free of price tags.  I don't really care about the bubble as long as the card is nice. Unpunched is extremely hard to find...hence my patience with these things. I'm not focusing on card backs, or what movie they're from or anything like that for now...just trying to find decent deals for items I might like to add to the collection.  That in itself takes time.  These things are pretty expensive to begin with...add onto that saving the loose vintage & vehicles, the regular modern 3 3/4 figures...I do limit myself a lot.  Its very easy in this hobby to get caught up in excess.  I'm very happy with adding a piece here and there and am no longer of the mindset that you ''MUST have everything'' in order to be happy. That mentality doesn't work for me anymore.  You should collect what you like, and that's it!
"Enjoy your action figures guys...and remember, they're not dolls"

THE Mike™

• Peace out dudes
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Vintage Rules.
    • View Profile
    • BountyHunterToys.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »

I'm a vintage collector at heart. It's what I grew up with, researched, and know the best. I have so many memories of Christmas mornings and Star Wars toys. I have two pictures of me in my toy room at home, one shows me on the couch, Christmas morning opening presents, french 12 back Star Wars figures are sitting on the cushion next to me, while I open what I'm sure is a Tie-Fighter. The 2nd picture shows me playing with the Droid Factory - wearing a stylish Popeye shirt. ;)

Having said that, my vintage collecting is done. I thinned out everything awhile back and now just have the basic assortment of figures. No variants, no POTF, nothing but the basic run.

MOC, I own one figure. Boba Fett on an original ESB card. I'd like to get a MOC Droids Fett someday - but I figure I've waiting this long, I can wait longer.
Wanna sell me your toys? Contact me!

www.bountyhuntertoys.com
118 Ottawa St. North
Hamilton, ON.

Also on Facebook at www.facebook.com/bhtoys

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »

I have so many memories of Christmas mornings and Star Wars toys.

My happiest memories (not necessarily in this order):

1) Getting the Millenium Falcon for Christmas.
2) That first "special" moment (with someone else).  :love0030: :rollfloorlaffsmiley:
3) Winning the city highschool basketball championship in grade 12.

EDITED: Jeez, I best put in the wedding & births of my 2 children lest the wife be reading over my shoulder at any point.  :speechless-smiley-004:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:50:41 PM by jjreason »

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

I remember picking up the whole set of 12 figures back in 1978 when they first came out.  Of course I opened them all and tossed the packages.  Over the next ten years of so I picked up quite a few figures as they came out, added the AT-AT, and Ewok Village playset, a Rancor, Dewback and Taun Taun.  Then they got packed away while I raised three daughters.
It was only in the 90's, when my girls were into comic books, that we visited a few of the Comic stores and saw what some of these loose vintage figures were selling for.  I dug out the boxes of toys that I had packed away and my collecting fever started anew.
It took a few years of visiting shops, toy shows and garage sales but I finally was able to complete my vintage set.  Since then, with major help from ebay, I have picked up most of the vehicles and creatures that I was missing, and I even have a couple of dozen carded vintage figures to round out my collection.

Hicks135

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:43:04 PM »

I'm definitely a vintage guy....I clearly remember seeing ANH at the drive-in with my parents when it came out.  For me, Empire was the big movie....I woould have been around 7 at the time and it was a huge deal then. 

I certainly had my share of figures and vehicles from the movies back then, some of which I still have today, and some that I gave to other kids to play with a few years ago.  I've always been a fan of the films, but haven't really explored the EU or Clone Wars very much.

It was actually the vintage collection coming out that got me back into collecting all this stuff again.  Once I saw the familliar cardbacks, it brought back a lot of memories of all the figures I had way back when.   I've gotten most of the vintage collection so far, and have also been getting the vehicles in vintage packaging....(no B-Wing, thank you Kmart)....which of course brought me back to original figures again.

I've been collecting mainly mint or very near mint loose examples from Episodes 4-6, and I'm really enjoying it once again.  I'm somewhere around 40-50 keepers to date, but I'm pretty picky about what I buy....which makes ebay loads of fun.... :winking0071:.  I have a few carded examples as well, and may work towards an ESB and ROTJ set.....the SW carded seems to be a little more money than I can justify. 

Even though the new figures are really great...nice sculpts, accessories and paint....I'm still drawn more to the vintage ones.  Probably has to do with the fond memories.

Anyway, it's great to find some fellow Canadian collectors on this site, and I'm looking forward to contributing around here.

weezer

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »

Hi I just joined this forum yesterday. I'm a vintage collector all the way. I pick up the odd Sideshow figure or GG mini bust, but vintage SW collectibles are what I live for.

Just thought I'd say hi.

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »

Hi I just joined this forum yesterday. I'm a vintage collector all the way. I pick up the odd Sideshow figure or GG mini bust, but vintage SW collectibles are what I live for.

Just thought I'd say hi.

Hello and welcome to snowtroopers.ca.  The vintage section can be a bit slow at times here, but don't let that stop you from coming by and firing some new life into it.  There are lots of helpful members here who can assit you with knowledge, advice or new pieces for your collection.  What does your current vintage collection mainly consist of?  Loose, Moc, vehicles, other?  What are your current goals for your collection?  Do you have specialty shops nearby that you frequent or are most of your purchases made via the internet?

weezer

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »

Thanks Thirdfloor,

I collect anything from 1970s-80s. Books, toys, games...

My vintage figure collection is nearly complete. I still need an A-wing pilot, Yakface, the Blue Snaggletooth and a wind-up R2 (last item is never going to happen... LOL).

All my figures are loose and I try to get them as C9/NM condition, with original accessories. I'm not into the coins, or variant figures, unless the figure has a huge difference in it's look. I also pick up the odd play set and vehicle from local toy shows (based in the GTA) and online.

My goals are to get a complete set of kenner figures, a Death Star play set (had one as a kid) and a complete droid factory. I'm also after a few vehicles from the ESB era.

I don't really go to shops around me. I find you can get what you need from members on forums like these or toy shows.

Thanks again for welcoming me to the forum.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:56:10 PM by weezer »

Holstein912

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »

Been a member here for a while and have posted a few times. For the most part I'm strictly a vintage 77-85 SW guy. I also collect 70's through 90's video games and video game systems/consoles. You're right when you say that modern SW stuff gets a lot more attention, I'm posting in a relatively recent, but two year old vintage SW post.

Some of my stuff in my stuffed collection room:

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »

Those are some great pics, thanks for posting them! :snowtroopers:

That is an impressive fleet of vintage ships and the video game collection is very sweet as well.  The shelves look awesome in the pyramid following the roofline.  Do you only collect loose or do you collect MOC as well?  What items are on your short list for pieces that you'd like to acquire?  What is your favorite piece in your collection?  Which is your favorite vintage console?

Holstein912

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 07:00:23 PM »

I only collect loose, I'd like to get double telescoping light sabers and a EV-9D9 Droid.

NES is my favorite console.

These pictures of theses pieces are shown at the time I received them and they still remain in my collection. For sentimental reasons they are my favorite.

Here's a look at more consoles:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169106
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 77
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 37 queries.