Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 06:55:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

62 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking of Threads  (Read 2309 times)

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Locking of Threads
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:40:39 PM »

As a long-term member of this site I've recently been put-off by the locking of the two current previous threads in this off topic section.  I'm NOT put-off because I personally feel that I needed to say or hear anymore from those two topics, what bothers me is way those two topics were shut down.  Hundreds of threads on this site run their course without the need for a mod to step in and lock it down.  Members who are interested in threads/topics read and respond when they feel its needed then the thread eventually loses steam on its own accord and fades away into the back pages.  I'm not advocating that there is never a reason to lock a thread, but I'm failing to see the reasoning behind the lock-down of the two threads I'm refering to.  In each of those two threads there was no name calling, personal attacks, racism, bigotry or vulgar language used.  Those threads were opened for discussion between any members that cared to involve themselves in the topic.  Any members that didn't care about the subject were not forced to read or involve themselves in the topic.  Personally I think that anyone who feels that a thread has run it's course should just stop re-visiting thread, I don't see how posting that feeling is helping or adding to the thread.  Just because you don't feel the thread is valid that shouldn't stop those who do find it valid from continuing their discussion.  Nobody is forcing you to come back to that thread when you see that there has been a new post made in it.  Just use the "mark read" button and move on.

My opinion on why the two threads were locked-down is that members of a different site (the one who's name cannot be spoken) are also members here and couldn't handle a truthful discussion of facts and opinions that contradict their opinions of the site in question.  I am not claiming that this is the true reason, but it is how I perceive the situation from following the thread.  I'm just not seeing what harm was being done it leaving those threads open and just letting them lose steam and fade.  On the site in question threads are locked down all the time because of people not being able to control themselves and their emotions when posting about their toys, but here on this site I've always always read nothing but curtousy and respect for each other and have never felt that we needed to have such a heighten state of parental advisory.  The caption under the Off Topic thread is "Feel free to discuss anything you like" but that has now been shown to be untrue.  As I stated at the begining of this rant I don't even feel that I'm missing information by those two threads being locked, I just think it's weird that they were.

Guess I'll wait now for the ironical locking of this thread.

:snowtroopers:
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Locking of Threads
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »

generally speaking, I think a thread should/can be locked if the issue is better handled via pms.

I agree a thread can and should usually "run its course" but to rehash something (despite the best of intentions) is not necessary in my opinion.

Another example would be continuing to bump a thread with no one else really adding value or participating...of course sales threads are the exception  :)

Darth McAdam

• Administrator
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
    • Rebelscum
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »

I appreciate that it may look like I locked the thread because I didn't want to hear any more negative comments aimed at RS, but I can assure you that my reasons for doing so were largely due to the impressions I was getting that the thread had run its course and forum members were getting sick of discussing another site. And let's face it, the reason for starting the thread was to understand people's views a little better, as I had observed some anti-RS sentiment. If RS isn't aware of the reasons for the negativity, there's little chance that the site will change in response to any complaints.

I do however take your point that I could have just left the thread to die a natural death, and I'd be happy to unlock it if that's the general consensus.
http://www.rebelscum.com/ - Star Wars Collecting

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:13:24 AM »

and I'll add to that by saying I locked the second thread as it seemed to be starting up where a thread that was ALREADY LOCKED had left off.  I felt the first thread went off on a tangent from the the original idea of the thread and that the persons involved should have just dealt with it through pm's.

While many threads to lose interest for most people, those threads have some sort of positve ideas, thoughts or information relavant to the collecting world.  This didn't.

It was simply someone who was upset about a picture they took on private property without permission, of an item they didn't own (and not even sure if they bought), that wasn't copyprotected, that was taken to share the information on this site of an item being released, being used by someone else for the EXACT same purpose on another site and the person who took the photo was upset they weren't given kudos for it.

In this, the digital age, it's simply a quick right and left click away for anyone to take any photo that is posted on the web and save it to their device/pc.  If, at this point, people aren't aware of that, then it's on them.  Buyer Beware, Caveat Emptor, etc, etc, etc.  If the worst part of your day is having a grainy picture that you took while on private property without permission, of a product you probably didn't buy, and you took it so other people would know it's available at retail, and someone else used your photo, that you don't have any kind of copyprotect on, and you freely posted on the internet for the whole world to see but they didn't give you props for taking the photo, if that is truely the worst part of you day, you are indeed having a good day.

I really didn't want to rant about this, but this topic coming up for a third time it ridiculous.  I'm done with it.  Feel free to lock this one on me, and my account, cause this is just dumb.

:u:FF

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »

I really didn't want to rant about this, but this topic coming up for a third time it ridiculous.  I'm done with it.  Feel free to lock this one on me, and my account, cause this is just dumb.

