Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 01:02:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US vs. Canadian Cards  (Read 2613 times)

Darth McAdam

• Administrator
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
US vs. Canadian Cards
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »

I was just wondering what preference Canadian collectors have when it comes to getting Canadian or US cardbacks?  I guess TVC is different to previous lines where the card has been quite different (TSC and TAC spring to mind), but has anyone favoured US over Canadian for TVC, especially since not all of the figures have been released on Canadian cards?

Personally, I've tended to lean towards US cards, but that's primarily because I get most of them from a LCS who deals with Hasbro US.
http://www.rebelscum.com/ - Star Wars Collecting

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: US vs. Canadian Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:19:30 PM »

Having my choice I'd pick the Canadian one every time, just because there is some nuance of nostalgia seeing some Francais on the old-style cards.

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »

Personally I do prefer to get the figures on Canadian card, BUT... at the same time, until recently the US cards have been a more aesteticly pleasing card.  The generic cardbacks that Canadian runs have been stuck with in previous years have been a disappointment.  The 'starburst' look was horrible (OTC, Saga '06) in comparison to the US cards that had screen shots or charater associated photos for each individual figure.  Still, being a Canadian and having Canadian retail sources to purchase from leads me towards collecting Canadian cards.  With occasional sales and clearances its cheaper to buy at retail, for the first few waves anyways.  Later waves are safer to secure online but I still go with the Canadian cards when I have the option.  Since Canada never sees all the figures for a complete set I end up having no other option but to have US cards for the missing pieces.

On the topic of missing figures from the series on Canadian card vs U.S. can anyone confirm the following list as the only figures from the Vintage Collection to not appear on Canadian card,

VC20 Yoda on ROTS card    *ROTJ variant card showed up later
VC38 - VC51   *Stormtrooper VC41 appeared later on Return/Revenge of the Jedi cards but not the original ESB release.
VC56- VC61
VC66, VC67
VC97 - VC101
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:25:15 PM »

Having my choice I'd pick the Canadian one every time, just because there is some nuance of nostalgia seeing some Francais on the old-style cards.

This feel odd reading this after reading on a blu-ray forum people bashing canadian blu-ray covers because there is french on it....

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »

Personally I do prefer to get the figures on Canadian card, BUT... at the same time, until recently the US cards have been a more aesteticly pleasing card.  The generic cardbacks that Canadian runs have been stuck with in previous years have been a disappointment.  The 'starburst' look was horrible (OTC, Saga '06) in comparison to the US cards that had screen shots or charater associated photos for each individual figure.  Still, being a Canadian and having Canadian retail sources to purchase from leads me towards collecting Canadian cards.  With occasional sales and clearances its cheaper to buy at retail, for the first few waves anyways.  Later waves are safer to secure online but I still go with the Canadian cards when I have the option.  Since Canada never sees all the figures for a complete set I end up having no other option but to have US cards for the missing pieces.

On the topic of missing figures from the series on Canadian card vs U.S. can anyone confirm the following list as the only figures from the Vintage Collection to not appear on Canadian card,

VC20 Yoda on ROTS card    *ROTJ variant card showed up later
VC38 - VC51   *Stormtrooper VC41 appeared later on Return/Revenge of the Jedi cards but not the original ESB release.
VC56- VC61
VC66, VC67
VC97 - VC101

VC39 - Luke Skywalker Death Star Escape was released
VC61 - prototype mail away only english
VC66-VC67 - salacious crumb and mouse droid only in DS set

VC28 - Wedge Antilles not released on cdn card

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

This feel odd reading this after reading on a blu-ray forum people bashing canadian blu-ray covers because there is french on it....
I definitely prefer US in most cases, simply because of the clutter. I kinda get why blu ray collectors get annoyed with Canadian packaging, if you care about bluray packaging. That in itself is weird to me, I buy blurays for the movie. But I collect some toys for the packaging, so who am I to judge!

Nothing against the French language, it's just the loads of print you end up with that makes the look cluttered. Given it's impossible to get a complete set on Canadian cards, collecting a Canadian set becomes mixed anyway, so I end up choosing US if I have a choice. But more often than not I'm just thrilled to get the figure no matter what language it is. With vintage the look isn't drastically changed anyway.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:15:59 AM »

VC39 - Luke Skywalker Death Star Escape was released

I am pretty sure this one was NOT released in Canada - it was part of Wave 5 which was US-only (the wave that VC20 ROTS Yoda came out in).

Other than adding VC28 Wedge, looks like your list is complete, Thirdfloor.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 07:19:43 AM »

Luke came with the Ponda baba wave

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:26:31 AM by Goldenrod »

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »

I'll reiterate most of the above.  I'll go with the Canadian card where possible, with the exception of the starburst background and the TAC collection that had character specific cards.

While I have nothing against the French language or the law that requires it, when Hasbro went to tri-lingual cards, the card got too cluttered looking for me.  The difference was most notable on the cardbacks.  US had a nice photo of the character with a little write up.  Tri-lingual cards, had that if we were lucky, but typically had some warnings, copywrite info and distribution info for a seemingly endless # of countries.

Of course this only matters to carded collectors and a personal opinion of asthetics.

But then there's the lure of the 2nd Canadian carded 'Jawa'.  My money right now is on the VC20 Yoda.

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »

For me it didnt really matter what the cardback Canadian or US. It is wheather or not I could find the figure or not. As I am a carded collector, I have never been really concerned about what the background or whatever looked like I was more interested in the condition of the cardback. What I would prefer though is to have a universal cardback with a pic of the figure and a little bio as well. Then the cards can be adjusted to include the language needs ( bigger cards for non US versions to include space for the extra languages)

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »

So I guess the latest batch of vintage figures showing up has narrowed the list of figures not appearing on Canadian cardback.  With the addition of Wedge, Bespin Han, and Bariss Offee that I grabbed today, and the reports of Aalya, Dr. Evazan, 501 Clone, Kithaba being found the missing pieces now are

VC 38 212th Clone Trooper
VC 40 R5-D4
VC 42 Yavin Han
VC 43 Commander Gree
VC 44 Luke Dagobah
VC 45 Clone Trooper phase I
VC 46 AT-RT Driver
VC 47 General Lando
VC 48 Weequay Skiff
VC 49 Fi-Ek-Sirch
VC 50 Nom Anor ????? (he is pictured on the back of the Wedge figure I got so I think he's out there)
VC 97 Odd Ball
VC 98 Tarkin
VC 99 Nikto
VC 100 Starkiller
VC 101 Shae Visla
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170114
  • Total Topics: 14396
  • Online Today: 79
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 55
Total: 56

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 38 queries.