Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 06:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

59 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebelscum  (Read 8113 times)

Darth McAdam

• Administrator
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
Re: Rebelscum
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 01:43:54 AM »

Before I accept your apology, I have a few questions. By a link attached do you mean there was an attachment with a link in it or a link in the body? This surprise link reveal apparently absolves the Rebelscum reader of blame.

What is the provenance of the images? Did he copy the images from Snowtroopers directly or just provide links?

Thanks

The images were attached to the email and lower down was a link to your original post; that is what was overlooked.
http://www.rebelscum.com/ - Star Wars Collecting

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »

As GB pointed out in his post at the weekend, our site policy is not to link to other collecting sites and while this will no doubt fill you all with dismay, I can tell you that the team are in discussion about addressing this.  There are reasons as to why the site has taken this standpoint, but we also recognise that proper credit should be given.

For my own curiosity, are you able to say publicly why RS doesn't link to other collecting sites?  Is this due to concerns that a link might take readers to a site that would potentially expose them to trojans/viruses via pop-up ads?  I'm assuming that RS would still at least attribute credit to another collecting site (without linking to that site directly, leaving it up to the user to google for it themselves if they wish to go to that site).

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »

The images were attached to the email and lower down was a link to your original post; that is what was overlooked.

Ok, Rebelscum reader (who I'll call RSR) appears to be in the clear although I still have more questions about RSR's email, but enough of that for now. Like Gul Danar, "I accept your apology, but I do not accept your explanation.", or at least not for now. Your explanation while plausible is unverified. There is a person here at Snowtroopers who can verify it, somebody who I'll call OST for original or originating Snowtrooper who is the original source for RSR.

I am somewhat surprised OST hasn't spoken up and cut this discussion short. OST could have spoken up or PMed me at the beginning of the fracas or any point in between and said, "Hey, I provided those images and the link with proper attribution to RS or somebody else but RS mishandled it."

OST has to exist because the only way to see the images here at Snowtroopers is by logging in since I posted them as attachments. OST right clicks (Windows bias here) and saves images. The images and link are sent to RS maybe directly by OST. Perhaps OST sent them to RSR who sent them to RS or perhaps there is a small chain which leads to RSR, but certainly not a long one given the narrow time frame in which events happened. In any case it doesn't matter; OST is at the beginning of the chain.

There are two possibilities here. The first one is OST and RSR are the same person. While OST might be slightly ashamed to confess his secret love for RS, it's no biggie and he should have little problem admitting to be OST/RSR.

The second one is OST sent the images and link to RSR or someone in contact with RSR through however long a chain. Well there's even less of a problem for OST as he was just sharing images with a friend/acquaintance and bears no blame.

I don't know why OST has not spoken out to set matters straight as RS has taken full responsibility on their end except for proper attribution. Now more than ever it's time for OST to step forward and reveal himself so that we can gasp or not, we can laugh about those lovable RS bumblers, verify the RS story and move on, although I would still have some questions for OST. Until that happens, I'm not moving on.

EDIT: correct typo
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:46:43 PM by General Brashin »
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

Darth Chadus

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »

I hope you get your concerns answered General Brashin.  But on a related note, it looks as though Rebelscum has changed their position on referencing/linking to other collector sites. 

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Darth_Vader_Packaging_Design_Confirmed_For_July_Releases_149916.asp

Good to see Adam,  Im sure you had something to do with this!

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »

I don't know why OST has not spoken out to set matters straight as RS has taken full responsibility on their end except for proper attribution. Now more than ever it's time for OST to step forward and reveal himself so that we can gasp or not, we can laugh about those lovable RS bumblers, verify the RS story and move on, although I would still have some questions for OST. Until that happens, I'm not moving on.

EDIT: correct typo

So to be clear, you're not mad a rebelscum anymore, but you're mad at someone, but not sure who and not sure why?

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:23 PM »

So to be clear,

Obviously, I haven't been explaining myself as well as I thought I was.

you're not mad a rebelscum anymore,

No, I haven't absolved Rebelscum. As I wrote I haven't accepted their explanation because their story hasn't been verified. If it is verified then I will absolve RS.

but you're mad at someone,

No, at this stage I'm puzzled and slightly annoyed, but could become madder if OST doesn't speak up. Not enough time has passed though for that to have happened.

but not sure who

Yes, this much is true, although as I have explained it is a Snowtrooper. If I had access to the system login files I could narrow it down further but I don't think that's needed yet.

and not sure why?

No, I thought the reason was clear. OST could save RS and me a lot of time and effort by just speaking up now; verifying the RS story and this affair would be pretty much over.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »

Speaking up, even in a pm would be good, though I am pretty sure that the inciting action was not done with any intention of causing trouble, probably just an active member of that Site and this who thought they were sharing info with the larger collecting community.

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2013, 08:05:27 AM »

... though I am pretty sure that the inciting action was not done with any intention of causing trouble, probably just an active member of that Site and this who thought they were sharing info with the larger collecting community.

Indeed if so, even less reason not to speak up, but if OST has a reason not to speak up then please PM me instead so I can let RS off the hook.

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »

RS has replaced my images on the weekend with one taken by a amusingly named RS reader: http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbro_Large_Size_Figure_Update_149776.asp.

This is a side issue but what kind of a creditable "news" organization makes major changes to a story without noting a change has been made and what the change was. This would be seem to be a violation of Philip Wise's: "The history of Star Wars collecting, both vintage and modern, casual and professional, is what I'm concerned about." http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1083326-7/

It maybe be slightly out of context since Philip was talking about preserving forum history so that there would an accurate and complete history, but I think it's a small stretch to preserving SW collecting news history and indeed RS maintains a news archive.

RS made a slight mistake when editing the article. At the end they refer to clicking on thumbnails which was correct when they using my images but it should now just say thumbnail.

Back to waiting for OST.

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »

personally, I think this thread has run its course...

jediburrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »

Wow, nice name. How lame  :shakehead:

Darth Mink

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Watch out for rodents with lightsabers
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »

Agreed whole-heartedly. 
"Enjoy your action figures guys...and remember, they're not dolls"

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »

Agreed whole-heartedly.

I'll second.

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »

Well I just might like to say one last thing but I am awaiting some further information and no it's not OST as it seems obvious he won't be speaking up.

Darth McAdam

• Administrator
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 01:43:22 AM »

GB, I've messaged you and I shall now close this thread.  Like everyone has said, this topic is done...
http://www.rebelscum.com/ - Star Wars Collecting
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169126
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 59
Total: 61

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 38 queries.