Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 06:20:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

61 Guests, 4 Users

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebelscum  (Read 8086 times)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
Re: Rebelscum
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »

Interesting thread. I can see how it could spiral into a bashing thread, but so far it seems pretty constructive. Kudos to Darth McAdam for being open with it.

I still use rebelscum as my go to site for news and their photo archive. Also I'll peruse the forums for current info as they usually have a more immediate source of info than the main page (as is the case with any news site with forums).

I have an account there but have very few posts, basically for the same reasons already mentioned. Too many posts and users and my voice just gets drowned out in the sea of other voices. I tend to only really post if I feel I have something to add, and it's difficult to add to such a huge pile of opinions already voiced. This isn't just a Rebelscum phenomenon, I feel the same about hisstank.com in the Joe community. Sites like Snowtroopers.ca allow me to feel I'm more part of the community.

The comment by Philip wise about not wanting people to only take is rather off-putting and ironic. The fact that I feel I can't contribute due to the overwhelming number of posts, and given his comment, makes me feel like I'll never be a part of that community that he is trying to espouse! I do understand what he's getting at, but the way it's put is rather blunt. It's especially interesting when my impression of him is that he is pretty much non-existent in the current community. Sure he is providing an amazing resource and place for people to interact, but his presence seems to be limited to website specific issues and not really engaging in the actual hobby. Perhaps he's more involved in the vintage section, which I don't frequent, but my impression of him is he's a former collector who is pretty hands off nowadays and is almost a mythical hermit type character. Who is Philip Wise? Other than the guy who owns rebelscum, I have no idea.

Anyway, it is still a great site and a fantastic resource. Really I think a lot of the issues with rebelscum are typical of the larger hobby sites out there for any given community.

So here's my big suggestion for the site, (which Darth McAdam already knows about ;) ).
If only the photo archive had a character listing tool like yojoe.com. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be able to click on the latest photo archive page of the latest Darth Vader figure and have a list (or better a series of thumbnails) of every Vader figure so I can compare them all on one page. This would be an INCREDIBLY useful tool that I am amazed they didn't include years ago. It would be useful to new collectors for sifting through all the versions of characters. It would be useful to me since I am purging my collection and keeping the ultimate version of each character.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is currently no way to search the photo archive by character, is there? Also, if a new Vader comes out, there's no way right now to go to rebelscum and find all the other Vaders to compare it to. If I don't specifically know about the evolutions sets, how would I even know that that Vader even exists. I won't know to look for it. To incorporate that now would be a massive undertaking though, so I don't see it happening soon.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »

Oooh great idea - if anyone knows how to filter their searches on the RS photo archive that would be awesome! By date & by character would be 2 amazing filters to be able to add.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »

If only the photo archive had a character listing tool ... to be able to click on the latest photo archive page of the latest Darth Vader figure and have a list (or better a series of thumbnails) of every Vader figure so I can compare them all on one page. This would be an INCREDIBLY useful tool

YES!!!! This would be so awesome! I have been attempting my own spreadsheet version for this purpose, for cross-referencing use. But this would be so much better. The "back references" in the notes section of most figures are a quasi-form of this, but still not enough for my purposes. If you guys could implement this, I'd never use another site again!  :love0030:

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »

I have made some good friends on RS and actually met quite a few of them who have helped me greatly with my collection. The collecting community is very strong there and very helpful.

This was the post though, that made me a bit sour (the first part).

It's really been awhile since I had to step in and take action on something like this. Probably there are many here that either don't know or don't remember a few basic things that are dead set in stone by me.

The forum is not a democracy.

There is no freedom of speech in this forum.

The forum is provided here so people can hang out together and talk about Star Wars collecting in a manner that's mutually respectful.

I do not care how much you are pissed off at companies like efx, no matter how much you may feel they deserve it. You may not be disrespectul of them in this forum.

I'm sure there are other forums that wouldn't mind having your participation, regardless of its venom.

If you cannot live with this, leave. Right now. Just be done with it and move on. And no, I don't want to see any goodbye threads. I just want you gone.

If you continue, we will permanently remove your access to the forum.

Darth Chadus

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 06:02:10 PM »

Interesting thread. I can see how it could spiral into a bashing thread, but so far it seems pretty constructive. Kudos to Darth McAdam for being open with it.

I still use rebelscum as my go to site for news and their photo archive. Also I'll peruse the forums for current info as they usually have a more immediate source of info than the main page (as is the case with any news site with forums).

I have an account there but have very few posts, basically for the same reasons already mentioned. Too many posts and users and my voice just gets drowned out in the sea of other voices. I tend to only really post if I feel I have something to add, and it's difficult to add to such a huge pile of opinions already voiced. This isn't just a Rebelscum phenomenon, I feel the same about hisstank.com in the Joe community. Sites like Snowtroopers.ca allow me to feel I'm more part of the community.