:u:FF

You've clearly missed the point of this new topic.  The content of the two previous threads has nothing to do with this thread, therefor nothing is being brought up for a third time.  To re-itterate, my point is that other than yourself the members here are able to have proper conversations with each other and discuss facts and opinions without getting upset to the point that they feel their own personal accounts should be locked down.  I feel it actually looks bad on the site itself to have a moderator make such a statement on multiple occasions.  If you don't want to read or re-vist a thread, then don't.  Who is forcing you?  Lord Jawas is the assigned mod for this section, so I would think that he would be the only one 'required' to read them.  I don't go through each thread determining the amount of validity or relivance that it has towards the collecting world and I'm not sure why you feel that you've been assigned to that duty, but in an Off Topic section of a site there should be no requirement of relivance towards collecting, hence the title of the section.  If the moderators felt that the topic was getting off course or that information should have been going through pm's instead of posts then they could have contacted the relevant members via pm and asked them to proceed that way without locking the thread.  If the member refused and decided to continue to load the thread with inappropriate posts then I could see locking it down, but that's not the way it went down.  Also there would have been no need to lock the second thread if the first had not been locked because the second thread would have not been started.  The post that started the second thread would have most likely been the final post in the first thread before it faded away into obscurity.

The main point of this thread was to try to point out that for the last decade+ this site has run very smoothly without the need for the interference and locking of threads.  Why are we starting now?  By making aggressive posts in which things are refered to as dumb and threatening to leave the site your only supporting my initial assesment of the situation.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »

I think Ambasah said it best - sometimes personal conversations & the discussion of seemingly private issues between 2 people are best had via private message.

No one is suggesting your discussion points were invalid - more that they were seemingly more suitable for you guys to discuss as opposed to airing for the forum to see (and weigh in, bringing a greater than normal likelihood of arguments ensuing due to opposing viewpoints).

Personally, I started feeling like the conversation was more of a private thing that was being done in public for whatever reason AND that they had started going in circles.

You're not going to see a big increase in the number of threads being locked, we just don't operate that way here very often. I agree it's better to let it run its course. In these cases I supported the locking - but again that's my personal opinion based on my above-stated reason (I felt it was more a private matter between 2 people).

I do really hope that an agreement is (or even better has been) reached.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:46:47 PM by jjreason »

LordJawas

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »

Wow, go to Cuba for a week, and look what I miss.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »

If the worst part of your day is having a grainy picture that you took while on private property without permission, of a product you probably didn't buy, and you took it so other people would know it's available at retail, and someone else used your photo, that you don't have any kind of copyprotect on, and you freely posted on the internet for the whole world to see but they didn't give you props for taking the photo, if that is truely the worst part of you day, you are indeed having a good day.

I second that. Case closed. Nothing worth arguing again and again...

(I felt it was more a private matter between 2 people).

I also agree. At some point, it even looked like a personal hunt to force someone to reveal himself out in the open for the major sins he did. This was not necessary. It felt like it was going way too far. All this just for a digital picture of a toy? Sorry, I simply can't understand why it was worth all of this...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »

If the worst part of your day is having a grainy picture that you took while on private property without permission, of a product you probably didn't buy, and you took it so other people would know it's available at retail, and someone else used your photo, that you don't have any kind of copyprotect on, and you freely posted on the internet for the whole world to see but they didn't give you props for taking the photo, if that is truely the worst part of you day, you are indeed having a good day.

I second that. Case closed. Nothing worth arguing again and again...

(I felt it was more a private matter between 2 people).

I also agree. At some point, it even looked like a personal hunt to force someone to reveal himself out in the open for the major sins he did. This was not necessary. It felt like it was going way too far. All this just for a digital picture of a toy? Sorry, I simply can't understand why it was worth all of this...

For the purposes of keeping this thread on topic I think it would be helpful if the content of the other two threads was not brought up, especially if what you are talking about is that you don't want to talk about it anymore(?).  I started this thread by stating that the content of those two threads was not the issue I was raising.  I had no personal involvement in the photo issue and could care less about issue, the same as many of you have posted. 

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »

This isn't meant to be a comprehensive list or anything like that, but locking OR deletion of threads may take place if the following are occurring OR look like they are likely to occur:

- bullying
- namecalling
- spamming links to your auctions hosted elsewhere
- trolling (aka baiting someone or trying your hardest to incite an argument by intentionally acting like a donkey)
- dragging what are decidedly personal differences into the public forum
- adult content (incl language that is over the top)

Folks involved in the above noted types of behavior will almost always receive a personal note from one of the mods, usually after one or more forumites have decided to report the post as something they don't think is suitable. When that happens we click the link to have a look, then have to decide whether or not to take an action - then decide what action to take. We have limited options.

We want provide a family friendly and informative atmosphere that is inclusive to everyone who wants to hit up the site, even just to read. Arguments will surely happen as opinions are like various parts of folks' anatomies - we all have (at least) one.

If we see a post that seems divisive, or seems like it might create or foster the growth of a rift between 2 members or different groups of members, we have to take a good look and determine whether or not we should lock the thread. It really doesn't happen often, and the intention of it is to preserve the sense of community we have here, not to stifle peoples' freedom of speech in any way.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:32:46 PM by jjreason »

Brent Peconi

• Founding Member of the "Imperial Chatters"
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Setting Sail in Galaxies Far Far Away....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »

I think everyone needs to chill and be civil. We all love this place lets not let personal things take away from the reason why we are all here.

We are SW fans from the North - this is what sets us apart from anyone else.
Proud Member of the Southern Ontario Crew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169100
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 39 queries.