The comment by Philip wise about not wanting people to only take is rather off-putting and ironic. The fact that I feel I can't contribute due to the overwhelming number of posts, and given his comment, makes me feel like I'll never be a part of that community that he is trying to espouse! I do understand what he's getting at, but the way it's put is rather blunt. It's especially interesting when my impression of him is that he is pretty much non-existent in the current community. Sure he is providing an amazing resource and place for people to interact, but his presence seems to be limited to website specific issues and not really engaging in the actual hobby. Perhaps he's more involved in the vintage section, which I don't frequent, but my impression of him is he's a former collector who is pretty hands off nowadays and is almost a mythical hermit type character. Who is Philip Wise? Other than the guy who owns rebelscum, I have no idea.

Anyway, it is still a great site and a fantastic resource. Really I think a lot of the issues with rebelscum are typical of the larger hobby sites out there for any given community.

I totally agree with everything that you mentioned above Darth Cujo.  That is exactly how I use Rebelscum.  The few times I have posted, I go back to a day later and not only has nobody commented or added to my input, it is now back about 10 pages. lol  As you also mentioned it is a good place to pick up rumours, and more uptodate information than the front page. It does seem that alot of the threads do end up with members exchanging insults.    That being said Rebelscum will continue to be my first US stop.  However I do find the post by Phillip Wise that Ambasah dug up to be a little disturbing/concerning.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »

I'm going to agree with IanToronto on this one.  What's the point of this thread exactly?  Are we not grown ups and have better things to do than bash other websites and their forums.  This is the first thread I've read on Snowtroopers that is turn off to coming here.  If having a bad experience at a website is the worst part of your day, you're not really having that bad of day.....

This will be my only post on this thread.

So I'm going to go back on what I said about being my only post.  When I posted this, there were a couple of comments that I thought weren'te entirely constructive and have seen threads like this spiral out of control in the past.  This seems to have taken a different direction, and for that I apologize if I offended anyone by sounding like I was accusing this of being out of control before it had the chance to do so.

I realize this was started by someone looking for comments, but again, not sure of the reasoning.  If most people find the r/s forums a negative experience, why continue to go, or respond to comments that are negative or antagonistic in nature?  I go there for the front page and and photo archive/checklists and that is all.  I haven't been on the forums there since I found Snowtroopers.  I find this place the best place for news and info for Canadian collectors.

Cheers,

FF :u:

Cmdr Bacara

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • I whacked Ki-Adi Mundi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »

I would point out that the "firing" of the popular Dan Curto rubbed a lot of people the wrong way too, especially after all his years of running the photo archive.

Darth McAdam

• Administrator
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »

OK...it's late, I'm tired, and I still have to watch The Clone Wars, so I just want to address one of the points raised for now, and then I'll come back to the others over the next couple of days, but again, I want to thank you all for your honesty and willingness to contribute to this thread.

Curto wasn't fired; he just made it out to look that way.  The truth of it was, he quit long before he parted ways with Rebelscum.  There was stuff going on before the whole thing went sour, and the suggestion that he was running the photo archive is also incorrect.  Sure, he contributed a lot, but he also took credit for a lot of other people's work, to give the impression that he was doing it all, and in the end, he pretty much gave up on it, and started teasing people on his FB page, instead of putting it on the site where everyone could see it.

That's all I'm going to say for now, but he's not the victim that he made himself out to be.
http://www.rebelscum.com/ - Star Wars Collecting

RyDel

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »

Something I've noticed over the years is that people start collecting sites because they are collectors themselves who are looking for a community to engage with about their hobby. Totally makes sense right? As collectors we're always looking for people who share the same love for collecting. What is unfortunate is it seems that once a site becomes really popular the people who run them find themselves trying to turn their collecting hobby into their new job. I understand it takes a lot of work and little thanks to give a site continual content and news, but what I see happening is as soon as a site picks up big sponsors and advertisers is their content starts to lean towards promotion and advertising for the said sponsors, and away from promoting the hobby and the people who enjoy it.

In my experience as soon as a site reaches that point I start to lose interest. I don't want to be marketed to. I just want to read and discuss things about the hobby. Just my opinion. I guess popularity is a double edged sword. Personally I can't stand a lot of the sites out there today because of this. Between the continual promotion of price gouging sponsors, and inner fighting that goes on between different factions of the collecting community I can't be bothered. Especially after trying to have this conversation and being run out of dodge numerous times it made me realize that popularity and money can corrupt even the most die hard collectors.

Anyways...just my rant about collecting sites. Snowtroopers is the only forum I post on now. I like the fact that it's Canadian, and that everyone is polite and open to discussions without all the constant drama.  :u:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »

I honestly didn't know there was any hostility towards rebelscum until the Curto thing happened.  Years ago I just jumped in and started posting about how much I hated the prequels and made many "friends".

I kept at it, learned a lot about dealing with all opinions, find it a place where there is a healthy balance of love/hate for all things SW (or not all things...).

I tried entering into some discussions over at the Jedi Temple archives however.... found quite a few extremely "difficult" types ruling the roost there, though not mods, I'm talking very active members.

I like rebelscum's classifieds, SW film discussions and sometimes their off-topic sections just to see what fellow fans think of, say, the Walking Dead or Fringe or whatever.

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »

Like others I appreciate RS for the photo archive, overall wealth of information and many useful topic discussions.

I'm not sure how high on the "RS animosity" meter you have me pegged but it has spiked above its normal quiescent state due to the image incident and RS's handling of it. Initially I was annoyed at RS because my images appeared at RS without proper attribution but you (McAdam) said they were sent to RS by some unethical individual so most of my annoyance has shifted to that individual whomever he is.

I'm not letting RS off the hook entirely as I feel the amended entry is insufficient as there no indication the entry has been edited which glosses over how the images were acquired and why the entry was edited. The important fact that I am a member of Snowtroopers and not RS is not mentioned. This would be moot had I submitted the images myself but I did not. I have been told RS policy is to not mention other collecting websites on the front page for whatever reason. I think that policy is wrong in my and other cases because it prevents proper attribution being given. I feel front page articles at RS should have the source(s) properly attributed as a basic journalistic principle.

Anyways I'm stopping for the moment.

BTW has RS admonished whoever submitted my uncredited images?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »

I hate to keep beating the attribution drum but there's something else that bothered me about the original RS entry for my misappropriated images. The article was not properly attributed and did not give a name for who sent in the images instead, there was a vague reference about "Rebelscum reader". Why the vague reference? I can think of some reasons but I prefer to hear RS's side of it.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

Darth McAdam

• Administrator
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:39 PM »

Apologies for not getting back to this sooner.

I'll address General Brashin's question about the story with the misappropriated images first and then follow-up on any other outstanding points.  As I had told GB in a PM, the general news team were sent the images from a RS reader.  I remember now that there was no name included in the post on the front page, and to be honest, I had meant to ask why that was the case, as usually we will refer to people by the first name and first initial of their surname. I also owe you an apology as there was a link attached to the email that we received and this was overlooked when the story was put up.  So in answer to your question, there has been no admonishment, as we consider the mistake to be ours.

As GB pointed out in his post at the weekend, our site policy is not to link to other collecting sites and while this will no doubt fill you all with dismay, I can tell you that the team are in discussion about addressing this.  There are reasons as to why the site has taken this standpoint, but we also recognise that proper credit should be given.

I know that will likely sound like a bunch of excuses or a cop-out, but I can assure you that these matters are being taken seriously.

Darth Cujo's suggestion for the Photo Archive is an excellent one, and I will be spending some time investigating how we might feasibly do something like that.  Thanks DC!

In terms of the remainder of the other points, I get the impression that the majority of complaints relate to the behaviour of many of the RS forum members and that is something that I will be feeding back to the team to make them aware of how said behaviour is negatively affecting the site's reputation.

I can also see how Philip's post could rub people up the wrong way; if I can get some insight into his reasons for saying what he did, I will let you know.

I'm not looking to use this thread as a recruitment drive.  I'd rather the site content be the reason for why you would want to regularly visit RS, but I also recognise the desire to support a purely Canadian site.

If I've still managed not to answer anybody's question(s), please let me know, but if you'd rather just be done with this topic, I'm more than happy for everyone to move along, move along...
http://www.rebelscum.com/ - Star Wars Collecting

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »

I remember now that there was no name included in the post on the front page, and to be honest, I had meant to ask why that was the case, as usually we will refer to people by the first name and first initial of their surname. I also owe you an apology as there was a link attached to the email that we received and this was overlooked when the story was put up.  So in answer to your question, there has been no admonishment, as we consider the mistake to be ours.

Before I accept your apology, I have a few questions. By a link attached do you mean there was an attachment with a link in it or a link in the body? This surprise link reveal apparently absolves the Rebelscum reader of blame.

What is the provenance of the images? Did he copy the images from Snowtroopers directly or just provide links?

Thanks

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »

Rebelscum sent me a Happy Birthday notice via email this month.  I appreciated getting it and was surprised by it, as I do not remember getting one before.   I think I have less than 5 post on RS vs. a few more here.  I think the first post I did was I asked who Philip Wise was because of the amazing pictures of his collection room/ building,  shortly after I noticed the site's first page stated Philip Wise presents Rebelscum.  So I think I have greatly contributed to RS.   When I have posted after my visit post it was only when I had information about a topic that had not been posted.  I only use the forms when I am visiting the states to find out what is available so I know what to look for. 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169105
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 61
Total: 65

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.